Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

which goggles have the best range? The old Goggles V2 or the newer Goggles 2?

pcgboca

Reaction score
which goggles have the best range? The old Goggles V2 or the newer Goggles 2? (Terrible names) :) I am talking about straight up Range here and RF signal Quality. I have read all the reviews and only 1 or 2 talk about the old goggles having better range. Any thoughts (From Experience) on Range would be great as I would buy the higher resolution newer ones if they are better RF Range but I get the feeling the new ones are not. Thoughts?

Couldn't see any difference between the 2. But since the Goggles 2 aren't compatible with the DJI FPV and that's what I go farther with it's hard to test. G2 has never been insufficient for the Avata.

Couldn't see any difference between the 2. But since the Goggles 2 aren't compatible with the DJI FPV and that's what I go farther with it's hard to test. G2 has never been insufficient for the Avata.
ok good to know - the FPV is not what I am looking for but those older goggles seem to be better from posts. I am coming from the old Dominator and old school FPV analog so this is all new to me. I am sure I will be happy with either one and like you said with battery life and all things considered I do not see the Avata going as far as you can with a Mav or other quad so I get it. Also making sure the extra $$$ is worth it as the cost of this bird is out of control. I could buy a 30% edge or something so I am still on the fence as buy the time I get batteries, back pack and new controller I could have purchased a Kidney in South America :eek:

All true about the cost. But then, value costs.

The flight time, modularity, smart batteries, safety features, hardware quality, camera, and many more things of value (to many, not all) are what you're paying for. And in this pilot's opinion, worth every Quatloo.

I've done homebuilt and BNF. I'll never go back. Youse pay up front, or youse pay as you fly with more repairs, lost aircraft, cheap hardware that doesn't last (T-lite controller), or worst of all, burning your house down charging batteries (it's happened, thank God not to anyone here).

Your friend can fly the Avata on first try, and you'll likely get it back unharmed. My other FPV drones are not as tough as the Avata.

I can't wait for DJI's next iteration as they learn this market.

Agree 100%. However I find the FPV has a shorter range than the Avata using same goggles and controller. Avata with both goggles has slightly longer range when flying to the side or behind me but both are great when facing the quad.

Agree 100%. However I find the FPV has a shorter range than the Avata using same goggles and controller. Avata with both goggles has slightly longer range when flying to the side or behind me but both are great when facing the quad.
Probably the 4 antennas on the v2

Reactions: KLRSKIR and pcgboca
I find the Avata is "Self-Limiting" in this way.......I do not have the Battery life to fly too far away safely. As long as I am in a good RF Environment of course.

I mean of course you can go too far out if you just lower you pitch and hit it at 40 MPH till your at 20% - but I mean flying responsibly.

And more importantly you can get into areas like dense woods where penetration is important and those environments are where we need best performance.

I can quickly get into an RF environment where signal loss can occur within the battery life of the Avata, but generally I try and avoid those environments if possible,

I am so "Picky about RF" I have a Ubiquity 2.4 GHZ Spectrum Analyzer on a small Dell Laptop I take flying with me when I use my most expensive planes.

When you have 100's of hours invested in the build and $3K worth of Balsa Wood and JR servos that would cost $7K today to replace, forget the hours, it is important.

I make sure my Spektrum DX Radio picked 2 good clean channels as if you saw the Avata and other FPV spewing stuff all over the band you know why traditional guys fear us.

interference is definitely bad.....Those older analog rigs were actually requiring HAM radio licenses to be legit. and performance was junk compared to this. I never thought Digital would get 30ms latency.......wow.

This digital system in the DJI is on 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz and is beyond awesome,,,,,,,auto switching and providing up to 50Mb - I am in - I will learn to fly wihtin the limitations of this system.

And I have seen they are making after market "Focused" antennas and yo can improve performance in dense woods for example even better that the older goggles if you really try. They were like $50, not unreasonable in any way.

Over all outside of needing plastic surgery on my nose after a long flight I like the Goggles 2 and The Avata Pro combo I got.

Very happy with the 1080 down link....makes me lazy as I do not want to deal with the awful USB or SD slot issue so I just use the 1080 Goggle video at times :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz