Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Flight Sim - Made me sick LOL

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I'm 51 years old.... love roller coasters, crazy rides, and flown some aerobatics in "manned" aircraft and I've never, even slightly, felt anything near Motion Sickness.

Thursday I downloaded the DJI FPV Flight Simulator and immediately got it up and running. All of a sudden I started sweating massively while also getting dizzy and as I tried to push through I started shivering and got nauseated. I removed the goggles and spent the next hour laid back with a cold washcloth on my head trying to not toss my cookies. WHEW what an experience.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've not had this happen actually flying with the goggles but there's something about the Flight Sim that really messed with me deeply.

Yes mate. The first thing i did when i got my kit home was to check the sim. Horrible experience just like you. Got super worried about how the real experience would work, but no issues and love flying my fpv.

Reactions: BigAl07
I think it has something to do with the refresh rate of the video.
I would suggest to drop the goggles and just use the monitor.
I won't use the goggles with the flight sim EVER again. Flying is great but the sim really gets me GREEN!
Yes mate. The first thing i did when i got my kit home was to check the sim. Horrible experience just like you. Got super worried about how the real experience would work, but no issues and love flying my fpv.
Same here. I experience nothing when actually flying the aircraft with the goggles but fire up the flight sim and I'm going to go GREEN in a few moments.

Reactions: harleydude
The sim gives me headakes and I can't fly the fpv as good as in real life. So I de-installed it.

I'm 51 years old.... love roller coasters, crazy rides, and flown some aerobatics in "manned" aircraft and I've never, even slightly, felt anything near Motion Sickness.

Thursday I downloaded the DJI FPV Flight Simulator and immediately got it up and running. All of a sudden I started sweating massively while also getting dizzy and as I tried to push through I started shivering and got nauseated. I removed the goggles and spent the next hour laid back with a cold washcloth on my head trying to not toss my cookies. WHEW what an experience.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've not had this happen actually flying with the goggles but there's something about the Flight Sim that really messed with me deeply.
I have not experienced this because I've never tried it. Thanx for the heads up!!....<;^)

D

Feel for ya, really do… but in a bit raw humor; like watching someone trip/fall like you did yourself (me) previously… gives ya a little chuckle. In a “Guy” sort of way… not negative. ;)

In Sim Sport mode; My first few times: eye aches, light headed and felt exhausted mentally. Did notice with 2 more sessions it improved… recently tried manual, the disoriented, dizzy eye strain returned coupled with frustration in the app & flights.

My attitude is if sim is worse than real… if able to get decent within sim & Goggles the acrobat mode should be a positive for real flight.

I found “tablet view“ to separate the FPV feeling, so kept trying the goggles.

Last edited:
For me I find the faster and harder I fly has a direct relation to the amount of motion sickness I feel.
So far I haven't had a large enough abundance of cash to go out and buy an apple device just to run the DJI simulator.
I have been using the Velocidrone simulator for a few years though. This I use for the purpose of increasing my skill flying drones that do not have a sophisticated stabilization system as DJI drones do. I fly in attitude mode and manual mode (called rate mode in the sim). I have also flown my DJI FPV in manual mode, no rolls or flips yet. I usually fly my simulator using a 24" monitor but earlier this year I hooked my old White DJI goggles up to it and definitely noticed more dizziness. It might have to do with the immersive effect of goggles I thought. The human sense of balance relies on a number of parts of our bodies ( I found this out during a period of vertigo which lasted several month that inspired me to research the topic ) for example the joints in our arms and legs surprisingly .
Visual cues also play a part in our sense of balance. When our visual cues don't correspond to what our inner ears are experiencing it results in a condition that we experience as motion sickness, vertigo, ect. Some people are barley affected others like myself are affected to a large degree. The good news is that repeated short exposures can build up your endurance so that longer sessions in the goggles are possible. I have gone from stopping my session with my DJI FPV after less than a full battery to a full 3 batteries.

Haven't felt sick but the DJI sim handles like trash so no point insisting with it anyway...

Sure. The thing is that the DJI sim has the advantage of being able to use the goggles and controller which would be great if only the sim itself was good...

Actually I have been able to hook up my DJI remote controller 2 to the velocidrone sim. I have the sticks only, for every other control feature I have to use the mouse. The hookup though is not straight forward. I found the lead on how to do it on this forum but I had to research a few sources including the microsoft website before I was able to put it all together.

Yes, I experienced it recently for the first time. Sucked!

I just got my DJI FPV today and haven't cracked the shrink-wrap yet, but I can share my experience with Oculus Quest which I believe causes motion sickness for the same reason as the flight simulator: your brain and your body are receiving different signals about how you're moving in space. Here's what I found helps and I expect it might help here too.

Initially limit your time with the goggles. Significant correlations exist between exposure time and VR sickness, with longer exposure times increasing risk of VR sickness. You can build up tolerance by practicing more frequently and for shorter times. Then slowly extend your time. This trains your brain and is called getting your "VR legs."

Also make sure your goggles are positioned properly on your head, because your brain has to work harder if it's harder to see.

Breath! Deep breathing can help.

Eat ginger beforehand - this may help.

Aim a fan at yourself.

Take dramamine (though you'll likely get sleepy)

And if it's legal for you, cannabis can really help, though I'm not sure I'd fly for real while stoned.

I'll have to report back here later - my first flight simulator session is coming up tonight! Can't wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax