Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Opinions?

I beleive there are armas an motora and arms with motors now available, I saw a post about this on YT, where I don't know but f I remember correctly it was on the DJI site
You still have to solder things. In all honesty the DJI Care doesn’t seem like such a bad idea at this point. I don’t have the time to solder and with what little time I have I’d rather fly amongst a million other things.

I agree that they could have made the arms modular but they didn’t, on purpose.

You still have to solder things. In all honesty the DJI Care doesn’t seem like such a bad idea at this point. I don’t have the time to solder and with what little time I have I’d rather fly amongst a million other things.

I agree that they could have made the arms modular but they didn’t, on purpose.
I know your point very well, time is a killer of all things fun, if you don't have it I don't really "mind" soldering, though I prefer not to HAVE to do it. Even traditional fpv components now give you the option of connectors or soldering( FCs/ESCs)DJI could have done the same. What I'd love to see is carbon replacements, not decorative carbon on plastic, it shouldn't be impossible to do, even if the arms are simple tubular carbon, should be doable.

I know your point very well, time is a killer of all things fun, if you don't have it I don't really "mind" soldering, though I prefer not to HAVE to do it. Even traditional fpv components now give you the option of connectors or soldering( FCs/ESCs)DJI could have done the same. What I'd love to see is carbon replacements, not decorative carbon on plastic, it shouldn't be impossible to do, even if the arms are simple tubular carbon, should be doable.
You know what would be really cool? 3rd part carbon fiber bodies and frames for this drone!!

Reactions: m3sgal
since the spares including secs and FCs are making their way into the market maybe it's a matter of time, however we have to think that there is a lot more to it, I don't think the FC alone is the brain of the operation. if someone were to break one down and transfer all the original parts toa traditional carbon frame, it could ne a game changer

since the spares including secs and FCs are making their way into the market maybe it's a matter of time, however we have to think that there is a lot more to it, I don't think the FC alone is the brain of the operation. if someone were to break one down and transfer all the original parts toa traditional carbon frame, it could ne a game changer
You will laugh at me but... what are “secs”? What are “FCs”?

Reactions: A.O.
I will laugh at me first , ESC (SECs :rolleyes:), basically engine speed control and FC flight controller the brain that allows the 4 motors to dance in concert

Reactions: A.O.
You know what would be really cool? 3rd part carbon fiber bodies and frames for this drone!!
I'm actually looking forward for someone doing such transplant successfully, so that I get the courage to do the same

I beleive there are armas an motora and arms with motors now available, I saw a post about this on YT, where I don't know but f I remember correctly it was on the DJI site
yeah, in the last few days they appear to have started to arrive on peoples doorsteps.

mine should arrive at DJI for repair quote tommorow ... Im pretty sure in this case it wont be worth asking for the replacement (via refresh) and cheaper to have repair done.

I am quite tempted to order some spares now...just in case there is a next time, someone has posted a video of an arm repair, and whilst it looks a bit fiddly,
Id be pretty confident I could do it.
the main advantage, I see, of this is time ... I think the shipping to/from dji + repair time will be close to 2.5-3 weeks. (I live in a rural area so UPS can be pretty slow)

I think if I can do self repair - and also once I get the arm bracers - I'll feel like I can push the drone a little more :)

Reactions: Noobnoobnoob

I wonder how far we are off from that....now we are seeing all the parts available from China...

so the question is... how did they make these spares? are these just an alternative outlet from the same manufacture as DJI use? ( I suspect this is the case ;) )
or did they copy them.. if the later, surely not that hard to make in an alternative material?

I wonder how far we are off from that....now we are seeing all the parts available from China...

so the question is... how did they make these spares? are these just an alternative outlet from the same manufacture as DJI use? ( I suspect this is the case ;) )
or did they copy them.. if the later, surely not that hard to make in an alternative material?
98% of these spares are from Shenzhen, China. Something tells me that these are leftover parts from the outsourced manufacturer... and DJI willingly turns a blind eye to it all.

Reactions: thetechnobear
Pretty common practice in China to make copies of brand name gear and sell it in some cases very cheap (in this case surely demand will be high as well as pricesI don't think China will bother with carbon parts as they want to sell more, I think it's up to us to come up with that, I wish I had a clue when it comes to carbon. I don't know if anyone here knows Yuneec, but they had a pretty popular bird the Q500 Typhoon that had an alternative frame sold by a third party company known as Rakon, it had simple tubular arms and a plastic top that made it look eons better that the original and was much stronger, someone could possibly have the foresight to see (is that redundant?) how well something like that would sell. Not saying that the little piggy is not cool looking, but strength and looks don't always go together well. However a good design/engineering team could come up with something also cool. The big caveat is being able to tune it as the frame might change an already poor PID tuning (or so the people in the know say) enough to make the mod impossible fly.

Reactions: thetechnobear

I am quite tempted to order some spares now...just in case there is a next time, someone has posted a video of an arm repair, and whilst it looks a bit fiddly,
Id be pretty confident I could do it.
the main advantage, I see, of this is time ... I think the shipping to/from dji + repair time will be close to 2.5-3 weeks. (I live in a rural area so UPS can be pretty slow)
Why not just buy a spare drone? Sets you back $750,- but then you're sure you'll be able to fly... You can then either repair it or have it repaired. I know I will be watching the second hand market for someone who crashes his RC and goggles and is getting rid of the drone for little... Just afraid I can wait for a long time for such an opportunity! :'-D

Why not just buy a spare drone? Sets you back $750,- but then you're sure you'll be able to fly... You can then either repair it or have it repaired. I know I will be watching the second hand market for someone who crashes his RC and goggles and is getting rid of the drone for little... Just afraid I can wait for a long time for such an opportunity! :'-D
i think the issue is, 80% of the time you are going to be breaking the front arms - and these only cost about 18 euros each :)

I also have care refresh - so if I have a big/expensive crash - i'll just use one of returns.

The big caveat is being able to tune it as the frame might change an already poor PID tuning (or so the people in the know say) enough to make the mod impossible fly.
yeah this is the issue, as i suspect we will never get access to changing the pid.
so... that implies a new frame/parts cannot substantially change the flight characteristics- which feels 'unlikely'.

the other issue is, can the design/manufacturing effort be justified?
(probably alot more complicated than the 'diy' x-frames used by most fpv quads)

sure there are a large number of dji fpv owneres, but ...
- how many would care about a new frame/arms?
- how many have skills to make the change?

i suspect very few

yeah this is the issue, as i suspect we will never get access to changing the pid.
so... that implies a new frame/parts cannot substantially change the flight characteristics- which feels 'unlikely'.

i suspect very few
I'm thinking just a carbon fiber frame with flat plates. The motors and main body just need to be in the right places and angles on flat plates. Maybe have it so that the cockpit part can be screwed into the frame. If you have a crash breaking an arm, you'll just replace a cheap arm and have easier access to body parts in case you needed to solder. Durability should increase, but we will never know unless we succeed and put it to the test.

i suspect very few
Ok, I give up... what the heck is a "pid" ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya