Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

how to stop DJI FPV wobble. Two Eagles attack

John Gowland

Reaction score
I posted this on the Mavic section but notice the wobble while the drone is at the bottom of the gorge.
Is there a way to stop this wobble? I only push the right stick forward to keep forward movement, yet it still wobbles. Sometimes that is a good effect but sometimes I want the thing as stable (horizontally) as possible. Is there also a way of not banking as an aircraft will naturally do? I have sort of got it when I am turning say right, I push the right stick right to counteract the banking effect.
Sorry a lot to ask but if someone can help with these two issues, I would very much appreciate it.
I have seen some FPV flights where it is rock solid, really smooth with no wobble at all.

Reactions: A.O.
Fly in manual mode.
That's the wind doing that, since in the GPS modes the aircraft aims to stay dead on a straight track with regards to the ground it'll constantly be tilting to compensate for wind and maintain that track. Since the gimbal has no mechanical roll stabilization that shows up on the video.

Fly in manual mode.
That's the wind doing that, since in the GPS modes the aircraft aims to stay dead on a straight track with regards to the ground it'll constantly be tilting to compensate for wind and maintain that track. Since the gimbal has no mechanical roll stabilization that shows up on the video.
Are you sure? When i fly in manual mode it wobbles even more. I was just about to re-engage the spring on the left stick because it's so hard to control and taking into account the wind is slower than sports mode. But i will take your advice and try again. Thanks for replying.

You might see more "fast" wobble in the goggles since the goggles view isn't stabilized but as long as camera stabilization is enabled most of it should be absent in the recording.
Now it does take some practice, but in manual you can favor the attitude rather than following a perfectly straight line.

Reactions: John Gowland
Are you sure? When i fly in manual mode it wobbles even more. I was just about to re-engage the spring on the left stick because it's so hard to control and taking into account the wind is slower than sports mode. But i will take your advice and try again. Thanks for replying.
About that...I decided that I wanted to try Manual mode with the sticks in regular Normal/Sport mode...no screw tightening...but the FPV seems unwilling to do that. On the FPV "stick alignment" test screen when going to Manual mode, it has a nasty red warning in the lower right corner to tighten the F2 screw...but I don't want to do that.

Is there some kind of interlock that prevents going into Manual mode unless that screw is tightened? That would be lame, if true.

Thx

Manual mode with the throttle spring active is nothing short of idiotic. A centered left stick opposes everything you SHOULD be doing to fly the aircraft. Throttle is as dynamic as the wind, speed, inertial forces, manoeuvres performed, and simply the subtle changes in air movement.
In the same way as a vehicle accelerator is depressed without overt thought, so the left stick becomes your "legs", constantly adjusting to the requirements of the moment.
This is in fact part of the thrill of manual mode. A super responsive 3 dimensional motion, controlled in exquisite detail by subtle, ongoing movements of the power.
If you don't follow, watch Mr Steele's videos, where he overlays his hand movements on his controller. Constant, subtle movements, which are done with as much thought as trying your shoelaces.
In manual, control is your friend.

Reactions: Kilrah
What helped me a great deal was to pinch the left stick right at the base, so the fingers press against the remote. This enables you to feel where the stick is in relation to the controller (middle, up, down, left, right), and also to hold a specific position by acting as a friction nut.
This also enabled you to make smoother and more controlled movements, and as a beginner, is very reassuring as you constantly can feel "where" the stick is.

The hardest thing to unlearn from stabilized drones is that the left stick in center position IS NOT NEUTRAL. The attitude, speed, g load, wind direction, etc, will determine the neutral position (neither up nor down).

The pinch that contacts the remote controller surface makes learning throttle control much easier, and removes the problem of not knowing what the throttle stick is actually commanding.

Manual mode with the throttle spring active is nothing short of idiotic. A centered left stick opposes everything you SHOULD be doing to fly the aircraft. Throttle is as dynamic as the wind, speed, inertial forces, manoeuvres performed, and simply the subtle changes in air movement.
In the same way as a vehicle accelerator is depressed without overt thought, so the left stick becomes your "legs", constantly adjusting to the requirements of the moment.
This is in fact part of the thrill of manual mode. A super responsive 3 dimensional motion, controlled in exquisite detail by subtle, ongoing movements of the power.
If you don't follow, watch Mr Steele's videos, where he overlays his hand movements on his controller. Constant, subtle movements, which are done with as much thought as trying your shoelaces.
In manual, control is your friend.
Obviously, the PQ on this forum remains high...

As a matter of logic, it's irrational to say what I should be doing, unless you know what I want to get done, and it's apparent from your post that you don't.

I'm a cool seeker, not a thrill seeker. I have no desire at all to throw the aircraft around with wild abandon. That would require a great deal more attention, and that starts to make flying look like work, which is most certainly not my objective.

I understand the dynamics involved just fine. I used the "cruise control" feature in Sport mode for a while, but then decided that it wasn't as useful as I had expected.

Through a convoluted sequence of events, this is a replacement drone from my original FPV. On the one flight where I could get it to go into Manual mode a couple of times...with no stick friction...its response to the Normal-to-Manual transition was very different.

On the first aircraft, without control input from me, it would drift downward and backward at the transition point. Every time. With this one, the result of the transition was that it was almost in a hover, very little lateral motion, with just a slight tendency to drift up. I was able to zip down to the end of the canyon and back almost effortlessly.

Was that just a variation in characteristics between the two different FPV aircraft? Or did the centering stick have something to do with it? I don't know.

Plus, the fixed throttle position always remained annoying for me after switching to Normal mode for landing, which I always do.

What specific problems do you think a centering throttle would cause? After all, it's not like the spring force is overwhelming. I can still put the throttle wherever I want.

Don't assume that everybody wants the same things that you want.

TCS

What helped me a great deal was to pinch the left stick right at the base, so the fingers press against the remote. This enables you to feel where the stick is in relation to the controller (middle, up, down, left, right), and also to hold a specific position by acting as a friction nut.
This also enabled you to make smoother and more controlled movements, and as a beginner, is very reassuring as you constantly can feel "where" the stick is.

The hardest thing to unlearn from stabilized drones is that the left stick in center position IS NOT NEUTRAL. The attitude, speed, g load, wind direction, etc, will determine the neutral position (neither up nor down).

The pinch that contacts the remote controller surface makes learning throttle control much easier, and removes the problem of not knowing what the throttle stick is actually commanding.
This is great if it works for you, but I find that notion entirely unappealing. I feel no desire for that fine level of control. It takes much more attention (work) than I'm interested in doing. I just want to have fun, and do it faster than I can in Sport mode.

I viewed Manual mode as an entirely different aircraft when I started my transition training. A centered stick isn't "neutral" in the sense of being an altitude stabilizing position while in Manual, but it is a constant throttle setting.

Who knows? Maybe if I fly for a while without any stick friction, I may not like it, but that remains to be seen. My one and only flight where I've been able to do that, however, suggests that I will like it.

We'll see!

Thx,

TCS

Dude, what u WANT to get done is fly the drone in manual mode. Fundamentals are just that, fundamental!. Just like on other vehicles, there is no correct position for the accelerator, its position is COMPLETELY dependent on the moment.

Your "argument" is as ridiculous as saying a car should have a middle position for the accelerator and it should be spring loaded to return to this point, or an aircraft should have a throttle that returns to a middle setting.

I neither know, nor care, what u WANT to do. You have posted here, repeatedly, showing little more than your lack of experience re. fpv acro flying.

As someone with over 50 years of flying experience, and 10 years with drones, the first gen of which had no assistance, i am naive enough to attempt to offer assistance.

Previous posts of yours indicate a resistance to take advice from those who know a bit more, so my bad for responding to you.

I suggest you set the left stick to be spring controlled, use your care refresh, and find out the hard way.

Reactions: Kilrah
Dude, what u WANT to get done is fly the drone in manual mode.
I'm already doing that.
Your "argument" is as ridiculous as saying a car should have a middle position for the accelerator and it should be spring loaded to return to this point, or an aircraft should have a throttle that returns to a middle setting.
You don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. You make up some silly extrapolation of what I said, and then say that it's silly.

Not a huge intellectual achievement...
I neither know, nor care, what u WANT to do.
Well, then, you and I have something reciprocally in common.
You have posted here, repeatedly, showing little more than your lack of experience re. fpv acro flying.
You imply that you've read my posts, and yet you seem to have completely missed my numerous statements that I have no interest in acro flying. None. Nada. Zip. That's not what I got the FPV for.
As someone with over 50 years of flying experience, and 10 years with drones, the first gen of which had no assistance, i am naive enough to attempt to offer assistance.
When it's offered in non-snark tones, it will be gratefully accepted.
Previous posts of yours indicate a resistance to take advice from those who know a bit more, so my bad for responding to you.
I never take experts at face value. Not here, or in any other realm. I listen to advice, I evaluate it, and then I decide what to do.

A request for information is very different from a request for a decision, or an instruction.
I suggest you set the left stick to be spring controlled, use your care refresh, and find out the hard way.
I've flown it exactly once in that configuration, and it was uneventful. Far easier than the tales of doom and gloom that I hear about it would suggest.

I liked it. I won't know if I like it as a default until I've used it a few more times.

You seem to be part of the contingent that believes that if you don't do Manual mode exactly as ordained by the FPV Gods, then disaster will surely follow.

That's not even dimly true. As you mention, I've decided against the Revealed Wisdom on this a couple of times, and lo and behold! No disasters.

How can that be, if disaster must surely follow any deviation?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax