Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Beginner question regarding best budget drone equipment

I'm very sorry if I offended anyone or came off as confrontational. I just took offense to someone basically telling the OP what to do and basically saying the he or anyone that doesn't agree was stupid. (I'm paraphrasing). The original post the made me respond so strongly was then edited with the message softened up, but I had already reacted. I've always said everyone has different reasons and goals when getting into FPV and the great thing is that finally there is enough choice to meet everyone's expectations. Again. Truly sorry if I upset anyone. I have a pretty good write-up regarding considerations when choosing your first quad. I'll start a new thread with it.

Hi big guy, I’ve been following this thread for a little while and basically sitting eating popcorn whilst a couple of personalities thrash it out. As mentioned above, both have very valid points regarding setting out on this journey. There are some really useful threads in the search engine regarding beginner quads and the tinyhawk seems to be a firm favorite. They are a great intro into learning to fly, they crash with a bit more dignity than the larger quads and are reasonably easy to fix. Depending on your flying style, 2.5 - 3.5 mins battery life on 2S, so most folk have at least 6 batteries ready to go. My story was starting out on a sim (Liftoff) which had me bored after one day so I just went out and sent it. Probably not my smartest move but I’ve been flying helis, planes and gliders for years and I learned as I went along. First quad was a wizard x220 which was the perennial favorite back then as the smaller quads didn’t exist in the mainstream. I crashed, burned and rebuilt that quad and others many times and you will too when you get into it, regardless of what you end up with.
I have about 18 quads now, both analogue and digital and am currently into long range cruising. It doesn’t matter what batteries you run, the variable will be with the motors, tune, your flying style and props that you run and obviously the weight of the rig. I have a chimera 4 that will run for about 8-9 mins on slow cruising on a 4S 859 mah battery and that is fine by me but also have a iFlight DC5 that will destroy a battery in 3 mins on fairly aggressive acro.
Regardless of what you fly, remember to have fun and learn at your own pace. This forum is fantastic (mostly) for support so hang in there.

Thanks for your input. Since I am just starting out, I figured I will not need to fly at speeds of 100+mph, so trying to select a drone which would be slightly less powerful but will give me more flight time ( more time to practise ) but at the same time let me experience what it is like to fly fast and sharp. Since you mentioned chimera 4, I had a quick look at it and it looks cool! The only issue with that drone is that it might be troublesome to put my goprohero 8 in there even though its not even a good idea to put a gopro on my drone before I learnt how to fly properly cause I am going to bang it to a tree.

Also, the reason why I mentioned getting nazgul v2 is because it is one of the few drones that is available in my local drone shop. (There are not many drones for sale here because drone flying is not very popular yet where I live ).

I am also considering getting a tinyhawk little guy.

I am picking up my radiomaster tx16 radio today and as choppergirl suggested, Im going to have a go at liftoff to learn the basic controls. I have also decided to grab cheap EV800DM goggles next (I can grab them for 80e locally) I figured I didint want to spend too much on analog goggles at this time because at some point in the near future I am going to grab DJI fpv goggles unless fatshark releases something amazing.

Is there any general rule between 4s and 6s batteries? In theory, 6s should provide with more battery life and more power but cost more, is that right?

I have just got radiomaster tx16s. I am slightly concerned whether it is defective. I have bought some 3.7 batteries and plugged them in, everything is working fine. Played simulators for a few hours untill the radio discharged. It does not seem to be charging through the USB port. How do I charge the batteries? The user manual says that I can charge through USB.

The USB charging port is on the bottom of the radio and will only charge a battery plugged into the JST port in the battery compartment. the USB port on top is data only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blackphoenix