Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Motors Dead

RandallEdick

Reaction score
New build, so motors never overloaded and are new. Motors 1 and 4 do not rotate , with 4th showing and E of 100% in Betaflight. I assume E is the error rate. Don't see anything wrong with the ECS, like burn marks. The connections in upper left and lower right are the ones failing. Soldering looks like it should connect. At least no bridge. BLHeliSuite doesn't see the motors either. Motors-ECS.jpgMotorsNotWorking.png

Last edited:
While the motors are turning in Betaflight, using a multimeter I saw there was zero volts to all the connections for motor 4. Interestingly motor 1 had the same voltage as the motors that were working.

I resoldered motor #4 with the zero voltage, and weirdly motor #1 started working. #4 still has E 100%. I realize myu soldering isn't the best, but it's good enough right? Maybe I just have a tricoptor. :)

I resoldered motor #4 with the zero voltage, and weirdly motor #1 started working. #4 still has E 100%. I realize myu soldering isn't the best, but it's good enough right? Maybe I just have a tricoptor. :)
Hey...don't know the answer, but ask your question on FB group FPV Builders
Ask to have a mentor, and one of the experts will work one on one with you to solve your specific problem

Hey...don't know the answer, but ask your question on FB group FPV Builders
Ask to have a mentor, and one of the experts will work one on one with you to solve your specific problem
I'll try but I'm pretty sure there's a bad pad on the ECS, and I'll have to replace it. It's not a failure, I successfully built a tricopter.

Most of the soldering is pretty good but there is too much solder on some pads. The temperature on no.3 is 44C which is warmer than it should be. Do you know how it is getting that reading? Are you able to check the amp draw, even by how much a smoke stopper (one that uses a bulb) is lighting up. If it is drawing current but not spinning then the wiring needs to be fixed. If it is jittering back and forth you have one mis/disconnected motor wire.

Attachments

• IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Most of the soldering is pretty good but there is too much solder on some pads. The temperature on no.3 is 44C which is warmer than it should be. Do you know how it is getting that reading? Are you able to check the amp draw, even by how much a smoke stopper (one that uses a bulb) is lighting up. If it is drawing current but not spinning then the wiring needs to be fixed. If it is jittering back and forth you have one mis/disconnected motor wire.
Thanks Fast and Curious. I know the voltage at the 3 wires of the dead motor shows zero volts which I guess means no current. Could one motor not drawing cause the temps of others to increase? I'll swap the motors and see perhaps its a bad motor, but they're all new. How often do you see new defective parts?

Swap the motors, problem persists on #4. Smoke stopper says No short. Is there any way to determine if the problem is with the ECS or the FC? Which is more likely?

It is pretty unlikely that those parts are defective but it depends on how confident you are in the quality and where you got it from. It's worth checking that your fc is sending a signal on a protocol the ESC supports. If it is working on anything other than Dshot you should calibrate the ESC.

Reactions: RandallEdick
Also the wrong voltage could stop it from working, double check the wiring or plug from the fc to esc even if it came with a plug ready to use.

I'm not positive... but if you plug your quad into your computer and connect it to Blheli Suite... if it can read all 4 ESC's, I would believe that the ESC isn't the problem.

Reactions: RandallEdick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax