Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Disconnect after about 1 mile in flight

careless

Reaction score
Is there any way or setting to extend my range? The goggles disconnect and the drone goes to RTH after about a mile in flight. I forgot to mention that I'm flying my new DJI FPV

Last edited:
May be helpful to know the rest of the hardware being used.

I don’t think the range you’re getting is out of line for what you have.
If there is hardware out there to extend that range, I would not know.
I’ve had other DJI products with supposed range extenders and didn’t get much benefit from those products.

the DJI FPV will easily do 4km.... assuming you have line of sight, and no interference, just - force it to 2.4 ghz.
(Im in CE region)

in my experience (Im in 'open' countryside range is mostly limited by line of sight (hills getting in the way), altitude limits ( max 500m above take off point) and battery time.

beyond 2.5k... I always turn back, not due to signal -but battery, Im usually flying a 'circuit' rather than straight out n' back, so 2.5k, can easily be an 8k flight distance - at that point, a change in wind conditions could mean lack of battery ... and you dont want to go below 10-15% as, repeatedly, it will damage your battery.

of couse, in most countries, legally your spotter(s) must always be able to see (unaided!) the drone, so going long distances need some organisation ;)

you say RTH is triggered, is this because you lose control (video or remote control?)
or is it just doing an RTH

if its just returning home, and you still had control/video - then check your maximum distance is not set in the menu - you can set this to unlimited.

Last edited:
the DJI FPV will easily do 4km.... assuming you have line of sight, and no interference, just - force it to 2.4 ghz.
(Im in CE region)

in my experience (Im in 'open' countryside range is mostly limited by line of sight (hills getting in the way), altitude limits ( max 500m above take off point) and battery time.

beyond 2.5k... I always turn back, not due to signal -but battery, Im usually flying a 'circuit' rather than straight out n' back, so 2.5k, can easily be an 8k flight distance - at that point, a change in wind conditions could mean lack of battery ... and you dont want to go below 10-15% as, repeatedly, it will damage your battery.

of couse, in most countries, legally your spotter(s) must always be able to see (unaided!) the drone, so going long distances need some organisation ;)

you say RTH is triggered, is this because you lose control (video or remote control?)
or is it just doing an RTH

if its just returning home, and you still had control/video - then check your maximum distance is not set in the menu - you can set this to unlimited.
No limit on distance and the goggles view is disconnected until it is about halfway home then everything goes normal, so I cancel return and continue to fly.

have you tried forcing it to use 2.4ghz, (transmission settings manual),
it appears AUTO will always select 5.8ghz, which I've personally found is much more limited in range and penetration.

apart from that, my only issues are line of site... the further out, the less penetration you'll get, so hills/buildings will cause issues.

often you can just gain some height (within legal restrictions) to ensure you're getting a clean signal

if thats not working, perhaps try flying somewhere else, perhaps something is interfering with your signal.

have you tried forcing it to use 2.4ghz, (transmission settings manual),
it appears AUTO will always select 5.8ghz, which I've personally found is much more limited in range and penetration.

apart from that, my only issues are line of site... the further out, the less penetration you'll get, so hills/buildings will cause issues.

often you can just gain some height (within legal restrictions) to ensure you're getting a clean signal

if thats not working, perhaps try flying somewhere else, perhaps something is interfering with your signal.
Thanks' I was going out today and try a different area and see if it helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax