Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Thoughts on goggles

Roadking

Reaction score
Website
aerialdroneservice.myportfolio.com
I'm currently using the Eachine EV800D goggles and they are working fine, but I am considering getting a new pair. Part of the reason is that I wear glasses for close up (Far sided), and the Eachines cannot be worn comfortably with glasses.

It's my understanding that some goggles, like the Fatsharks are more like viewing an object 6 feet away, rather than 6 inches away like the Eachine. If that's correct, I should be able to see much better.

It would also be nice for my wife or friends to see what I'm seeing if I let then wear the Eachines while I fly.

So here is what I'm considering:

1 - Fatshark HDO bundled with Rapidfire & Lumenier antennas.

2 - ORQA

3 - Skyzone SKYo30

I'm shying away from the DJI's because I fly mostly toothpicks right now, and I don't see me spending $180 for their Air module for every quad in the future. Plus it wouldn't fit in a toothpick anyway. That's my logic anyway, as much as I would like the clear vid.

As always, I appreciate you thoughts and opinions. It's very helpful to hear from others who have experience, although two of my considerations are new and unknown. Maybe that's a clue right there. ;)

I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to avoid saying later "gee, for a little more I should have gotten those".

If there are others you think I should have also considered please let me know that too.

Thank you. Your help is appreciated.

Reactions: RPR and Wayno52
I think right now its a waiting game to see who comes out with the "best" HD system. I would not invest in a goggle change out right now... but if your looking for your first goggles now to get flying, Go with the HDO Fatshark. Im a buy the best you can get kinda guy.

Wait dude DJI drops a hammer and all the other panic stating we have something on the way .. They just literally put the shits up Fatshark / etc .. Should be a good few things about to hit the scene

I'm currently using the Eachine EV800D goggles and they are working fine, but I am considering getting a new pair. Part of the reason is that I wear glasses for close up (Far sided), and the Eachines cannot be worn comfortably with glasses.

It's my understanding that some goggles, like the Fatsharks are more like viewing an object 6 feet away, rather than 6 inches away like the Eachine. If that's correct, I should be able to see much better.

It would also be nice for my wife or friends to see what I'm seeing if I let then wear the Eachines while I fly.

So here is what I'm considering:

1 - Fatshark HDO bundled with Rapidfire & Lumenier antennas.

2 - ORQA

3 - Skyzone SKYo30

I'm shying away from the DJI's because I fly mostly toothpicks right now, and I don't see me spending $180 for their Air module for every quad in the future. Plus it wouldn't fit in a toothpick anyway. That's my logic anyway, as much as I would like the clear vid.

As always, I appreciate you thoughts and opinions. It's very helpful to hear from others who have experience, although two of my considerations are new and unknown. Maybe that's a clue right there. ;)

I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to avoid saying later "gee, for a little more I should have gotten those".

If there are others you think I should have also considered please let me know that too.

Thank you. Your help is appreciated.

I have an EV800D, but due to limitations, I purchased the Skyzone SKYO30 and Fatshark HDO to be used for me and my son. The Skyzone goggles are reliable, but little field support because most flyers are using fatsharks, and the function buttons on the Skyzone are confusing, but after sitting down and understanding how to navigate its functions it has become easier to use. Also, Skyzone has nice colors and sharpness vs the Fatshark. But now that my son has advanced further than me in flying he uses the Fatshark more and he has not used the Skyzone, but I like the Skyzone for my personal type of flying.

Sounds like the general consensus is hold off, although I can't go wrong with the choices I'm considering. Technology always has something better just around the corner but I think the difference here is that there may be people looking to sell their goggles to get the DJI's, so I'll check Craigslist for a while. If I can get one of the ones that I'm looking at, probably the Fat Sharks, for a good price it might make sense.

Another option might be the Fatshark Attitude V5 goggles. They're pretty good and won't break the bank at $300. If some amazing new tech comes along and I want to get it in the future I won't feel too bad.

Last edited:
Same boat. I got the Aomway Commander V1s when I got into the hobby. They are serviceable, but I'm ready to step up. Luckily, the Aomways are "good enough" that I feel like I can wait it out.

I agree that, with regards to tech, there is always "something better right around the corner" but, in this case, I actually do feel like we are on the precipice of some big changes, particularly because of Orqa. They are so hotly anticipated that when they drop (Sept/Oct, so any time now), if they are everything everyone hopes, then your choice will be to a) jump on the Orqa train or b) buy some newly cheaper Fatsharks (either new or used). And if they don't live up to the hype, well, that makes your choice pretty easy, too.

Fatshark HDOs recently dropped from $500 to $450 (which takes the sting out of shelling out another $160 for the Rapidfire module). But there may be lots of used HDOs hitting the market OR a bigger HDO price drop OR even some no unforeseen competition in the arena after Orqa drops.

Personally, my timeline is the end of 2019. I feel like (hope) that things will be clear and will shake out enough by then that I'll feel comfortable making an investment.

Side note: the use of a forward facing camera in the Skyzone is just a great idea to me. I wonder if we're going to start seeing that idea integrated into lots of goggles. Anyone have any experience with it?

Reactions: Roadking
Fatshark HDOs recently dropped from $500 to $450 (which takes the sting out of shelling out another $160 for the Rapidfire module). But there may be lots of used HDOs hitting the market OR a bigger HDO price drop OR even some no unforeseen competition in the arena after Orqa drops.

Personally, my timeline is the end of 2019. I feel like (hope) that things will be clear and will shake out enough by then that I'll feel comfortable making an investment.

Yup! Right now the HDO's with the Rapidfire and good antennas is under $600 USD. As the competition heats up the price should drop even more. Especially if Fatshark comes out with a newer model.

I'm thinking around black friday.

Side note: the use of a forward facing camera in the Skyzone is just a great idea to me. I wonder if we're going to start seeing that idea integrated into lots of goggles. Anyone have any experience with it?

I've read about that feature but don't have it so I curious how it works. Do you push a button to see what's in front of you? Sure would be nice not to flip up goggles to reach for the quad. Wouldn't be a knockout but a nice to have.

Reactions: RPR
My Orqa FPV.One's will be here in about 3 weeks, the power and fan buttons are due in on the 24th, and production is underway just waiting on these last 2 pieces to complete the build.

My Orqa FPV.One's will be here in about 3 weeks, the power and fan buttons are due in on the 24th, and production is underway just waiting on these last 2 pieces to complete the build.
Very nice. Good luck with them and can't wait to hear your first impressions. I think pre-orders got free antennas too. What receiver are you getting?

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I think pre-orders got free antennas too. What receiver are you getting?
Those that pledged/ordered in the first 24 hours got a free patch antenna, but not a set of antennas, just a patch. I still don't know if it will be the standard patch or the Pro patch, will have to wait and see. I run a True-D module in my HDO's now, so I decided to get the RapidFIRE with the Orqa's since it is highly integrated with the goggles and it is the leading module at this time. They are saying that the TBS Fusion is very good and the new Foxeer module is supposed to be good too, but I haven't seen anything that says they are BETTER than the RapidFIRE so I decided to give it a try because it was available through the Kickstarter for about US$100 so I thought that was a good deal. We will see when it gets here.

I think pre-orders got free antennas too. What receiver are you getting?
I forgot to mention, you are correct, if you Pre-Order through GetFPV you do get a set of antennas (Omni and Patch), but on the Kickstarter in the first 200 pledges that were made in the first 24 hours, you only got a patch antenna, but on the KS I was able to get in on the first round of pledges so I only paid US$552 for both the goggles and the RapidFIRE, retail for the goggles is $650, so that is one of the reasons we only get the patch for free.

I forgot to mention, you are correct, if you Pre-Order through GetFPV you do get a set of antennas (Omni and Patch), but on the Kickstarter in the first 200 pledges that were made in the first 24 hours, you only got a patch antenna, but on the KS I was able to get in on the first round of pledges so I only paid US$552 for both the goggles and the RapidFIRE, retail for the goggles is $650, so that is one of the reasons we only get the patch for free.

WOW! Sounds like a great deal and a nice set up. Even if you want to change the antennas it's not that much. Good luck with them. I'll be interested to hear how they compare to the HDO's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax