Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

First MC flight today (Motion controller)

A.O.

Reaction score
Well I got the MC yesterday and got it charged up last night. So this morning I went to set it up for hopefully a flight this afternoon.... well.... one thing led to another and I had my first flight this morning. Very nervous but fun. I didn't fly for long b but it was pretty cool. Main thing I noticed was slow turns but I'm sure practice will help with that. I'll work on some more flight time this afternoon hopefully! I'll let you know.

It's fun, isn't it? I had my 11 year old niece fly the FPV with the motion controller last weekend. Told her first to "not touch the trigger". Let her play a little bit with it while the drone was rotating around. Then flew it to some altitude and let her squeeze the trigger a bit, telling her to not descend... She felt like a pro in no time! So much fun to be able to share this, something which I think would not have been possible safely with the normal controls.

It's fun, isn't it? I had my 11 year old niece fly the FPV with the motion controller last weekend. Told her first to "not touch the trigger". Let her play a little bit with it while the drone was rotating around. Then flew it to some altitude and let her squeeze the trigger a bit, telling her to not descend... She felt like a pro in no time! So much fun to be able to share this, something which I think would not have been possible safely with the normal controls.
Yes definitely fun...

I think you are right about sharing , this would be easier than the sticks. Its like a live video game! Did she do it with the goggles on?

And I cant wait to get some more flight time!

Reactions: JoostGT3
Yes definitely fun...

I think you are right about sharing , this would be easier than the sticks. Its like a live video game! Did she do it with the goggles on?

And I cant wait to get some more flight time!
Yeah, she did, but the weekend before, I let her fly the sim, and after 15 minutes she got sick. So at first she was hesitant to use it again, so flew without it for a bit. Then I helped her get over the fear of getting sick by letting her fly the last 2 minutes or so fly with the goggles on. Quiet flying, smooth motions, no time to get sick... she was jumping up and down afterward and bragging to her mum what an awesome pilot she was :-D Proud uncle moments!

Reactions: Halifax and A.O.
You mentioned the slow turns issue, but I'm not sure if you are aware that if you tilt/roll the controller to either left or right almost horizontally (as opposed to yaw) , then you would get faster turns

Hopefully I'll get out to fly tomorrow and play around some more.

So went flying with the MC again today, couple things I noticed was no gimbal control with MC in normal or sport mode! Kept getting a warning " Interference at MC location" , I'm guessing it was because I was sitting in a metal "arm chair" and it didn't like the metal my arm was resting on, if I moved my arm the warning would go away. Got another battery firmware update and I think I will have one more coming to finish out the batteries I have.
Not real sure I like the Motion controller. I never flew a real plane and it does not seem real intuitive to me as some have said. Also the original controller is WAY more precise with the birds movements. I flew down a trail today with the RC, and I dont think I would do the same with the MC. I will try it a few more times before I make up my mind on it.

Yes, the motion controller has an interference issue when close to metal (e.g. my watch). I've never flew an airplane either, but found the motion controller very intuitive. Of course it cannot be as precise as the sticks when you are experienced. However, if you don't know how to fly in manual mode, then the motion controller would get you simulated feel to that experience in term of smooth flight and dives. I said simulated feel, because it is actually simulated by adjusting altitude and banking while changing camera angle up or down. This is why you cannot change camera tilt with the motion controller, because it is used actively to give that effect. I found that as soon as I got used at focusing at where the circle at - rather than the screen center - helped me guiding the direction of the drone. Also, I use roll rather than yaw for turns. The amount of throttle is also important

HaHa!! I think that would be power crashes unfortunately!! I'll get there eventually!

How ya doing Gary?
I'm good thanks my friend, Hope your keeping well. Glad it's going well with the new bird. There seems lots more stuff to learn with the FPV than with our Mavics, are you glad you made the switch. Hopefully you're get used to the MC as time goes on. ??

I'm good thanks my friend, Hope your keeping well. Glad it's going well with the new bird. There seems lots more stuff to learn with the FPV than with our Mavics, are you glad you made the switch. Hopefully you're get used to the MC as time goes on. ??
Normal and Sport mode are pretty much the same as flying a Mavic but the view and the feeling of flying is different. I've not even tried the manual mode except for in the sim, but no rush, I'll get there. And yes, I am very glad I made the switch! And we'll see about the MC, I got it from Amazon and I might return it, haven't decided yet.
Good to hear from you.

yes, flying with MC is a Hoot. I like the center circle BULLS EYE. Aim like a pistol

yes, flying with MC is a Hoot. I like the center circle BULLS EYE. Aim like a pistol
I do like the aiming circle and need to try it out a few more times before I make a decision.

I live on a golf course and I use the MC to fly low around the flag sticks in a pattern. I'm afraid I caused a guy to miss a 3 foot putt the other day.:D:eek:

Well it seems to me that for $200 that this thing should be just exhilarating to fly with, but it is not. Way more fun to me to use the sticks, every day I try to get out and fly both the sticks and the MC for comparison and the sticks always win! More control, will go straight up or straight down, sideways, go backwards and all that good stuff. But with the MC I'm always having to un-naturally twist my arm around sometimes even have to turn my whole body to get it to turn the way I want. And landing, what a pain that is, trying to get the bird to sit still in one place over a little landing pad long enough to land it is nuts. With the sticks its easy as can be.
So I've decided to send it back and get a refund. It was worth a try.
And for all you guys that will tell me its easy and great... I'm glad you think so, I do not.

Well it seems to me that for $200 that this thing should be just exhilarating to fly with, but it is not. Way more fun to me to use the sticks, every day I try to get out and fly both the sticks and the MC for comparison and the sticks always win! More control, will go straight up or straight down, sideways, go backwards and all that good stuff. But with the MC I'm always having to un-naturally twist my arm around sometimes even have to turn my whole body to get it to turn the way I want. And landing, what a pain that is, trying to get the bird to sit still in one place over a little landing pad long enough to land it is nuts. With the sticks its easy as can be.
So I've decided to send it back and get a refund. It was worth a try.
And for all you guys that will tell me its easy and great... I'm glad you think so, I do not.
I do understand where you're coming from. I like it, but more as a gimmick. The best thing about it is the ease of flying. Let my niece fly last weekend and it was so cool to do. Yesterday, I let a friend of mine fly it, and he was absolutely blown away by the FPV experience and the fact he could just fly around and go/look wherever he wanted to. I'm so happy I can share that experience with people, and that makes it (almost) worth every penny (to me).

I do understand where you're coming from. I like it, but more as a gimmick. The best thing about it is the ease of flying. Let my niece fly last weekend and it was so cool to do. Yesterday, I let a friend of mine fly it, and he was absolutely blown away by the FPV experience and the fact he could just fly around and go/look wherever he wanted to. I'm so happy I can share that experience with people, and that makes it (almost) worth every penny (to me).
And way up in the sky or in an area of no obstacles that's fine, it does that pretty well, but I like flying more through the woods here and not over them and for that application I'll stick with the sticks..
And it is not worth 200 bucks to me.

It's not going to be for everyone. Two thing to note: you can ascend and descend straight up and down by holding the controllers pitched up or down 90deg. Also, you turn by tilting (rolling) the controller left/right -- you don't need to rotate in the yaw axes. While it will follow yaw rotation, the pitching movement is the intended control motion.

As such, there isn't any reason to contort yourself. You can fly comfortably just tilting and pitching the controller, and using the trigger for throttle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax