Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

.DAT available

Probably showing my "newbie-ness" but...I never had any luck with the DJI Fly app. But when I installed DJI Assistant on the computer and connected the goggles to it (something DJI Support never suggested I do, which seems odd...) boom! I could sync it, and I was able to export the DAT file.
Note that the FLY app wasn't installed onto the phone until AFTER the incident...but if DJI Assistant was able to access the goggle data, DJI Fly on the phone should have had just as easy a time as Assistant did...
I think I will call them to see what if they can do any analysis on this DAT...
My experience has been that the log files obtained by using the DJI Assistant 2 are encrypted. You have to use the Fly App to retrieve useable log files.

It doesn't matter that the Fly App was installed after the incident. The log files are created and stored on the goggles at the time of the flight. The Fly App just copies any existing log files from the goggles to the Fly App.

It would be nice to be able to retrieve a .DAT without the FPV being on and connected. E.g. when the FPV hasn't been recovered. But, I've been unable to determine when this works. I've seen both situations. Anybody have any insight on this?
Yea, on about my 5th flight, I went to launch and the thing just TOOK OFF, up and to the side and in about 5 seconds it was out in the lake! But at the time I didn't have the DJI Fly app on my phone so I didn't feel like I had anything...DJI tried to walk me through the sync process, but it just never seemed to work, esp since they kept talking about "the app" and my "phone" and I keep saying "But I didn't have the phone connected nor the app installed a the time..." The files/folders they were talking about just weren't on the goggle's sd card... I somehow then hit the Find My Drone button on the goggles and saw the Final Flight! WTF?! And the Find My Drone button in the app on my phone (I'd installed it) showed the location on the map! (At no point did anyone mention that there was memory in the goggles that captured/stored video from...)
Anyway, to make a long story longer, (after buying a replacement DJI, 10% discount from DJI, thank you very much) with the app on the phone and the phone connected to the goggles I was eventually able to sync/upload the flight data. And DJI was able to determine that there was a "compass" error and not pilot error. As I was still within the warranty period DJI (is in the process of) refunded the cost of the replacement!
So all's well that ends well, except I am now VERY tentative about flying over water...
Hope this helps someone else...

Reactions: BudWalker
Yea, on about my 5th flight, I went to launch and the thing just TOOK OFF, up and to the side and in about 5 seconds it was out in the lake! But at the time I didn't have the DJI Fly app on my phone so I didn't feel like I had anything...DJI tried to walk me through the sync process, but it just never seemed to work, esp since they kept talking about "the app" and my "phone" and I keep saying "But I didn't have the phone connected nor the app installed a the time..." The files/folders they were talking about just weren't on the goggle's sd card... I somehow then hit the Find My Drone button on the goggles and saw the Final Flight! WTF?! And the Find My Drone button in the app on my phone (I'd installed it) showed the location on the map! (At no point did anyone mention that there was memory in the goggles that captured/stored video from...)
Anyway, to make a long story longer, (after buying a replacement DJI, 10% discount from DJI, thank you very much) with the app on the phone and the phone connected to the goggles I was eventually able to sync/upload the flight data. And DJI was able to determine that there was a "compass" error and not pilot error. As I was still within the warranty period DJI (is in the process of) refunded the cost of the replacement!
So all's well that ends well, except I am now VERY tentative about flying over water...
Hope this helps someone else...
Just to be clear neither the controller or drone is necessary to retrieve the log files from the goggles. My post that you referenced came from a time when it was necessary - I think that got changed with a firmware update. I've deleted that erroneous post.

Also, just to be clear. The log files are recorded on the goggle's internal memory not on the removable SD card.

Worth mentioning is that using the DJI Assistant 2 to retrieve log files from the goggles will yield encrypted log files that aren't useable. To get useable log files one must first transfer the log files from the goggles to the Fly App.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael610
Just to be clear neither the controller or drone is necessary to retrieve the log files from the goggles. My post that you referenced came from a time when it was necessary - I think that got changed with a firmware update. I've deleted that erroneous post.

Also, just to be clear. The log files are recorded on the goggle's internal memory not on the removable SD card.

Worth mentioning is that using the DJI Assistant 2 to retrieve log files from the goggles will yield encrypted log files that aren't useable. To get useable log files one must first transfer the log files from the goggles to the Fly App.
Thanks, that's helpful. Slowly building up my knowledge base!
Haven't yet figured out how to actually pull the log files after they are in the Fly app, but I'll poke around some more.
I appreciate the help.
m

Thanks, that's helpful. Slowly building up my knowledge base!
Haven't yet figured out how to actually pull the log files after they are in the Fly app, but I'll poke around some more.
I appreciate the help.
m
There are a couple of really good explanations about retrieving log files from the Fly App

1) The Locating Your Flight Logs section on this site
DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

2) Section 3. LOG FILE RETRIEVAL in this post
Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone