Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

is take off in manual supposed to be this hard?!

D_dep

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to fpv, after watching a number of fpv for beginners videos it seems that you can take off in manual with just the throttle and maybe a slight pitch adjustment. But that's not the case for my dji fpv.

In manual mode, if I gently raise the throttle, the front motors are moving more aggressively if I don't adjust the pitch quickly it causes the drone to flip backwards every time. This is all while the pitch is centered and drone on a flat surface.

Am I doing something wrong or does the drone need some calibration?
Thanks,

Taking off in manual mode needs a little more authority. A quick bump of throttle and a little forward pitch is the best way to get clear of the turbulent air generated when you are close to the ground. Trying to gently lift off is actually more difficult.

Reactions: A.O.
You have to "go for it", not hesitate, and no problem. Since it sits tilted it goes forward straight away naturally.

This starts with a manual takeoff:

And one seen from outside:

Reactions: raspberry
You have to "go for it", not hesitate, and no problem. Since it sits tilted it goes forward straight away naturally.

This starts with a manual takeoff:

And one seen from outside:

wow that's pretty smooth, are you an experience fpv pilot? mine looks nothing like that, i'm gonna try to film it next time.

I've been flying FPV quads basically since they appeared about 13 years ago, but then pretty much nothing other than assisted stuff like Mavics for the past 4-5 years so I'm a bit rusty... but it seems it's like riding a bike, you don't forget much :)

At least this thing is exactly what I needed to draw me back into it. Now I really want to fly but weather's been garbage :(

In short: YES.

Manual mode is supposed to maintain attitude, as we're discussing in another thread. Since the FPV does sits on the ground with a positive pitch angle, unless you (skillfully) compensate for this with pitch/roll, and keep compensating, it will not take off straight up, and you will be trying to stop a hockey puck on ice from moving around at all.

Reactions: thetechnobear
I've been flying FPV quads basically since they appeared about 13 years ago, but then pretty much nothing other than assisted stuff like Mavics for the past 4-5 years so I'm a bit rusty... but it seems it's like riding a bike, you don't forget much :)

At least this thing is exactly what I needed to draw me back into it. Now I really want to fly but weather's been garbage :(
well I feel a little less intimidated now that I see you have been flying FPV quads. I am having a hard time getting out of Velocidrone. Flying high no real problem but then I went lower and so off to DJI it goes. $182.00 dollars later it is on its way back. Lesson learned. I will ease into this now. I have a smaller practice drone on the way and trying to wear out Velocidrone.:)

I know everyone disses the dji Virtual fly app , but other Sims were way too varied in an attempt to please everyone and cover the thousands of quad types. Although the dji sim is limited and basic, the one huge advantage i found is that it's very similar to the actual drone. After a total of 10 hours of flight and another 3 in the simulator, i was able today to do power loops, flips, barrel rolls, split s, half loops, and lots of random moves with the drone itself, and it's still in one piece. What made me go for it was how it felt just like in the sim. Just do 1 session feeling how floaty it actually is, then do the manoeuvres at the floatiest part, just like in the sim. Great Sims are for pros, DJI s is perfect for its fpv.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya