Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

What is the best budget video transmitter?

Oliver Jensen

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would like to buy a video transmitter and I would like to know what the best one is that I can get for the money?
Three things:
1) I will never fly with more than one other person.
2) size and weight does not matter AT ALL
3) The equipment that I have already is: RunCam Phoenix 2 and Eachine ev800D. So I will need it to work with both of these...

Thank you!

I just edited my post since I misread your question. There are many VTX that are very good. What size of quad is this going in to? TBS Unity, iFlight Succex Force, ImmersionRC Tramp HV VTX are all great VTXs. Are you building your first quad? Some of the decisions you will need to make are what output power you want, what features do you want (Tramp, smartaudio etc.)

Last edited:
I am hoping to mount this onto my DJI Mavic 2 zoom that has no camera on it.
So therefore it will be a completely external set up just mounted in the space where the stock camera would be(it smashed in a crash landing). So I guess I will also have to have externally mounted batteries for the camera and the transmitter...
That is the main thing that I would use it for but I’m hoping to make it a bit of a temporary set up so that I can move the batteries, the transmitter and the camera around to different RC vehicles...

I am hoping to mount this onto my DJI Mavic 2 zoom that has no camera on it.
So therefore it will be a completely external set up just mounted in the space where the stock camera would be(it smashed in a crash landing). So I guess I will also have to have externally mounted batteries for the camera and the transmitter...
That is the main thing that I would use it for but I’m hoping to make it a bit of a temporary set up so that I can move the batteries, the transmitter and the camera around to different RC vehicles...

This is an important detail and this context would have served you well before buying your analog camera as well but all is not lost. You could have maybe saved a few $$ by buying a camera / VTX kit that comes already pre-wired and ready to go; just add battery. But it's no big deal, you bought a very good camera and with a little setup can meet your objective. Since you are just adding a camera to you Mavic, you will be using the DJI radio as a control link to the quad. This means that the camera and VTX can run completely separately from the rest of the quad. In many cases for FPV, the camera attaches to a flight controller (FC) then the FC send the signal out to the VTX adding the OSD to the video signal before transmitting it to your goggles. In your case you don't have a typical FPV FC because you are using the DJI flight controller. You won't be able to connect an analog camera to the DJI FC. Your analog camera will need to be connected directly to the VTX and the VTX supplied with appropriate power (2-6S vBat in most cases). All the ones I already mentioned in addition the the Rush tank are great video transmitters. Get yourself a good antenna and you'll be all set.

Reactions: mrmund
Hi, I have not actually bought the camera or the goggles yet I have just put them in my “basket“ ready to buy with the receiver when we establish one that I should buy,
I am open to buying your suggestion for a “pre-wired“ set up but as you can probably guess already that I do not want to downgrade any video quality for a cheaper camera. What do you suggest?

If your number one requirement is image quality, the kits may not be the best option. The benefits of the pre-wired kits are the simplicity and convenience of an all-in-one solution. The Eachine EV800D are a great budget goggle, and the Phoenix 2 is a great camera so pairing it with a good VTX would be important. I don't think you want a cheap VTX. A poor VTX will take a great image from the camera and lose enough of the information in transmission that will negatively affect your user experience at the goggles. Buying a quality VTX is probably even more important that your camera choice. I'd stick with a discrete VTX with at least 600-700mW of power. Many also offer 800-1000mW options as well. This will give you a strong video signal at the goggles especially in situations where you have obstructions or potential sources of signal loss. The VTXs I listed above are all very good but not considered cheapest by any measure. The last important decision will be antennas. A good zero gain circular polarized antenna is best at the VTX whereas the EV800D has diversity, so a patch and circular polarized antenna would be best for the goggles. For best results the circular polarized antennas should be approximately 6in to stick up above your head on the goggles and up away from the drone.

Reactions: mrmund
Hello again, I have a few more questions: I’m going to go with the rush tank for my VTX, and I’m having trouble finding a good antenna for it, I know that there is a right-hand clover antenna on the goggles, so does this mean that I have to have a left-hand antenna on my VTX? And what is the best antenna that won’t hold me back in range? (don’t forget size and weight doesn’t matter for my Mavic 2, and my budget is around $70 for an antenna)?
I also don’t know what kind of battery to use for this set up I can’t find any that I might be able to use for this online(I searched for 2-6s vBat), I don’t even have any idea what the batteries would look like. Would you mind giving me more detailed information or sending me a link for the batteries?
Thank you!

If you are using polarized antennas, they need to match at both ends. if you go left hand circular polarized (LHCP) then use LHCP at both ends. Same if you go RHCP. The Rush Tank has an MMCX connection for the antenna. You can get an MMCX antenna or get an MMCX to SMA cable then an SMA antenna. Your choice will depend on how you plan to mount the antenna and VTX. Luminere and TrueRC make some of the best antennas and you will probably want an AXII antenna from either of these mfg. They also can come with a 90deg MMCX if that would would better again depending on your mounting plan.

Your first order of business should be to come up with a plan on how and where you want to attach all this stuff then choose the appropriate antenna and battery. The Rush tank depending on the model (don't buy the race as it's lower power = less range) supports a range of input voltages. check the spec for the VTX you want then get a 2-3S 300-350mAh battery and a matching pigtail to solder to your VTX.

battery.jpgvtx.jpg

Hello again, I have a few more questions: I’m going to go with the rush tank for my VTX, and I’m having trouble finding a good antenna for it, I know that there is a right-hand clover antenna on the goggles, so does this mean that I have to have a left-hand antenna on my VTX? And what is the best antenna that won’t hold me back in range? (don’t forget size and weight doesn’t matter for my Mavic 2, and my budget is around $70 for an antenna)?
I also don’t know what kind of battery to use for this set up I can’t find any that I might be able to use for this online(I searched for 2-6s vBat), I don’t even have any idea what the batteries would look like. Would you mind giving me more detailed information or sending me a link for the batteries?
Thank you!
I just picked up two Rush Tank VTX's and they each came with antennas. Check your order, yours might as well.

I just picked up two Rush Tank VTX's and they each came with antennas. Check your order, yours might as well.
Hey @mrmund do you mind if I ask a few questions? Where did your order it from? Which one did you order that included an antenna? Rush Tank Ultimate, Ultimate II, Ultimate Plus, Mini, Tiny Tank or Race? I ordered a race a while back and it had no antenna ☹️ Hopefully it wasn't missed. I'll have to go back and check my order!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blackphoenix