Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

what's your favorite 5" prop

Futuramille

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've been using Dalprop t5045's when ordering recently I've noticed they call them v2 since they are transparent.

i love the sound and grunt from these "bullnose" props though they are rounded a bit on the blade tips..

what y'alls favorite:
two blade prop
three blade prop
four blade
?
why would someone change props and what adjustments in PID/Rates are needed?

Hey Brother!

I like the 50XX Cyclone design and performance, but my favorite props are the HQ50XXV1S and I am starting to really like the HQ V3's that are recommended for the Oblivion. I think the HQ's are a little nicer for control and smoothness for me, and the Cyclones are a better racing style prop.

I still have a ton of makes and models I have not tried yet like Gemfan Hulkies and the Lumenier POPO props like Butter Cutters and Gate Breakers, but the V1S are my go to's for most runs.

Reactions: Futuramille
thanks hightech... what adjustments do you make to the FC config?
eg: on my 3" D is at the limit and P is high. when i put more aggressive props on it ... shaking and motor heat results.
is it normal to need to retune rates and pids when changing props?
i fly the ones on the top of the picture (racecraft) the other racecraft props and the dalprop need some tuning i think? lots of shaking and motor heat results15289167766441399292183.jpg

Last edited:
Brother, you know I know a lot about the electronic and mechanical functions, but actually being a good pilot and being able to effectively tune is way down the road for me. I raised my rates a hair but other than that everything gets evaluated at BF stock values. One day I will get into all of that and maybe it will fly even better, but right now I figure the BF developers know more than I do and most feel that tuning is more for pilot preference now instead of the mandatory it was before due to great improvements in BF and filtering. For me it is all about stick time, I have a ton to fix and build, but for now I just keep flying and trying new things hoping to get better.

I wouldn't know what to change from where you are, I could only reset to defaults and test and tweak from there, but like I said, I just don't get that part yet.

np buddy, its just a question i have but i love the props i use, they just don't sell the red ones anymore. all i can get is clear (no color). i red rk3030
im thinking the 5"will be the same issue but maybe not. can't find red T5045 ) :
i just got 10 packs in black.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like red too Lol. I will say this, there are a ton of props out there, I have tried a number of different ones to see what I liked best on my 5" and 2", and most just don't fly as well to me. Perhaps tuning would improve that, but for now I just stick with the one that seems to get the best reviews from people I trust. Hence Steele for V1S, Trappy and TBS for the V3's, Stu for the Cyclones etc. When they arive at a certain favorite, I figure someone with a lot more skill and experience knows best for a beginner like me :)

I don't have any real personal experience with them (yet) but I got some of the V1S and also some of the Gemfan flash 5152 (look wicked!). I have read good things about both. V1S is nice because they make lots of pitch options. The new V1S Polycarbonate (PC) version is supposed to be very resilient in crashes too.

Later this summer, I hope to have enough experience to start swapping props again and see if I can find ones I like better, and maybe start to tune a bit to improve feel.

I have those same motors and the Dal cyclones 50/50 or 50/55's are the very best props for the 2400kv hands down..... and I've tried lots of props. If you do try them or any other big bite props, keep a check on your motors for overheating
Change props for more speed ( 2-3 blade 45-55 pitch) or more maneuverability (3-5 blade 30-40 pitch) sometimes a re-tune isn't necessary but if so, you can make a profile for each different prop in RF or BF
I've noticed the emax 23 series motors you and I have don't really need a re-tune when switched (at least mine dont, i'm also using the stock 5" RaceFlight tune)
There's a lot on motor testing on youtube and it's a great way to pair the perfect prop and motor combo

Last edited:
I found this thread because I'm looking for some new 5" options.
HQ 6040 for six inch is my favorite hands down. I don't even try other props on 6 inch anymore.
For three inch, I'm loving the Gemfan 3052
5 inch though... Not sure really.

This thread has been dead for a while. Has anyone tried the Johnny props, or the Ethix props?
Any five inch gems you've found in the last 8 months?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax