Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Flysky FS-i6 range issues

Rmac13

Reaction score
I bought a Eachine Wizard 220 and it came with the fly sky FS-i6 transmitter and Flysky FS-A8S receiver single antenna. I set it up on Betaflight. Took out to fly and it would lose range less then 50 feet away or if I stayed within 50 feet of myself but went up 30 feet it would lose signal and failsafe and drop out of the sky. So I changed receiver to Flysky X6B i-BUS 2.4GHz 6CH Dual Antenna Receiver for AFHDS i6s i6 i6x Transmitter.
This helped the range but only slightly to maybe 300 feet away??? It seems to me that these quads I see on you tube are able to run several football fields away and they are flying through buildings and around obstacles not problem. Also I looked up the fly sky range on the net and range tests show 1.2 to 2.5 km? So I recently bought an Eachine Trashcan and the range on this is even worse, it loses signal just 20 feet away and failsafes hits the ground???? So what gives, I check the antennas connection and both were fine. I had the original receiver in the wizard and changed out for the X6B not much improvement and now I have the trashcan and its range is worse. So is my Fly Sky transmitter the prob? Or is it defective? Should I bother fixing it or just replace it with a Taranis??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would upgrade to a teranis Xd7 or 9 as long as that would solve the problem. Not much fun trying to fly within such a small space and every time it failsafes it cost a lot to fix???

• Sad
Reactions: HighTechPauper
It sure sounds like the TX has a bad TX board or the antenna has come loose inside (which would likely damage the transmit module anyway, no antenna on a transmitter is bad bad), and you can't just switch to Frsky QX7 or X9D since it is a different control protocol (won't work with your Flysky RX's). You should definitely be getting much better range, and given all the different quads and RX's it points to the transmitter module in the radio. If the radio is new maybe you can return for another, if you haven't tried to disassemble the TX to have a look then MAYBE Flysky service can do something for you, I just hate that stuff because it is such a pain to deal with and they usually find some way to deny the claim.

Definitely agree with @HighTechPauper with regards to zooming in on the transmitter. They are not the most robust bits of gear, you have nothing to lose with opening it up and looking at your antenna connection to start with. I started out (like everyone else) with a couple of wizard x220 quads and also picked up a trashcan (3 actually) and they can be an issue with failsafes on the earlier versions. As for the wizard/FS-i6 combo getting out to 2 klms of range or so, that would be in absolutely ideal conditions and I’d suggest that your video would be long gone on a wizard before then.
Maybe look at changing over to Frsky and grabbing an X9D or QX7S ( the ACCST model), run either XM+ or X-SXR receivers and you will probably be instantly rewarded. Second hand Taranis Tx are reasonably priced and can be updated (openTx)to make the hobby/addiction more affordable.

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate the help. This FPV hobby is really learned online as I Don't have friends in the hobby and you can't run over to the local hobby store and get much help with these quads. These are my first two FPV quads and definitely entry level stuff for sure but I would still figure on getting a football field of range at least and I'm line of sight when flying too. Unfortunately by the time I'm figuring out the transmitter is probably the issue it's too late to send back for repair or replacement. If I were to go to a Taranis I could switch out the receiver in the wizard no prob, but the Trashcan was ordered with Flysky AFHDS 2A Receiver. So I would have to order the Frsky Non-EU Receiver separate, but I believe the receiver is on the flight controller board which is the (Crazybee F4 PRO V3.0 Flight Controller). built in. so I think I would have to replace the whole board. I'm not looking to do anything like the pros are the videos but would like to just get the FPV experience. Moving up to Crossfire and transmitters that can use those mods looks uh bit expensive.

Unfortunately the investment in this hobby sits on your head and around your neck. You need to spend a bit to get that right and after that you’re pretty much sorted. Maybe grab another Flysky transmitter and try that without investing too much more to see if that firstly fixes the issue and secondly if you want to invest more in the hobby. I’m using an older Taranis QX7S with crossfire and the result is miles ahead of both flysky and the frsky receivers. Sure I’ve spent some money in the process and learnt lots of things through this forum and just generally making dumb mistakes, but this hobby is as much about learning as it is fun.

Reactions: mrmund
Thanks again guys for the help, I going to stay with the FPV hobby for sure. So I don't mined putting some cash into good equipment. Im looking for a set for decent range but don't have to be max just don't want to wreck expensive quads on failsafe. Also I like the tiny whoops because of their durability, can crash a lot and pretty hard with no damage, great way to get the skills up. So I'm definitely going to replace the fly sky transmitter and go to more permanent equipment. After doing a lot of research on the web I'm considering either a FrSky Taranis series (7 or 9) and crossfire setup to get the 900Mhz, or a Jumper T16 or 18. The thing I really like about the Jumper is not having to replace receivers and also having the option to purchase different company receivers on future quad purchases. That seems to be a great benefit. How ever Frsky Taranis series (7 or 9) and a Crossfire Mod has been around long time and tested to be reliable, top performing, and a go to system for FPV world. But it might be over kill. Whats your guys thoughts on FrSky vs Jumper overall?

I have a Taranis QX7 and if I were to get another radio it would be a Radiomaster T16s over a Jumper.

Reactions: tevek
I had the same problem with flysky i6s, the quad failsafe at around 30-50meters, maybe due some factory QC issues. I installed one of those red turbowing booster and problem solved...now Im flying 300-400 meters with no issues. I probably could stretch further if I wanted too...

I have the same issue. the odd thing is that it suddenly started happening when it used to be fine. Also, I noticed that when flying line of sight, it will go pretty far, but when it turns around it will failsafe. Same drone, same receiver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax