Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Thinking of getting into fpv

Ayayeron

Reaction score
I’m really thinking of getting into Drone racing and I’m still on the wall on if I should build my own or just buy one and start a new little project I’ve been you tubing a lot of things so I’m just trying to decide if I wanna go freestyle or racing does anybody know if I do get a very fast Drone will it still be able to freestyle

I’m really thinking of getting into Drone racing and I’m still on the wall on if I should build my own or just buy one and start a new little project I’ve been you tubing a lot of things so I’m just trying to decide if I wanna go freestyle or racing does anybody know if I do get a very fast Drone will it still be able to freestyle
Oh certainly! Freestyle is however you want. As for the start I would build instead of buy. You're guaranteed to break it and need to make repairs and whatnot. It's best if you know how it all works before a simple crash grounds you permanently.

Well just to make it tougher for you I’ll give you a different opinion. Get a good transmitter and a simulator. See if you like it. It’s not as easy as it looks to start out.

Then get goggles and a bnf (bind and fly) toothpick or tinywhoop quad and fly and crash repeatedly. They’re pretty durable.

At that point you’re ready to race or freestyle and get a quad that you really want.

Just my opinion but I think it would be frustrating and time consuming (meaning a long time before you actually fly) to start out building.

Well just to make it tougher for you I’ll give you a different opinion. Get a good transmitter and a simulator. See if you like it. It’s not as easy as it looks to start out.

Then get goggles and a bnf (bind and fly) toothpick or tinywhoop quad and fly and crash repeatedly. They’re pretty durable.

At that point you’re ready to race or freestyle and get a quad that you really want.

Just my opinion but I think it would be frustrating and time consuming (meaning a long time before you actually fly) to start out building.
Oh certainly! Im a hands on type guy myself but ive known plenty who started with sims though, definently takes the fear out of learning

I’m just trying to decide if I wanna go freestyle or racing does anybody know if I do get a very fast Drone will it still be able to freestyle
Racing is one of the fastest ways to pick up FPV. Get the original 1s Tinyhawk, set up a course indoors, and rip it. You're going to be thrilled the first time you even make it around the course, then the first time you get through a whole battery without crashing. Only once you're pretty good at flying does "freestyle vs racing" mean anything, it's just less abstract when you have a feeling for how these things fly.

I tell everyone the same thing: start on a micro, build a 3 inch when you're ready to fly outdoors, and once you're good at that you can do anything you want with FPV.

I have a mavic zoom so I can fly just need to get used to the different controls but lately I’ve been having a need for speed and my mavic falls short in that category. My passion is drones and I know I’ll like it

The Tinyhawk is a great training drone. You can also get familiar with Betaflight.

Im gonna start with the transmitter first then on to the build while I practice on some simulators I already have the one I want just need to build it

I have a mavic zoom so I can fly just need to get used to the different controls but lately I’ve been having a need for speed and my mavic falls short in that category. My passion is drones and I know I’ll like it
Exactly what happened to me, picked up a Mavic, love it, but I kept putting it as risk. I want to fly low and fast through the trees!

You might consider the Qx7s, it's a little bit more, but it comes with a battery and an internal charging module.

Also, check this guy out. Stu is great, but he's no racer, and he tends to sugar coat things a little bit.

Reactions: Ayayeron
I'll say again, if you haven't flown before, start smaller. These things have a learning curve, and you're gonna sh!t your pants when you see how fast it is IRL.

This is my trainer:

I think this is one of the better budget BNF models right now:

You know what I think I will start off with the tiny hawk then work my way up
Can't go wrong.

I started with a six inch build right off the bat, 2408 motors (just about the biggest you can get) and a 1300 6s battery. Yeah, it was terrifying. Not just because it was so powerful and difficult to get used to, but also as my very first build I was struggling with "hardening the build" correctly. Basically, hooking up the wires to the right pads is half the battle, the other half is learning to build in such a way that it survives our daily crashes.

Short version is: I couldn't fly it. I didn't really pick up FPV until I got a micro (a brushed KingKong 65) and built up my confidence with that.

These things have a learning curve, and you're gonna sh!t your pants when you see how fast it is IRL.
I really shouldn't have said it this way, I'm glad you didn't take offense; I should have worded it about me.

I found the learning curve pretty steep, and I just about wet myself when I realized what I had created :)

And don't be fooled, that Tinyhawk can RIP IT UP. It's not just a "beginner drone", experienced pilots still have a lot of fun with these micros.

Last edited:
You’ll be amazed at what the Tinyhawk can do. I took the same advice and glad that I did.

The first few weeks I couldn’t fly for more than 10 seconds without crashing. These things are fast and the Tinyhawk can take it. In the beginning the simulator was very helpful.

Once you can fly a full pack without crashing it’s time to graduate.

For me it was up to toothpicks. The Tinyhawk Freestyle and the GEPRC Phantom toothpick are nice next steps in my opinion and from my limited experience.

I'm kinda waffling, part of me really wants to learn the high tilt "matty tricks" and the only way for me to do it realistically is to get a sim and bash around in there. My controller has a bad USB port, so it wasn't an option when I started. Now any F4 can connect your controller to a sim in theory, so I should bite the bullet and get set up.

I don't know if you're already familiar with the high tilt style, if not here's a piece that still makes me weep
He's flying with his camera at 65 degrees, that's what lets him fly upside down

Very nice effect. It’s hard for me to picture the position of the quad when it’s showing upside down. I think it’s actually at/around an inverted 45’ angle to the ground, but being disoriented It would definitely be hard to maneuver.

I’ll take a look at the sim to see if it allows for that setting and type of flight and let you know.

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax