Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Transmitter guidance needed

Trd79

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for transmitter recommendations. I'm not necessarily looking for specific model numbers, although that would be greatly appreciated. I'm more interested in what to look for.

Here's what I would like to be able to do with the transmitter.
  1. Pilot a kit/homebrew FPV drone
  2. Pilot kit/homebrew fix wing rc planes (Like the ones flight test sells)
  3. Easily switch between (bind) different aircraft.
  4. Have the ability to control aditional accessories like lights, landing gear, and other gizmos
  5. Telemetry would be awesome to have but not a must.
I haven't decided on a FPV kit or flight controller yet.

I do have my amateur radio license (technician), I'm not sure if that has any impact on the transmitter options or if that only applies to the camera feed.

Anyway I'm a newbie to the hobby so any help would greatly be appreciated.

Reactions: okw
Welcome to the forum.

I fly with a FrSky Taranis radio and really like it. It seems a lot of people like the RadioMaster TX16S. There are many others as well; such as Spektrum and Jumper. These are programmable radios to fly any type of aircraft you wish and can store dozens, if not hundreds, of different models to make it easy to switch between them. And they have plenty of extra switches that you can program for other features like lights, landing gear, etc. Many of these radios will have multi protocol transmitter modules, or have the capability of plugging one in, so they will work with just about any other brand of receiver.

One of the nice features to look for is Hall sensors on the gimbals. These are a little smoother and more precise than the standard potentiometer gimbals. I like the radios with OpenTX firmware (FrSky, RadioMaster, Jumper), which gives you complete control over the programming.

If there are people in your area that fly, you might consider getting a radio similar to what they use so that you can get help from them, if needed.

If I was going to start over now, I might decide to get the RadioMaster because of the big color touchscreen and built in multi protocol module (my FrSky needs an extra plug-in module). In the end, it will just come down to preference.

Welcome to the forum.

I fly with a FrSky Taranis radio and really like it. It seems a lot of people like the RadioMaster TX16S. There are many others as well; such as Spektrum and Jumper. These are programmable radios to fly any type of aircraft you wish and can store dozens, if not hundreds, of different models to make it easy to switch between them. And they have plenty of extra switches that you can program for other features like lights, landing gear, etc. Many of these radios will have multi protocol transmitter modules, or have the capability of plugging one in, so they will work with just about any other brand of receiver.

One of the nice features to look for is Hall sensors on the gimbals. These are a little smoother and more precise than the standard potentiometer gimbals. I like the radios with OpenTX firmware (FrSky, RadioMaster, Jumper), which gives you complete control over the programming.

If there are people in your area that fly, you might consider getting a radio similar to what they use so that you can get help from them, if needed.

If I was going to start over now, I might decide to get the RadioMaster because of the big color touchscreen and built in multi protocol module (my FrSky needs an extra plug-in module). In the end, it will just come down to preference.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I just took a quick look at the RadioMaster and wow i have so many more questions... I'm going to do some research first but... I will have questions 🤪

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas