Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Can I fly with the goggles off?

mesasys

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not a newbie to RC flying. However, I'm new to FPV. I have a Mark4 quad. It came with a FPV system. I believe it's the Caddex Nebula Nano. I don't have the DJI goggles yet. After going through Betaflight setup I was able to hover the drone for a test flight. I'm concerned with flying the drone and not having the goggles turned on or bound. So my question is can I overheat or damage the Caddex or flight controller if I fly the drone without the goggles bound or turned on?

When flying without the goggles, I'm not worried about the GPS module since I won't fly far enough to activate the failsafe. I know my throttle cut switch works and the motors stop if I turn off the transmitter. The safety thing is another topic. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't care a single bit if there's something to receive or not.

Thanks guys. Just being extra careful not to damage anything too soon. Goggles are on the way, but it's nice to know I can fly line of sight without damaging the system.

Thanks guys. Just being extra careful not to damage anything too soon. Goggles are on the way, but it's nice to know I can fly line of sight without damaging the system.
I do not think it would be a issue since your goggles are not bound to the caddx vista yet, so there would be no video transmission going on until you did.

the only time a transmitter could be damaged is by not putting the antenna on it depending on how high the transmit power is.. higher transmit power with no antenna will cause damage. not sure where the power cutoff is for not needing to use the antenna

the only time a transmitter could be damaged is by not putting the antenna on it depending on how high the transmit power is.. higher transmit power with no antenna will cause damage. not sure where the power cutoff is for not needing to use the antenna
Interesting. I never thought of that one. I was thinking more along the lines of the unit overheating if the unit couldn't find the goggles. Luckily I flew it with the antenna on. Thanks!

Think of the vtx as a radio station. The radio stations transmitter does its thing regardless whether or not any one is tuned in to the station. Just like it doesn't care if there are thousands of radios tuned in. Transmitters just transmit and don't care if there is a receiver.

Not sure if it varies with drones, but I can certainly speak from my experience with mine, in that there are several connection options, one of which does not require the monitor or the goggles. I have not used this function however, since I managed to nearly execute myself on my first flight on the long road to teaching myself FPV.

Hi all,
I'm not a newbie to RC flying. However, I'm new to FPV. I have a Mark4 quad. It came with a FPV system. I believe it's the Caddex Nebula Nano. I don't have the DJI goggles yet. After going through Betaflight setup I was able to hover the drone for a test flight. I'm concerned with flying the drone and not having the goggles turned on or bound. So my question is can I overheat or damage the Caddex or flight controller if I fly the drone without the goggles bound or turned on?

When flying without the goggles, I'm not worried about the GPS module since I won't fly far enough to activate the failsafe. I know my throttle cut switch works and the motors stop if I turn off the transmitter. The safety thing is another topic. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
No not a problem at all, I fly LOS all the time, you actually should practice LOS anyway to get more proficient.

Reactions: Slozukimc
No not a problem at all, I fly LOS all the time, you actually should practice LOS anyway to get more proficient.
I fly my Storm SRD250 VLOS all of the time. I am still learning inside with it. Too cold outside to crash my baby. can't wait to get the hang of this thing so I can try the Goggles. I started flying with GPS and barometer. That was easy; this manual stuff is hard for an old guy. lmao

Mike

Reactions: AngryPepper
I fly my Storm SRD250 VLOS all of the time. I am still learning inside with it. Too cold outside to crash my baby. can't wait to get the hang of this thing so I can try the Goggles. I started flying with GPS and barometer. That was easy; this manual stuff is hard for an old guy. lmao

Mike
Hey Slozukimc, don’t sweat it, I’m 58 and I thought I’d never get the hang of it, but I practiced and practiced, then one day I was able to fly with my googles on for the whole length of the battery, I was so happy I was literally shaking. If your not practiceing with one of the online simulators, you should, it makes a world of difference. Liftoff, and Vilocidrone are 2 of my favorites. There is also a fantastic book out, called FPV Dynamics, by: Christian Molica, it goes over every aspect of fpv flying, it’s got a ton of fantastic color pictures depicting stick positions, and it also goes into the physics of drone flying which are very different than fixed wing aircraft, it’s about $30.00 but it’s worth every penny. Good luck, I’m glad to read that are some old timers out there flying FPV.

Reactions: Slozukimc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blackphoenix