Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Vision Rx in Goggles... not for near sighted

dougcjohn

Reaction score
I was fussing with my glasses inside the DJI Goggles. I normally wear an extremely light wireless frame, I'm "near" sighted and need glasses for "far" sight. The goggle foam (3rd party) would play havoc in removing or placing goggles... and any angling of lens inside would give goggle screen a slight distortion. I have a pair of stronger frame glasses, smaller lenses that I normally try to remember to wear for FPV flights.

Then dumbfoundedly realized I didn't need glasses inside the goggles for far sighted vision since looking at a screen in ft of eyes... one distance & focal plane for near & far sighted vision.
May need for near vision or cheaters for close up near sighted correction, but not if you wear glasses for Far Sightedness. I could probably wear 1step Cheaters with my aging eyes, but no glasses works great.

Just hadn't thought of the single focal plane of the Goggle Screen before, thought maybe others hadn't too and wearing glasses for no reason.

I was fussing with my glasses inside the DJI Goggles. I normally wear an extremely light wireless frame, I'm "near" sighted and need glasses for "far" sight. The goggle foam (3rd party) would play havoc in removing or placing goggles... and any angling of lens inside would give goggle screen a slight distortion. I have a pair of stronger frame glasses, smaller lenses that I normally try to remember to wear for FPV flights.

Then dumbfoundedly realized I didn't need glasses inside the goggles for far sighted vision since looking at a screen in ft of eyes... one distance & focal plane for near & far sighted vision.
May need for near vision or cheaters for close up near sighted correction, but not if you wear glasses for Far Sightedness. I could probably wear 1step Cheaters with my aging eyes, but no glasses works great.

Just hadn't thought of the single focal plane of the Goggle Screen before, thought maybe others hadn't too and wearing glasses for no reason.
I have a number of bifocal wrap around safety glasses. I grnerly wear them all the time as my regular bifocal glasses are useless. I’ve backed up a bit as I don’t know just what the real picture is in fpv goggles. My not need corrective glasses as the effective screen is pretty close. From looking at videos I just don’t know until I try them out . A video game or simulator I can see ok but increasing ly my vision is not v cnc Lear. I actually have double vision so just typing here is very difficult . Hensecoccasionally errors. In deals with other it it turns out to be not corrrctable by mechanical means IE glasses ivevtried micro scope and binoculars and it seems if I block one eye out it clears but it’s very uncomfortable. So I may be just out of business. If you have correctivesble vision it should be possible to either wear corrective glasses or fine tune the goggles . I just don’t know. Your brain connection is what controls this a stroke as I’ve had messes this up internal eye problems cataracts etc are. I able but once the brain is damaged you are out of business, it’s part of aging. Not fun at all when you you can’t do what you used to do.

Byron

Reactions: dougcjohn
I have a number of bifocal wrap around safety glasses. I grnerly wear them all the time as my regular bifocal glasses are useless. I’ve backed up a bit as I don’t know just what the real picture is in fpv goggles. My not need corrective glasses as the effective screen is pretty close. From looking at videos I just don’t know until I try them out . A video game or simulator I can see ok but increasing ly my vision is not v cnc Lear. I actually have double vision so just typing here is very difficult . Hensecoccasionally errors. In deals with other it it turns out to be not corrrctable by mechanical means IE glasses ivevtried micro scope and binoculars and it seems if I block one eye out it clears but it’s very uncomfortable. So I may be just out of business. If you have correctivesble vision it should be possible to either wear corrective glasses or fine tune the goggles . I just don’t know. Your brain connection is what controls this a stroke as I’ve had messes this up internal eye problems cataracts etc are. I able but once the brain is damaged you are out of business, it’s part of aging. Not fun at all when you you can’t do what you used to do.

Byron
You've definitely had your share of eye issues, and glad to hear you continue to enjoy the flying & FPV. The eye patch sounds like it works to help, although that has it's disadvantages too understandable.

I'm mid-60's... a ways behind you. I've actually been impressed, my vision has improved... less Rx in lenses. My need for Bifocal continues but the screen appears to be a distance that works.

Interestingly, without glasses on... I discovered the Goggle "optical adjustors" are opposite to what I assumed. Appears the Left clears the far Rt edge and the Right clears the far Lf edge on screen. That also helped provide a improved clarity & sharpness for me.

Best of luck with your vision and flying.

You've definitely had your share of eye issues, and glad to hear you continue to enjoy the flying & FPV. The eye patch sounds like it works to help, although that has it's disadvantages too understandable.

I'm mid-60's... a ways behind you. I've actually been impressed, my vision has improved... less Rx in lenses. My need for Bifocal continues but the screen appears to be a distance that works.

Interestingly, without glasses on... I discovered the Goggle "optical adjustors" are opposite to what I assumed. Appears the Left clears the far Rt edge and the Right clears the far Lf edge on screen. That also helped provide a improved clarity & sharpness for me.

Best of luck with your vision and flying.
Have you seen the essential Rc fpv with the inflight telemetry dad bird or cockpit display. It’s pretty impressive. I’ve chased all the links to DJI snd searched for other mfg. essential has the current strangle hold on the cockpit display but I think there are other emerging mfg that plan on using your phone for the plane or airborn display I’m not to excited about putting an over priced $800 phone in the aircraft. I’m not sure insurance would cover it if there was a serious crash. Or flyaway. I did collect on an iPad that got run over by my one ton dialysis truck but that was some time ago and was under a limited warranted. It was a classic, don’t leave your electronics under vehicles I thought only others did this one . I like the cock pit display. I’m not into long distance flying but having a compas and direction finder would be cool the altitude and speed would be nice too. If you watch the flite test company site they do a lot of fpv flying and special effects. They have used the head tracker system extensively too and often use it in their videos. My grand son does wild cars and trucks his dad my son has a couple of planes that would be suitable too their shop is just across the road from a flying club field so hopefully I can get them more interested in fpv . My other son is building scale Warbird so I’m working on him to try fpv too he already has a couple smaller planes to practice with and a nice spectrum radio. I actually still have my old JR radio but it’s not worth converting to 2.4 or anything else. In the essential site somewhere they noted range up to 10 miles. That might require ham license and not realy be legal either my late son wanted to do long distance stuff but I was dead set against it technology and legality to name a couple teasons. Recently I was going through som of his estate things and found s box of telemetry stuff including if a high power radio transmitter and what appears to be a very small camera similar to what I see on the fpv sites he had talked about properties of various frequencies. I’m not sure without exploring the book on what this thing is but it does seem to have serious power and multiple antennas. Probably out of date now. The radio he had disappeared shortly after he passed away. We don’t have any idea who had access to it or even knew about it other than he had purchased it. So question marks. If we can put a plane together over the winter I may get a chance to see if I can still fly. Fpv would give me a chance at least I think . I’m going to try a small Rc car in my home as a cat toy maybe a bit larger snd I could try it with fpv . That might be fun in the house. I could sit here in my chair and intertwine my kitty WHILE HAVING FUN MYSELF LOL I trained dogs for a long time and have given though you maybe adding some kind of controller on a dog. Actually some K 9 dogs do have cameras on them just as officers do . My German shepherd was a certified K 9 dog and would have be a perfect test for such devices. It could bring a whole new way of training. Anyway thanks for reading old guys dreams. LOL

BURON

I was fussing with my glasses inside the DJI Goggles. I normally wear an extremely light wireless frame, I'm "near" sighted and need glasses for "far" sight.
I used to be near sighted when I was younger but now I can't focus at any distance without corrective lenses and I have to wear Trifocals. I was happy to find that my normal distance vision section of the lens focused perfectly with the DJI goggles V2. So I had some distance vision glasses made. Plastic medium sized frames that fit close to my face with thin lenses. The nose piece of wire frames seem to push the lenses to far out and interferes with goggle fit. I was able to get by with smaller lenses because the field of view in the goggles is not very wide anyway.

I used to be near sighted when I was younger but now I can't focus at any distance without corrective lenses and I have to wear Trifocals. I was happy to find that my normal distance vision section of the lens focused perfectly with the DJI goggles V2. So I had some distance vision glasses made. Plastic medium sized frames that fit close to my face with thin lenses. The nose piece of wire frames seem to push the lenses to far out and interferes with goggle fit. I was able to get by with smaller lenses because the field of view in the goggles is not very wide anyway.
I wear wrap around safety bi focal glasses all day now they fit quite close and I like them for my daily walks ax the wind doesn’t get in them I also have dark ones for sunny days snd if there is welding going on in the shop. I get them fro mc meter cart. Amazon has some too that I might try this time as they had 3x power since my sight seems to be getting worse . I’m hoping to test some fpv goggle before I purchase . There is a large hobby shop way across town but it’s hard for me to get there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obistevekenobi