Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

tinyhawk 2 freestyle vtx

thebop

Reaction score
i just got a tinyhawk 2 freestyle and when unlocking the vtx my goggle screen went black. i checked to make sure everything was matching up in beta flight and it is but still no video the vtx is getting power and when i connect batteries everything flashes and thw quad will fly just no video i tried hooking up spare brand new camera and still just a black screen with no OSD i havent changed anything on the quad all the settings are stock

Welcome to the forum @thebop! Sounds like you may be on a restricted channel, what band and channel are you set for? Did you have a picture before trying to unlock the vTX? From the description it could be that the FC's OSD circuit pooped the bed, that is usually what it means when the vTX has nothing to show but is working, so it puts out a black screen.

I don't have a before photo. It's was set to Raceband and channel 4. I didn't change anything pervious to this happening just pulled it out and bound it to my transmitter and was flying around for a day or 2 decided I wanted some more range to reach some more fun spots and bam black screen when I unlocked it the quad maybe has 12 packs flown on it

• Sad
Reactions: HighTechPauper
R4 isn't a restricted channel so that shouldn't be it, you might try and go through the channel and bands step by step and scan the goggles to see if you ever find video again, but it is possible that it overheated or simply failed since there is a high percentage of failure in these. If it is new-ish you can try the seller to see if you can urge them to replace it. Anytime I work on this stuff I use a fan now to keep things cooled off, thinks still fail from time to time, but it does help especially with vTX since they generate so much heat.

Reactions: tevek
Hey thebop, any chance that this might have happened in a crash or hard landing? I've had some problems with mine where the connecting pins broke and I didn't realize. I would get the same symptoms as you described. The video signal had a bit of static and it looked like I was losing signal even though it wasn't that far then eventually it was just black.
Perhaps that happened at the same time you were switching the vtx channels.
Just to troubleshoot the problem I would check the connections, maybe give the top board a wiggle and see if anything changes. There's two sets of connecting pins on the left side of the flight controller connecting the top and bottom board. They run through a black plastic spacer. I'm pointing at them with a toothpick in the attached photos.
Let me know if you notice anything amiss. I replaced the whole board combo before I realized that was a problem. It happened on one of my Freestyle 2's and on my Tinyhawk 2 as well.

Attachments

• KIMG1583.JPG
    KIMG1583.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 7
  • KIMG1584.JPG
    KIMG1584.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 7
What firmware are you running on the Freestyle 2? I've seen this issue a few times on the Tinyhawk Fresstyle on older firmware not as frequent on the TH F2. Unlock he VTX again (hold the VTX button then plug in battery to power on quad). If you're on a 4.2.x version or newer of BF, then check Betaflight VTX tables to make sure they are correct. If you still have issues, PM me and I can assist you further.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax