Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV goggles v2 : a bit disapointed ...

dizzy33

Reaction score
Hello,

I received my DJI FPV Combo today. First flight with it. This is my first DJI drone, I was surprised by the quality of it, very well made and engineered.
But I was disapointed by the goggles : on the web, almost everyone was saying "very good immersion". But I disagree ...
First, in the goggles you can see the borders of the screen, I feel like I am in front of a TV. It's not the same immersion as a VR goggle for Android phones for exemple. This is the most disapointing for me ...
Second, the screen resolution is not really good. The picture is not very well detailed, for exemple, if you fly close to trees, you may not be able to see some of their branches if are not thick enough. Plus the border of the screen are a bit blurry, and I have some difficulties to read the flight informations (even after having tried to modify the lens positions).

I was pleased to be able to watch the drone video in direct, but I never felt like if I was flying myself. I just felt like if I was watching the video on a big smartphone screen ... Very disapointing for a drone of that price (I took the combo including the "fly more" kit, plus the "joystick", the total price is around 2000 €... ).

How do you feel about the immersion in the DJI FPV goggles ?
Have you ever tried any other FPV goggles to tell us how it was compared to the DJI ?

You've clearly never seen any other FPV system. This may not feel satisfactory to you but is 10x better than anything else on the market.
The standard is a dirty analog TV picture similar to TV 20 years ago, on a display that's a postage stamp in comparison.

Hello,

I received my DJI FPV Combo today. First flight with it. This is my first DJI drone, I was surprised by the quality of it, very well made and engineered.
But I was disapointed by the goggles : on the web, almost everyone was saying "very good immersion". But I disagree ...
First, in the goggles you can see the borders of the screen, I feel like I am in front of a TV. It's not the same immersion as a VR goggle for Android phones for exemple. This is the most disapointing for me ...
Second, the screen resolution is not really good. The picture is not very well detailed, for exemple, if you fly close to trees, you may not be able to see some of their branches if are not thick enough. Plus the border of the screen are a bit blurry, and I have some difficulties to read the flight informations (even after having tried to modify the lens positions).

I was pleased to be able to watch the drone video in direct, but I never felt like if I was flying myself. I just felt like if I was watching the video on a big smartphone screen ... Very disapointing for a drone of that price (I took the combo including the "fly more" kit, plus the "joystick", the total price is around 2000 €... ).

Have you ever tried any other FPV goggles to tell us how it was compared to the DJI ?
Did you change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9?

If not do that, that will help.

From reading all your post I see your not happy with this.
Sent it back if you can and get a refund or learn to deal
with it. At the moment it is what it is and most are very happy with it. Not being rude just saying.?‍👍

Hello,

I have found that the more you fly , the more Immersed you get and focused to where you wont notice any boarders as your flying gets more intense,

The reason why your sad , is that your expectations were not on Awareness of the Drone your flying but the Immersion or Illusion o flying, and if you want you can laser focus on that.

Most of us need the all the Information being shown on the screen and to be aware of that . So getting so immersed into the Illusion of just flying would not make us as aware of the Instruments we need to fly safely.

At the end of the day its about being a Pilot that is Aware of not just your surroundings but the Information needed to be a good pilot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you DJI FPV in the Rain .

I was not talking of the fact that there are informations displayed. I was talking about the fact that the screen is too small in the goggle, I thought you would not see the borders, at least on the horizontal side. I try to guess if there is better than that today on the drone market. If its the best immersion possible, then I will have to deal with it ...
Apart from this "issue", I love this drone : very stable, very easy to pilot. It goes very fast and gives me a lot of sensations, which is what I was searching for. I don't really care about the quality of the recorded video, but I thought the video quality in the goggles would be better than what it is. The screen resolution is too low from my point of view, not enough detailed. But I understand there may be technical limitation due to the fact that a better video resolution would have (maybe) increase the latency.

It’s pretty much leading tech.
as you say. the limitations are largely in the transmission bandwidth, which means compromising latency and resolution.

how noticeable/immersive it is depends on your flying ... go fast and furious and you won’t notice these things, take it more leisurely and you might :)

This is my first FPV drone and its EXACTLY what I was looking for, once I get going ALL I see is whats I'm flying into, complete immersion for me, just like sitting in the cockpit ! But thats me, I see nothing but the outdoors.. Love it!

Reactions: FPV Flier
I understand his sentiment. He was expecting an oculus experience and instead got an image of a magnified flat square screen.

As far as opinions: the immersion is much like sticking your face right up to a television. Way to go forum veterans for being appalled he would dislike a DJI product.

Exactly ! I thought I would be "inside" the picture, like for any VR goggle. But instead, I feel like I am in front a TV screen. That's exactly my disapointment. And everyone, around me, who tested my goggles, were also disapointed. I do not understand why DJI did not make the screen "closer" from our eyes in the goggles, more "zoomed".
But as I am also disapointed by the screen resolution, it would be even worse if the screen was more zoomed...
I am pretty sure the screen resolution and zoom will be increased in futures releases of the DJI FPV (the screen resolution was already increased from FPV goggles version 1 to version 2, but not enough for me, I think 1080p for each eye would be really better).
Anyway, for now, as DJI is the best immersion experience, I'll keep it. I love this drone, love to fly with it.

Exactly ! I thought I would be "inside" the picture, like for any VR goggle. But instead, I feel like I am in front a TV screen. That's exactly my disapointment. And everyone, around me, who tested my goggles, were also disapointed. I do not understand why DJI did not make the screen "closer" from our eyes in the goggles, more "zoomed".
But as I am also disapointed by the screen resolution, it would be even worse if the screen was more zoomed...
I am pretty sure the screen resolution and zoom will be increased in futures releases of the DJI FPV (the screen resolution was already increased from FPV goggles version 1 to version 2, but not enough for me, I think 1080p for each eye would be really better).
Anyway, for now, as DJI is the best immersion experience, I'll keep it. I love this drone, love to fly with it.

My first thought with all of this isn't the headset, it's the fact that how are they going to get stereo separation without a stereoscopic camera?

My first thought with all of this isn't the headset, it's the fact that how are they going to get stereo separation without a stereoscopic camera?
This sort of statement is what gets the veterans all upset and lecturing about ignorance of the hobby and the current technology.

And they're right.

While no doubt some individuals have tried making a drone with dual camera, dual transmission system, and basically re-engineering a set of goggles to display separate images, the tradeoff in complexity, weight, and cost isn't even close for the marginal benefit under limited circumstances.

Last edited:
Don't get the first statement, feels like a backhand and then a kiss but I'll roll with it

Personally, I don't blame anyone who is disappointed when trying the FPV goggles. The hobby is seeing a flood of interest now and the only comparison available is the PC/Console VR industry.

VR headsets are well within the V2 range, but a camera and processing system capable of driving the headset-- I don't recall ever even *seeing* a stereoscopic camera for sale-- I'd imagine they're hard to calibrate and priced in the thousands of USD to start.

Don't get the first statement, feels like a backhand and then a kiss but I'll roll with it

Personally, I don't blame anyone who is disappointed when trying the FPV goggles. The hobby is seeing a flood of interest now and the only comparison available is the PC/Console VR industry.

VR headsets are well within the V2 range, but a camera and processing system capable of driving the headset-- I don't recall ever even *seeing* a stereoscopic camera for sale-- I'd imagine they're hard to calibrate and priced in the thousands of USD to start.
What you're missing is an understanding of the challenge that a fast moving transmitter, wildly varying in range, signal multipath and interference, and a ton of other problems with the signal that place severe limitations on the fidelity of the image that can be returned.

Has little to do with the camera, or the goggles.

Reactions: Madhungarian
What you're missing is an understanding of the challenge that a fast moving transmitter, wildly varying in range, signal multipath and interference, and a ton of other problems with the signal that place severe limitations on the fidelity of the image that can be returned.

Also to mention having to follow FCC rules and regulations. :)

The datarate over the air is already possible so it has everything to do with the goggles and camera.

Being sick of someone's so-called naive questions after being a "veteran" is just dressed up elitism. He has a right to his opinion and to be disappointed.

of course, the OP has the right to be disappointed....
however, it does also come down to expectations
and that is very much about knowing what is possible with the available technology on the market... just because you have a vr experience with a direct connection to a computer does not mean that is where the tech is in the fpv market

The datarate over the air is already possible so it has everything to do with the goggles and camera.

so which set of fpv google and camera, on the fpv market, do you think exceeds the dji goggles?
would they have provided the experience the OP was after? or were their expecations perhaps unrealistic?

its easy as a consumer to say what they think should be delivered, but its a very different thing actually be able to engineer that solution, and also to do it a price that the market will bear.

I do agree that there is a certain amount of marketing hype on the videos, but we all know that is what marketing does... you cannot 'trust' marketing images in any industry ;)

Reactions: FPV Flier and okw
Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Saying it to this Electrical Engineer doesn't make it so. It only makes me roll my eyes.

of course, the OP has the right to be disappointed....
however, it does also come down to expectations
and that is very much about knowing what is possible with the available technology on the market... just because you have a vr experience with a direct connection to a computer does not mean that is where the tech is in the fpv market

so which set of fpv google and camera, on the fpv market, do you think exceeds the dji goggles?
would they have provided the experience the OP was after? or were their expecations perhaps unrealistic?

its easy as a consumer to say what they think should be delivered, but its a very different thing actually be able to engineer that solution, and also to do it a price that the market will bear.

I do agree that there is a certain amount of marketing hype on the videos, but we all know that is what marketing does... you cannot 'trust' marketing images in any industry ;)
I wonder if anyone has been able to feed a DJI airunit type digital signal into an actual VR headset ? Are there digital receivers that provide HDMI out ?

You don't really need a stereoscopic image for flying, that only does anything within about ten feet. What you need is a wider FOV which an actual VR headset would provide.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax