Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Lightweight Avata?

Scro

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new here so hopefully this is the right area for this question!

Has anyone had a go at making the DJI Avata lighter, eg by removing the prop guards? Ultimately what I'd be looking to achieve is to get the quad under 250g AUW, but I suspect it would be extremely ambitious to shed 160g of weight just from the airframe. Still, I'm curious as to how much weight could be removed by removing excess weight and swapping airframe parts for lighter versions (eg rebuild the hardware onto a light CF frame).

Hello all! I'm new here so hopefully this is the right area for this question!

Has anyone had a go at making the DJI Avata lighter, eg by removing the prop guards? Ultimately what I'd be looking to achieve is to get the quad under 250g AUW, but I suspect it would be extremely ambitious to shed 160g of weight just from the airframe. Still, I'm curious as to how much weight could be removed by removing excess weight and swapping airframe parts for lighter versions (eg rebuild the hardware onto a light CF frame).
My understanding, from @Kilrah , is the Avata is a ducted fan design. That's the reason for the really high motor speeds seen on the Avata. Be interesting to see what happens without the duct.

Reactions: Scro
Indeed the Avata is kind-of a ducted fan design, though the ducts could do with being a bit longer to really be effective. My very unscientific guess is the extra weight of the propguard/ducts mostly cancels out any gain from the ducting effect they provide. Small FPV quads tend to have very high motor speeds - 40000rpm isn't unheard of, which is nearly an order of magnitude faster than bigger mavic style drones.

Reactions: BudWalker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18