Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Tips on Throttle control?

Made2Phly

Reaction score
I have never flown FPV and just bought the DJI FPV. I have 3 issues/questions regarding throttle control.
In the DJI Sim, I have great difficulty with smooth throttle control. I tightened up the spring on the joystick so as to release the autocenter, but it still doesn't stay where I put it. In fact, if I tilt the controller down (by accident), the stick flops a bit and will increase throttle. 1) Is that normal? and 2) Regardless of the spring issue, does anyone have any tips on throttle control; and 3) In real life, is throttle control as difficult as in the Sim?

One screw releases the spring, but then you have to adjust the 2nd one to the friction you like.

throttle control - I found it difficult in the sim when I first started, its is very sensitive - the sticks are quick short, and theres quite a bit of power there.
Ive not enough experience to give any tips - but I found once I was getting a better balance between pitch and throttle - I was generally being less aggressive (smaller movements) on the throttle.

anyway, id say its just a matter of practice.

I didn't dare fly the drone before I had it under control in the sim.
but I suspect its a little easier, as when I first flew M mode, I didn't really notice the throttle control as an issue - and I seem fly more consistently that I did in the sim.

that said, there are other compilications IRL, like wind and prop wash... and I dont think you fly quite the same in the sim ( at least I know I fly more risky/agressive in the sim that id dare to IRL)

Reactions: Made2Phly
One screw releases the spring, but then you have to adjust the 2nd one to the friction you like.
Got it. That made all the difference ! Thank you.
throttle control - I found it difficult in the sim when I first started, its is very sensitive - the sticks are quick short, and theres quite a bit of power there.
Ive not enough experience to give any tips - but I found once I was getting a better balance between pitch and throttle - I was generally being less aggressive (smaller movements) on the throttle.

anyway, id say its just a matter of practice.

I didn't dare fly the drone before I had it under control in the sim.
but I suspect its a little easier, as when I first flew M mode, I didn't really notice the throttle control as an issue - and I seem fly more consistently that I did in the sim.

that said, there are other compilications IRL, like wind and prop wash... and I dont think you fly quite the same in the sim ( at least I know I fly more risky/agressive in the sim that id dare to IRL)
practice for sure is what i need. I will keep at, but it sure can be frustrating.

I have never flown FPV and just bought the DJI FPV. I have 3 issues/questions regarding throttle control.
In the DJI Sim, I have great difficulty with smooth throttle control. I tightened up the spring on the joystick so as to release the autocenter, but it still doesn't stay where I put it. In fact, if I tilt the controller down (by accident), the stick flops a bit and will increase throttle. 1) Is that normal? and 2) Regardless of the spring issue, does anyone have any tips on throttle control; and 3) In real life, is throttle control as difficult as in the Sim?
The only tip I can give is when you do something Acro Throttle up hard as the number 1 way to crash is not enough throttle , you need the Power to Twirl, Flip or Come out of a dive.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in the Rain and Land on Water.

I confirm that it's much harder to handle in the sim than IRL. The sim is pretty crappy anyway on other counts as well.

Reactions: venomoussvt
I confirm that it's much harder to handle in the sim than IRL. The sim is pretty crappy anyway on other counts as well.
you are correct... i love that they produced a SIM to help people learn in any way other than rolling the dice with a $1400 quad. However, their physics are horrible in their sim. A good simulator like liftoff is the best way to learn and get time on the sticks. The only way to get good at holding elevation and learning throttle control is time on the sticks.

Glad to hear this, cuz otherwise i was thinking months 'til IRL. But I do believe i will wait 'til the prop guards and leg braces are available. Maybe. The temptation is enormous, and patience has never been my strong suit.

you are correct... i love that they produced a SIM to help people learn in any way other than rolling the dice with a $1400 quad. However, their physics are horrible in their sim. A good simulator like liftoff is the best way to learn and get time on the sticks. The only way to get good at holding elevation and learning throttle control is time on the sticks.
Is there any way to get DJI's fpv controller to work with another Sim program? i am guessing not.
I have tried Liftoff on Xbox One, but controller mode 3 is not an option. ( I should have learned at the beginning of my drone career to fly mode 2. I discovered with the Xbox that trying to relearn in mode 2 messes up my flying right quick if i switch back to mode 3).

the fpv controller appears as a standard usb joystick so will work with any sim - so you can use liftoff, velocidrone or drl.
I used velocidrone , and that worked well to get me flying M mode on the DJI FPV.
(not sure if this supports mode 3, but i thought it was fully configurable)

the only advantage of the dji ios sim, is you can use with the goggles - I found that its quite useful AFTER I got used to the sticks.

but after you have got used to the sticks, hopefully you can just take the real drone to a safe place (and with a bit of height) and start trying it out there.

I dont think you need to wait for guards/arm bracers ... i think those are more useful when you start flying low/near obstacles...
(I doubt they will do much good, if you are falling from a great height ;) )

the fpv controller appears as a standard usb joystick so will work with any sim - so you can use liftoff, velocidrone or drl.
I used velocidrone , and that worked well to get me flying M mode on the DJI FPV.
(not sure if this supports mode 3, but i thought it was fully configurable)

the only advantage of the dji ios sim, is you can use with the goggles - I found that its quite useful AFTER I got used to the sticks.

but after you have got used to the sticks, hopefully you can just take the real drone to a safe place (and with a bit of height) and start trying it out there.

I dont think you need to wait for guards/arm bracers ... i think those are more useful when you start flying low/near obstacles...
(I doubt they will do much good, if you are falling from a great height ;) )
So, DJI FPV controller connected by its USB C port to the computer. Do you know if that will work with a Mac?

I appreciate all the info !

yup, works on mac.. thats how Ive been using velocidrone :)

note: only sticks work, buttons unfortunately do not... but they aren't really needed.
Kewl. I will give that a try. Presumably google will now if mode 3 is an option with velicdrone

Kewl. I will give that a try. Presumably google will now if mode 3 is an option with velicdrone

the controller works directly via usb, not using goggles at all - but you can configure in velocidrone.

goggles dont work on any desktop sim... you'll need to use your computer monitor , unfortunately the only thing that supports the goggles is the DJI Sim on iOS.

I have a macbook pro hooked up to a 55 inch 4K TV, so that will be fun. Probably leavin work early today. lol. Thanks again.

Reactions: thetechnobear
yup, works on mac.. thats how Ive been using velocidrone :)

note: only sticks work, buttons unfortunately do not... but they aren't really needed.
THIS, my friend, is a great post!!!

I have an extra spektrum radio i used before i got my good radio and I have the wireless USB dongle to use it in sims myself.. but with the size and shape difference i was pretty eager to do my "practice" (play time) sessions on the sim using the dji controller... I had no idea that windows would recognize it. I will 100$ try it out tonight!

the controller works directly via usb, not using goggles at all - but you can configure in velocidrone.

goggles dont work on any desktop sim... you'll need to use your computer monitor , unfortunately the only thing that supports the goggles is the DJI Sim on iOS.
thnx for the info. I am now usng velocidrone on the mac with the DJI FPV controller. But man, it is hard AF.

Reactions: thetechnobear
thnx for the info. I am now usng velocidrone on the mac with the DJI FPV controller. But man, it is hard AF.

yeah, stick in there ... it can be very hard at first.... but at some point it seems to just 'click' .
bare in mind, many seem to talk about 8-10 hours in the Sim before feeling comfortable enough to fly with thier drone - so its not quick.
(of course, some will boast they did with no practice, or 1 hour... but we are all different, and also our risk appetite is different ;) )

also I agree, with others that say, once you are comfortable with the Sim, you'll find the DJI FPV easier.
so when don't be scared to make that transition... its important to get out flying the real drone in M mode, as it is a bit different in the real world.

so after the sim, and a couple of flights in M mode on the drone - I was actually pretty comfortable.
(you can always switch to N/S mode to relax a bit which is great)

as for throttle control on the dji fpv Im still practicing...
my current practice regime is flying slowly... any nutter can cane it at 100 kmh, but flying slowly and smoothly is actually pretty tricky.
I'm trying to learn to slow close to the ground, ensuring I can speed up /slow down- whislt maintaining a contant high above (undulating) ground rather than 'bobbing' around, also transitioning into a hover... all things we take for granted in N/S mode, but require a lot of control in M mode :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya