Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New to Drones, Looking for Kit Suggestions

Gyarados

Reaction score
Hi All.

I stumbled upon this forum looking for some advice on building a first drone. I have a few questions that hopefully someone here can help me with. I hope I am posting in the correct area.

First and foremost my budget is around $300 CAD. My ultimate goal would be for something that is upgrade-able. By that I mean something that will allow me to upgrade at the component level as my skill level increases, if that makes sense.

With that said, I am looking at something in and around this:

Eachine Racer 250 FPV Drone Built in 5.8G Transmitter OSD With HD Camera ARF Version

I am still looking at flight sticks (not sure if that is proper name lol) that would work well with this, so any suggestions would be great.

The other option would be to part it out and assemble myself. I am completely comfortable doing this as I have worked with electronics, soldering etc. in the past. I have not looked at this extensively but I am wondering for the same price as the kit posted above, could I build a better drone (faster, better quality etc) if I were to go this route?

Thanks again for any help!

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
I too am new to FPV racing and was looking at the eachine 250. I am planning on binding it to a Spektrum Dx7s. It will be nice to read what others think about the e250 as a low cost intro unit.

Thanks everyone.

Hi, would be better to build yourself. More rewarding and specs to your likeing. I watched a review by Rotor Riot and the eachine arms seem to brake easily. Rcmodelreviews on YouTube has a great low budget ZMR build which could be worth looking at. You could change the frame if you didn't like the ZMR one. Good luck!

Hi All.

I stumbled upon this forum looking for some advice on building a first drone. I have a few questions that hopefully someone here can help me with. I hope I am posting in the correct area.

First and foremost my budget is around $300 CAD. My ultimate goal would be for something that is upgrade-able. By that I mean something that will allow me to upgrade at the component level as my skill level increases, if that makes sense.

Eachine Racer 250 FPV Drone Built in 5.8G Transmitter OSD With HD Camera ARF Version

I am still looking at flight sticks (not sure if that is proper name lol) that would work well with this, so any suggestions would be great.

The other option would be to part it out and assemble myself. I am completely comfortable doing this as I have worked with electronics, soldering etc. in the past. I have not looked at this extensively but I am wondering for the same price as the kit posted above, could I build a better drone (faster, better quality etc) if I were to go this route?

That is a hard price to beat, even building it yourself. I built a speed addict and it cost me around 6 hundos. Of course I am using all the best goodies!

I wouldn't recommend jumping into this by building one. Running can be pretty complicated when you have no idea what your doing. Changing one thing often means changing two or three things somewhere else. I'd save a bit more and get something like a vortex 250 pro or a Vendetta. They are good quads to start with. Rotor riot did a comparison if you want to check them out. I have a vortex 250 pro and I'm in love with it. They also just released a 150 model which is cheaper and faster.

As far as a tx the taranis x9 plus is a cheap open source tx that is widely used by pro fliers. It's a little more complicated compared to spektrum tx's but offers way more for the price. Also the signal range for frsky is said to be better than spektrum.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to all the new members in this thread :)
Carry on :cool:

Hi All.

KennyQuad gives some good advice.
Eachine and any other "Ready to fly =RTF - usuall have built in power distribution and LED lights s etc,. - crash and usually the arms can be the first to break - they can also rip out the root - ie a bit of frame or the motor mounting holes. Spares can ne hard to get or none existant. Thge sellers want your money not a cheap solution repair for you.

racers com ein all sizes - but 250 seems a good starting place. My suggestion is learn to build - because as a novice with a really fast racer - you WILL crash and thing get broken - so you will needt to repair them yourself.
YouTube is the greatest repository for any and vertually all the help andvice and information your will need to gather parts, build and tune your model.
RCModelReviews, painless360, Flite test and many other have a wealth or knowledge, experience and skills that will help you.

I suggest you work in stages..first forget about FPV - dont even buy and install it on your first build. Learn to fly it manually and line of site. you will need lots of practice to do this before you advance onto FPV. Obviously it depends on how adaptive you are and how you soak up information.
You will also need to learn some basics of Electronics.

A great thing about the quad, drone, multi rotor ( I do wish we could settle on a definitive name for our sport/pastime/hobby ?) ) is that whatever your problems - somebody as already had it and come up with a solution - all you need do is ask.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax