Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Audience Mode Quality

Yes we got that, but I was just informing you that your post is all about the Air unit while we are discussing the DJI FPV drone which is a bit different.
Forgive me for asking an obvious question, but do you have your phone on your person- both primary and secondary users? Have you tried placing them in "Airplane Mode" just to see if there's an improvement?

I'm also curious how far apart the two parties are? Too close can be a problem as well as too far. Just some thoughts.

Forgive me for asking an obvious question, but do you have your phone on your person- both primary and secondary users? Have you tried placing them in "Airplane Mode" just to see if there's an improvement?

I'm also curious how far apart the two parties are? Too close can be a problem as well as too far. Just some thoughts.
I've tried turning off the cell phone. Didn't seem to make any difference.

From @risgrigg 's observations with the Air Unit goggles I'm pursuing that theory that when the primary set's transmitter is at high power it is overwhelming the audience set's receiver front end. I haven't tried placing the audience set far from the primary set. Usually the distance is < 3meters. I'll try separating them 50 meters or so next time.

I'm assuming there is no link between the primary and audience set. If so there shouldn't be a problem with too much distance between the primary and audience sets.

I've tried turning off the cell phone. Didn't seem to make any difference.

From @risgrigg 's observations with the Air Unit goggles I'm pursuing that theory that when the primary set's transmitter is at high power it is overwhelming the audience set's receiver front end. I haven't tried placing the audience set far from the primary set. Usually the distance is < 3meters. I'll try separating them 50 meters or so next time.

I'm assuming there is no link between the primary and audience set. If so there shouldn't be a problem with too much distance between the primary and audience sets.
Good thinking. I was considering the idea that both parties were carrying potential signal interference in their pockets that would have varying degrees of issues depending on what they were doing. If you watch your phone, it periodically receives and sends data independent of any input from you.

Never seen interference from phones be an issue that way.

I also don't really believe the power thing for the FPV since I have 2 friends who have one and we've flown 2 together many times, and when one is landing next to you while you're far you get interference but it's identical to when you're getting too far/behind obstacles alone, the "focus mode" starting to degrade the edges or a complete cut. Audience mode looks nothing like it with corrupted frames.

What happens in audience mode DOES however look like what's been happening to the 2nd RX on all DJI stuff that allows for it all the way back to the Inspire 1/Lightbridge, so it really seems there's something they never could figure out.

I did 4 test flights yesterday. The audience mode set was placed on tables at varying distances from the primary set. Those distances were approximately 1) 15 meters, 2) 3 meters, 3) 1 meter, and 4) 10 meters. All 4 of these saw the pixelation problem when the FPV was at a particular location. There are obstacles along the path to this location - probably causing a signal strength reduction. Flights 1, 2 and 4 didn't have any other pixelation problems.

Flight 3, where the audience set was 1 meter from the primary set, had many other problem pixelation instances.

The foregoing supports the theory that the primary set transmitter interferes with the audience set receiver.

But, I can think of other possibilities.

1) It's the RC transmitter that interferes with the audience set receiver. Not sure how I can explore this possibility.

2) There is an environmental aspect. I'll try go to an alternate site to test further.

I did 4 test flights yesterday. The audience mode set was placed on tables at varying distances from the primary set. Those distances were approximately 1) 15 meters, 2) 3 meters, 3) 1 meter, and 4) 10 meters. All 4 of these saw the pixelation problem when the FPV was at a particular location. There are obstacles along the path to this location - probably causing a signal strength reduction. Flights 1, 2 and 4 didn't have any other pixelation problems.

Flight 3, where the audience set was 1 meter from the primary set, had many other problem pixelation instances.

The foregoing supports the theory that the primary set transmitter interferes with the audience set receiver.

But, I can think of other possibilities.

1) It's the RC transmitter that interferes with the audience set receiver. Not sure how I can explore this possibility.

2) There is an environmental aspect. I'll try go to an alternate site to test further.
Technically, you could fly the drone to a point the image pixelates and then set the controller down (or hand it to another person), walk away and see if things change.

Technically, you could fly the drone to a point the image pixelates and then set the controller down (or hand it to another person), walk away and see if things change.
Good idea. I might be able to try that tomorrow.

Hi Bud,
I'm interested to know if you ever managed to sort this?
I fly fpv quads using DJI v2 amd Vista but I'd like to buy a DJI fpv set up just to share the experience with people and would appreciate any advice before I start putting money into it.
I also wonder if the Googles 2 are better for audience mode.
Thanks,
Jake

Hi Bud,
I'm interested to know if you ever managed to sort this?
I fly fpv quads using DJI v2 amd Vista but I'd like to buy a DJI fpv set up just to share the experience with people and would appreciate any advice before I start putting money into it.
I also wonder if the Googles 2 are better for audience mode.
Thanks,
Jake
I came to the conclusion that not much can be done to fix the issue. The primary goggles can detect a bad packet and then direct the drone to re-send it. The Audience goggles can't do this.

I forgot where I saw someone claim that reducing the bandwidth between the drone and primary goggles improved the audience pixelation issue. But, I've not tested this.

Don't have any information about if Goggles 2 is better.

When I'm demonstrating the FPV or Avata I usually let the spectator wear the primary goggles. I don't come close enough to objects that the pixelation would be a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas