Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Drone choice in velocidrone for beginners

Akitaki

Reaction score
I only flew standard drones (mavic style) and coming to fpv I decided to spend some time in velocidrone to practice acro.

Following the tutorials, they say to start choosing a random drone... I was having a bit of a hard time especially trying to do race tracks until I changed drone with the junior racer. With other drones (I tried just a couple) I was drifting too much around flags, it was hard to stay close to the ground, just difficult throttle managment...but with the junior racer is way easier. Is it the size of the quad, the size of the props...?

The smaller the quad is the less the weight is. A larger heavier quad has more momentum so will be harder to control as it wants to keep going in the same direction when you turn and needs more counter acting with the controls by the pilot, more than lighter quads with less weight and momentum. Larger quads also have more power so throttle control will be harder. Tiny whoops are much easier to control because of that reason, and the extra drag from the propeller ducts.

The smaller the quad is the less the weight is. A larger heavier quad has more momentum so will be harder to control as it wants to keep going in the same direction when you turn and needs more counter acting with the controls by the pilot, more than lighter quads with less weight and momentum. Larger quads also have more power so throttle control will be harder. Tiny whoops are much easier to control because of that reason, and the extra drag from the propeller ducts.
Didn't think of the drone weight itself and it make sense, but it's really day and night, with the tbs oblivion (random choice) I get tons more drift than with a tinyhawk, almost impossible to hit the gates correctly... Does this translates to real life too, this much difference?

Last edited:
Didn't think of the drone weight itself and it make sense, but it's really day and night, with the tbs oblivion (random choice) I get tons more drift than with a tinyhawk, almost impossible to hit the gates correctly... Does this translates to real life too, this much difference?
The tinyhawk is very small and yes it makes a lot of difference. Real life is pretty much the same. I have only flown up to 2-1/2 inch open props and it drifts much more than my whoops. I took a Moblite7 (whoop) and moved it to a open prop frame and the same size handles different between ducts around the props vs open props with no ducts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: okw

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax