Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Adding head tracking to the DJI FPV drone?

dronemanjem

Reaction score
I am somewhat dissappointed with my new DJI FPV done. Having come from using the Phantom 4, along with a smartphone for VR (I almost exclusively flew it using FPV, my smartphone and a cheap VR smartphone holding headset). I am not posting this to complain, but I was wondering whether there were any cheap solutions that others have come across to resolve these.

My first grumble is that the resolution of the £600 goggles is less than that of my smartphone, which I used for my phantom 4.
Secondly, the DJI system is very 'closed loop', whereas using a smartphone allows you to use 3rd party software such as Litchi.
Finally, I would have thought for £600, they would have included head tracking. Head tracking was standard when using my smartphone with my phantom 4. It really created the feeling of immersion in the air and it worked wonders when taking complicated/difficult moving video shots.

The main differences are the speed, manourverability, which I love, but to make a drone 'FPV' specific without things which can be obtained much more easily with a simple smartphone setup seems a bit of a copout.

Anyway, regarding the head tracking, is there anyone that has added this to their DJI FPV drone? I really miss it. I did realise these things weren't part of the FPV drone before buying it, but I didn't realise how much they would add to my flying experience, and how much I'd miss them.

Nobody uses head tracking for the style of flying the FPV is made for - seems like a case of wrong device for the purpose.
When you fly in manual/acro it'd be literally impossible to fly with head tracking.

it worked wonders when taking complicated/difficult moving video shots.

The gimbal only has one axis stabilization as mentioned and it's definitely not the aircraft to use for that kind of shot.

Nobody uses head tracking for the style of flying the FPV is made for - seems like a case of wrong device for the purpose.
When you fly in manual/acro it'd be literally impossible to fly with head tracking.

The gimbal only has one axis stabilization as mentioned and it's definitely not the aircraft to use for that kind of shot.

I know that usually FPV is for fast, racing drone type stuff. What I love most though is the immersive feeling I get when using head tracking in FPV (such as with my phantom). It's as if I were in the drone itself (well perhaps not as real as that - unless it's a drunken Saturday evening flight). I'm not so much into fast racing style flying.

You wont be able to look left and right as the camera does not do that. Also maybe there might need to be a gyroscope built in to the head set too

I set my phantom 4 up to do 2 axis head tracking with my 6 year old smart phone, as well as yaw left/right with just head tracking. I guess I'm not in the majority then with loving the feeling.

So in conclusion, there's no way to do it with the DJI FPV? What would be the best DJI drone to achieve this, released post- phantom 4?

Reactions: FPV Flier
I know that usually FPV is for fast, racing drone type stuff. What I love most though is the immersive feeling I get when using head tracking in FPV (such as with my phantom). It's as if I were in the drone itself (well perhaps not as real as that - unless it's a drunken Saturday evening flight). I'm not so much into fast racing style flying.

I set my phantom 4 up to do 2 axis head tracking with my 6 year old smart phone, as well as yaw left/right with just head tracking. I guess I'm not in the majority then with loving the feeling.

So in conclusion, there's no way to do it with the DJI FPV? What would be the best DJI drone to achieve this, released post- phantom 4?
I'm not sure if any of the newer Mavic family of Drones has head tracking. Possibly the Mavic 2 since it will work with the DJI goggles.
I use a Mavic Pro Platinum with the original white DJI Goggles. I have fogging problems with them because the space between the lenses and your face is not vented. some anti-fog spray and reasonably low relative humidity will solve the problem. The screen looks a lot sharper in the old goggles than in the FPV goggles V2. Then there's the latency of the old goggles and slower response to control inputs of the aircraft, which could be a problem if you like buzzing tree tops and such. I still love to fly my Mavic for videos photos or just admiring the scenery in real time from a birds perspective.

Reactions: FPV Flier
the resolution question is due to low latency and framerate requirements not present in non-FPV dedicated systems. When you're soaring around at altitude, it doesn't matter if your aircraft responds 100ms after the condition you're responding to occurs.

It's everything when you're going 90mph trying to thread the V between two treetops.

Without explaining the signal physics / engineering, there is a direct tradeoff between latency, resolution, and signal power. Power is fixed by the local authorities (FCC in the US).

Reactions: dronemanjem
Power is fixed by the local authorities (FCC in the US).
That is what I don't understand about B3YOND hack. I don't see how it benefits flyers in the US with more range? The hack just tricks other Countries that they are in the US? Does that make sense? Maybe I'm missing something?.

Reactions: Noobnoobnoob

Seems to me your phantom 4 does exactly what you want. I dont see any reason for you to purchase the fpv.
its a sports car (not quite an F1 car) thats quick and nimble and is good at that. Certainly no use for other software like litchie or other flight planning apps.
It is what it is and that wont suit everyone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax