Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Where do you like to fly during Lockdown?

Frisbee

Reaction score
Just wondering where people are flying during their time in lockdown. I started out flying in an empty field, which nicely lacked people. But there was a lot of cow and rabbit dung everywhere, and no obstacles to fly around.

Then I tried a park in the morning, but despite the field being almost completely empty, oblivious people will still walk right next to me and right through my flight path. I also had several (like 5 occasions) of dogs chasing my quad. I flew laps overhead so they could never get to it, except that one time I had to land and the little yappy dog literally bit the antenna off of my quad.

After that I move on to a rugby field to fly through the goal posts. People still walk through the flight path, and I also got bit by a bigger dog just walking :( (I still love dogs, but I think that their owners didn't train them properly.)

I've since found a multistory car park, and when the security guards found me they were super nice and said it was ok if I flew there! That was with my tiny whoop Mobula6. I previously tried flying my full-size quad there, but there isn't enough clearance to the ceiling for my (lack of) skill level, but the tiny whoop is perfect. I found another car park with a very high ceiling, but no obstacles in there to fly around.

Flying my Mobula6 in the big multilevel lobby at my work is a lot of fun, indoor away from wind and rain, with columns and obstacles to fly around, and no people in the area. But I'm only there up to twice per week at the moment.

I didn't want to wear-out my welcome in the car park, so I found an empty and well-light commercial street to fly at 3am. That was really fun... until my Mobula6 disappeared. It was near the curb when the power started cutting out, and then went to static. I spent an hour looking for it, but it somehow disappeared. It should have been right there... maybe an animal ran off with it, I don't know.

A few days ago I found a closed school with a nice grassy field and a rugby goal that works well to fly my full-size quad through.

Today I found two playgrounds that were nicely locked up due to lockdown. The first small playground was too densely packed with obstacles for my ability, so I packed up and found a much bigger playground with the obstacles spread out enough to fly around them, and I had a great time flying. (I also have 5 functioning lipos now, so I could have a really nice session, swapping them out early to avoid over-discharging them.)

At home I also fly my cheap little level-mode LOS tiny whoops in my room, and I fly a simulation on my computer (FPV freerider).

So that's my experience finding flying locations so far, with lockdown opening up more opportunities. I'll probably continue to map out my area to find more places to fly, and when I can eventually get another Mobula6 I'll start testing out all the car parks in the area too.

So, where do you guys like to fly during lockdown?

Well they are easing restrictions over here and a few more places are open for access. Unfortunately, that means more people and I have to time it right at the local school oval. As for losing your mobula 6, I lost an Eachine trashcan to a bunch of kids whilst I was tracking it down with my goggles. Pretty annoyed and since I couldn’t prove which kid it was that was a lesson to stay away from people.
Mostly fly around home trying to get better at not hitting trees and tweaking the GTB 339. There is no one down my way due to its relative seclusion so that works well.
Off to pick up some firewood today and will take the Iflight DC5 out to the local footy oval and test the GPS module I fitted this week. I mentioned in another post that I need a bigger wide open space and I’m trying to convince the bloke up the road to let me fly there. Only risk there are cows and potatoes.

I'm pretty lucky, I have about 300 acres at my disposal just a couple of miles from my house, open fields, trees, changing elevations, and it's private land so I am free from hassle.
You’d have a visitor if it wasn't for this lockdown... Had a fly at the school footy oval in town, GPS works fine but can’t test the rescue mode until I find some open acreage. As I landed I looked over my shoulder and there was a policeman looking at me. Just gave me a smile and waved. ‘Of course I was flying line of sight’.

You’d have a visitor if it wasn't for this lockdown... Had a fly at the school footy oval in town, GPS works fine but can’t test the rescue mode until I find some open acreage. As I landed I looked over my shoulder and there was a policeman looking at me. Just gave me a smile and waved. ‘Of course I was flying line of sight’.
If there wasn't half a world between us, or I win the Lotto, you and Wayne would have company, lock down or not! ;)

My new favorite spot is the local College campus, with schools closed it is a perfect spot. With several huge open fields surrounded by trees and the whole place is beautiful with almost no deep rough foliage to lose my quads as I am still flying little whoops and a toothpick.

Being on an island, which is densely populated, not much places to fly. I do a most of my flying at home around the house with my Eachine Trashcan whoop. But that gets kinda boring after a while. The neighbor's cat almost got it, sneaking out from under my car when I was flying LOS (got it on vid, it was kinda hilarious). Other than that, I wasn't brave enough to go venturing for spots, due to being slightly paranoid of getting ticketed for being out during lockdown. They opened up parks here, but you gotta be either continuously walking, jogging or running in them. A few guys from our FPV group do some meetups in secret spots, but they have one-wheels to get there. I'd take way too long to get to those places on foot. Can't wait to get my 5 inch quads back screaming in the air again! Soon, hopefully. Soon.

I'm having a ton of fun flying at the playground now. Now I'm flying from on top of the ramp (second image), which makes me feel a lot safer while goggled-in as I'm not vulnerable to being knocked out and robbed from behind.

As for flying, I fly around the metal fence, through the arms of the metal pyramid, and in between in the swings and other playground objects. I also did my first gap today, flying (slowly!) through a person-sized space on the kid's tower-thing. Flying both with the quadcopter sim and at this park, I'm getting a lot better really quickly. As long as lockdown continues, I will be getting some great practice!

at the park.JPG
at the park 03.JPG
At the park 02.JPG

Nice parks. Lucky you! Wish I had those at my disposal to fly. Sorry to hear about your Mobula6. Kinda imagine this is what it would feel like to live in a world after Thanos did the snap thing on the Gauntlet. ???
Are you sure you can't find a similarly nice place? This was the best I found after checking maps, riding around to probably 15+ locations. I will still need to map out more location within 3 miles in each direction from home, since I imagine I won't be able to fly there anymore post-lockdown.

I might switch to tiny whoops and toothpicks, which could open up more options, since some places I looked at were too densely packed for my full-size quad, but would be perfect for smaller quads.

Being on an island, which is densely populated, not much places to fly. I do a most of my flying at home around the house with my Eachine Trashcan whoop. But that gets kinda boring after a while. The neighbor's cat almost got it, sneaking out from under my car when I was flying LOS (got it on vid, it was kinda hilarious). Other than that, I wasn't brave enough to go venturing for spots, due to being slightly paranoid of getting ticketed for being out during lockdown. They opened up parks here, but you gotta be either continuously walking, jogging or running in them. A few guys from our FPV group do some meetups in secret spots, but they have one-wheels to get there. I'd take way too long to get to those places on foot. Can't wait to get my 5 inch quads back screaming in the air again! Soon, hopefully. Soon.
Could you use a bicycle? That's how I get around since I don't have a car.

Actually there might be a few parks where I can probably pilot from my car. Just would probably want some partners with me for lookouts in case any hoodlums would wanna bother or try to rob us. There's been a quite a bit of that going around here lately.
That's a very legitimate point. I felt way too vulnerable while goggled in, which is why I switched to piloting from a safe position on the half-pipe. You can see how secluded the park is in the photos above, which would make me an easy victim. I've instinctual considered this when picking spots, but it's a bit of a double edged sword as secluded areas are the best for flying, but lack witnesses for safety. Self defense weapons are illegal in England, so now that I'm thinking about this a bit more, I'll add some personal alarms to my shopping list. I've also been wanting to form or join a local club, so this is another reason it might be useful. Anyone else in East England?

Would you pilot while sitting inside of your car?

That's a very legitimate point. I felt way too vulnerable while goggled in, which is why I switched to piloting from a safe position on the half-pipe. You can see how secluded the park is in the photos above, which would make me an easy victim. I've instinctual considered this when picking spots, but it's a bit of a double edged sword as secluded areas are the best for flying, but lack witnesses for safety. Self defense weapons are illegal in England, so now that I'm thinking about this a bit more, I'll add some personal alarms to my shopping list. I've also been wanting to form or join a local club, so this is another reason it might be useful. Anyone else in East England?

Would you pilot while sitting inside of your car?
Well that‘s a depressing thought having to worry about your personal safety when flying, but I guess it’s a sign of the time. Having said that, for whatever reason, when I’m kitted up and flying, I’ll usually circle back and check out what is around myself/car to see if anything is different. Looking out for people/kids/dogs so that I don’t annoy anyone.
As for flying from inside my car, when I was into the DJI stuff, I would regularly do that if it was cold. I’ve got a boosted set up that would let me fly for miles and never had any issues with interference etc from all the steel in the car. You would get weird looks from some people but they were probably weird anyway.

There's YouTubers who fly in Detroit wastelands in the USA, I imagine it could be a lot worse there. It's not too bad where I am, but certainly robberies and muggings do happen.

Flying for miles from the comfort of your car is incredible.
I have no doubt bad things happen over my way I’ve never heard of people being mugged flying a drone. Most people I’ve met when flying either stand there and ask lots of questions or avoid me as being some sort of geek.
As for long distance, I’ve seen the most outrageous setups in peoples cars and they are looking at some serious mileage. Well over 10 miles which is insane although the new DJI gear is over 4 miles straight out of the box and during the current lockdown, you can go and visit nana without leaving your lounge room!

After a long wait, I finally got some batteries for my LarvaX, and it is so fun to fly! The playground that was too small for me to fly my WizardX220, is the perfect size for a toothpick... I'm in flying heaven now! There's a ton of obstacles to fly around, eventually when my skill level is high enough I'll try to fly through the wooden maze and the green ribs.

1590232250219.png

Last edited:
Despite it being a beautiful day, it was way too windy to fly outdoors. So I rode around trying to see if building structures blocked the wind. Even tall apartment complexes that were surrounded on most sides by buildings had gaps that allowed and maybe even funneled in lots of wind. Tunnels seemed wind-proof but not fun to fly. I ended up going to the local car park, which was pretty good, although some wind still gets through since it's only partly walled off and it was very windy. I did manage to have a lot of fun flying though, and I'm happy that I'm still able to make progress in learning to fly (video below). Any recommendations for what to look for for wind-proof flying locations? Car-parks, tunnels, enclosed courtyards, and indoors are all I can think of.

garage quad.wmv

Despite it being a beautiful day, it was way too windy to fly outdoors. So I rode around trying to see if building structures blocked the wind. Even tall apartment complexes that were surrounded on most sides by buildings had gaps that allowed and maybe even funneled in lots of wind. Tunnels seemed wind-proof but not fun to fly. I ended up going to the local car park, which was pretty good, although some wind still gets through since it's only partly walled off and it was very windy. I did manage to have a lot of fun flying though, and I'm happy that I'm still able to make progress in learning to fly (video below). Any recommendations for what to look for for wind-proof flying locations? Car-parks, tunnels, enclosed courtyards, and indoors are all I can think of.

garage quad.wmv
Those spots you listed are all I would pick, at least you can burn a few packs. Unless you know of a vacant indoor basket ball court or similar, I've got nothing like that near my place so i'll usually go and spend time fixing the most recent crash casualty. As for your flying in the underground carpark, nice work and you didn't have to go for the long walk to go and pick it up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz