Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Can't take off for first flight!

Flying any drone without blade guards is risk to any person or creature. I waited until the guards came out to fly mine. They can do lot off damage as that photo shows. The FPV is powerful and about 2lbs you do not want to get hit or hit someone else.
I hope you're not flying with guards outside.

I mean this dead serious: If a pilot can not fly outdoors without risking harm to other people because of poor skill or judgement, they should not be flying.

Skill: Inexperienced pilot with drone flying toward them makes the classic mistake of rolling the wrong way, panics, slams in to tree, drone falls on someone.

Judgement: Flying low to get some b-party shots at the park, focused on the subject, don't notice the 17 year old running right at your drone, looking back to make "The Catch", jumps and sends the side of his head right into the spinning props of your drone.

Reactions: A.O.
The no.1 rule here in Sweden (besides the mandatory drone "drivers" license and no alcohol) is to never fly over, close to or around people or animals not paticipating in the flight/video recording.
So early bird 05.00 saturday or sunday makes 90% of the city fair game ?

The no.1 rule here in Sweden (besides the mandatory drone "drivers" license and no alcohol) is to never fly over, close to or around people or animals not paticipating in the flight/video recording.
So early bird 05.00 saturday or sunday makes 90% of the city fair game ?
in the EU thats only true if you have passed the A2 competency exam ...
if you only have the A1/A3, then with the DJI FPV Drone, you are only permitted to fly A3 - which stipulates outside of urban areas ( 150m)

sure, if you have A2 exam, then yeah, 50m from uninvolved people.

however, even that is scheduled to change, 2022 sees all drones (over 250g) without new C rating, move to legacy drone status, which can only fly in A3 category , so no urban areas :(

currently whilst DJI have murmed about possible retro C ratings - no commitment has been made by DJI, or the EU to allow it.

(basically all the above is the same in UK, except the CAA own the rules rather than EASA)

unfortunately, mid-term - if you want to fly in urban areas (that also, practically includes many parks/sports fields) , your going to need a sub 250g drone...and if we are really unlucky, they are going to need to be speed restricted - that seems to be pretty much where most countries are heading.

:(

all that said, there are some exemptions for flying clubs, so perhaps in urban areas - this will be a possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haggi
Sounding reckless to some, the relatively lax requirements for flying in the U.S. don't appear to be an issue... The vast majority of accidents and injuries are visited upon pilots themselves, not uninvolved third parties.

Based on the empirical evidence, the EU is over-regulated.

Reactions: A.O.
It scares me thinking what a drone with the power and rigid props – three opportunities to slice with each revolution, and many more RPM than their camera cousins – the FPV has.

Gonna be ugly when those injuries start coming in.
Hey rktman, it used to be uglier at times. Try starting a four stroke Saito 150 throwing an 18" wood prop with a chicken stick or electric starter by yourself and have it kick back on you, Hurts like a bear! Had it on a quarter scale clipped wing cub that i flew back in the late 90's.

Just got to be careful, happens with any prop job.

Reactions: okw
Based on the empirical evidence, the EU is over-regulated.
EU don't need a part 107 to post (monetized) on youtube ;) (EU doesn't differentitate commercial/private operation in open category)
EU also (currently) is not planning on remote id
... so in some areas, regulation is tighter, some its looser.

I actually think the EU (*) rules are generally fine - basically to fly over 250g, you just take a (free) online course/test.
most of which just points out the obvious.

the C classifications are a good idea in theory, the main issue is the standards still haven't been finalised, and so manufactures like DJI have still not been able to get any drones certified.... so thats pretty frustrating for drones coming this year.

for sure the A3 category is pretty restrictive in built up areas - hence why most are expecting a huge boom in sub 250g drones, that'll avoid this.

I also found out yesterday, that you can also take the A2 exam online as well, so its not really that hard.

over restrictive... Im not sure,
I do agree if your flying an Air2s (> 500g!) it feels overly protective.
but honestly, the DJI FPV, nah... its going to seriously hurt someone if someone gets it wrong.

lets remember, its not the enthusiasts and regular flyers we have to worry about... these hopefully have the skills.
rather, its the idiot that buys it in a shop, slams it into Sports mode and flies it over people assuming it can 'never fail' (**)

did you see the video of the guy who was flying the DJI FPV over a six flags amusement park in the US, flying over rides carry people, barely holding it together in manual mode... he thought it was funny - he only took it down, when he was told the FAA would likely fine him heavily.

... thats the problem, all us DJI FPV flyers were tainted... fpv-ers saying, we knew this would happen with the noobs, flying irresponsible - DJI flyers are going to destroy our hobby.

the underlying issue is... we only need ONE serious accident to make the headline (in any country), the fact it hasnt happened yet means nothing - as if/when it does the authorities will use it as an excuse to pretty much ban anything other than a toy - we'll be left to fly these only in restricted spaces by regulated clubs :(

so, id prefer a bit of over zealousness now, so that one idiot doesn't screw the entire hobby for us all.

(*) UK are identical at the moment ;)

(**) Its a pity the shops/manufactures dont need proof you have the A1/A3 certificate before you buy, since these idiots likely wont even know/care they need the certifcate.

I did both the A1/A3 and A2 exams (because why not) and the self-practical exersices even though I've hade the P2V+ for 7 years (I think).
But which C-class would the FPV drone be? I thought C2 before I reviewed the rules and regulations at our departementet of transportation, because A2 is limited to C0 - C2 drones. But it is requred of C2 to have remote id if not moored, which I guess the FPV lacks.
A3 is C1 to C4 drones and limited to 150m away from housing and industrial proporties.
Class C3 also need to have remote id if not moored/tethered (!?)
C4 is non autonomous "with the exception of assisted flight stabilization which has no direct impact on the flight path and assistance if the data link is broken" - no issue with the FPV.

Reactions: thetechnobear
as i understand it....

until june 2022, we are in a transition period, so drones are being judge pretty much by weight, hence dji fpv can be flown in A2 with A2 competency cert, or A3 (with a1/a3)

from June 2022,
any drone with C marking will become a legacy drone.
legacy drone < 250g, can fly in A1-A3, legacy drones > 250g only A3
(they wont gain a classification, rather are just assigned where they can fly in the open category)

the EU has stated they would allow retro-classificication

I asked DJI about this, and was told. (my emphasis ;) )
they are hoping to be able to provide a service where some drones can be returned to them for retro-classication, but at the time they were not able to comment which models this would be availabe for, or cost.

as yet there are NO C rated drones on the market, DJI told me (in March) that the whilst they were working with the EU on this - nothing was finalised, in particular the EU had not decided who would be responsible for the certification process - though DJI believed it would be TUV, and so were working with them on that basis.

so obviously the EU is behind thier plans, they were hoping this transition year, would see C rated drones released...
I guess the pandemic has not helped, energies focused elsewhere
but the question now is, will they extend the transition phase? I personally doubt they'll extend it, unless the 2022 still shows no C drones - which I guess is possible!?

we are also left with how much DJI are to really want to spend resources on retro classification... I fear not much.

which C rating would the DJI FPV get?
probably they'd aim for C2, but this will require them to add a 'low-speed mode', but I guess they could potentially just rename N mode to this ?!
though, its hard to say its design is 'minimised risk of injury to people' esp. given its hard props.

I suspect if it failed C2 requirements, they would re-design it, and bring out a v2 that would allow it to be C2.
Id assume DJI will aim to make all their consumer drones C0-C2 - simply to maximise potential market.

that said, I think DJI could add remote id fairly simply, so perhaps they could go to C3 - they may have to do this for other countries anyway.
(unclear if they could retro fit this)

the other side to this is DJI is working in most countries, so it knows what rules are coming in (e.g. in US) or likely , so presumably are planning for these too.

this is why the sub 250g market is seen as critical, and also why many think DJI are releasing 'spare parts drone' (minor revisions) to clear inventory for newer drones)

so its all still 'up in the air' (sic) , unfortunately - we know DJI love to release new product versions, so I suspect, they won't bother with retro-classification.
rather they will just use this as useful marketing for a new version of each drone - basically, upgrade your drone if you want to fly in less restrictive areas.

but yeah, I fear drones like the DJI FPV and Air 2s will not come out of this well if you are in an urban area :(

Reactions: CrocMonster
Like I said, over-regulated ? ? ? ? ????

Yo, @Phantomrain.org , one of my favorite people around here, would I be on the right track in assuming "indoors" is a bit more roomy for you guys compared to the average jaboney like me trying to fly in my living room? ;):cool::D

No , have you seen my videos, I live in a closet. lol

Speaking of Living Rooms: The Size of the drone really is not the issue , just getting the GPS lock and Home Point Recorded is key.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in the Rain .

... so TIL it's a down and inward motion to take off.... seriously i didn't read that anywhere,,, or i missed it.

So that works now and i'm embarrassed.
Appreciate the help,
how you turn off propeller in normal mode ?

See manual. Either hold throttle downor put the sticks in the bottom corners while on the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone