Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Video Quality Problems With Second Goggles

Chaosrider@brilliantfrogs

Reaction score
I think I may have finally found the right place to ask this question!

I'm going to be getting the DJI PFV Combo as soon as I can scrape up the money. Longer term, however, I'll be getting a separate set of goggles, both to give "rides", and to facilitate giving dual instruction with the FPV.

I've seen a number comments in other threads about the video quality in the second set of goggles being significantly degraded, pixilation, poor resolution, that kind of thing.

I would be very interested in hearing from people who've used a second set of goggles with the DJI FPV system. Is the 2nd goggle video issue a big problem, a minor annoyance, or not much of a problem at all?

Thx!

TCS

Still looking for an answer. There seems to be an abundance of anecdotes, and a paucity of quantitative data on this issue.

No response yet from DJI. I very much want to get the DJI FPV Combo, but I'm not going to do it until I understand this issue a fair amount better than i do now.

TCS

Still looking for an answer. There seems to be an abundance of anecdotes, and a paucity of quantitative data on this issue.

No response yet from DJI. I very much want to get the DJI FPV Combo, but I'm not going to do it until I understand this issue a fair amount better than i do now.

TCS
I'm not sure I understand what info you're after. You're right the information I provided is qualitative - higher gain antennas reduces pixelation. A more quantitative assessment would involve things like degree of pixelation, path losses, bandwidth required for a particular image etc. Sounds really complicated and difficult to obtain. Would it help all that much?

A recording from both the master and audience goggles side by side might be enough for him... Don't remember if audience can also record though.

Reactions: BudWalker
A recording from both the master and audience goggles side by side might be enough for him... Don't remember if audience can also record though.
I'm having a hard time (obviously) describing what I'm looking for.

I've seen a couple of side-by-sides that definitely show a problem.

What I'm trying to figure out is, how common is the problem? Out of 100 dual-goggle flights, how many have bad audience goggle quality problems? 20/100? 90/100? I don't need any precision in the data but that's the kind of information that I'm looking for. If it's a rare occurance...in the 20/100 range...I'll be content to ignore it, and get my new DJI FPV Combo.

But if it's common...more than 50/100...then more questions arise. Is DJI working on a fix? Are there any very effective user-mod work arounds? Is it something that could be fixed with a firmware mod, or will different hardware be required?

If it requires a hardware change to fix, I'm not going to get a new one, but I might then get a used one, if I can find a good price.

Does that help at all?

Thx!

TCS

I'm having a hard time (obviously) describing what I'm looking for.

I've seen a couple of side-by-sides that definitely show a problem.

What I'm trying to figure out is, how common is the problem? Out of 100 dual-goggle flights, how many have bad audience goggle quality problems? 20/100? 90/100? I don't need any precision in the data but that's the kind of information that I'm looking for. If it's a rare occurance...in the 20/100 range...I'll be content to ignore it, and get my new DJI FPV Combo.

But if it's common...more than 50/100...then more questions arise. Is DJI working on a fix? Are there any very effective user-mod work arounds? Is it something that could be fixed with a firmware mod, or will different hardware be required?

If it requires a hardware change to fix, I'm not going to get a new one, but I might then get a used one, if I can find a good price.

Does that help at all?

Thx!

TCS
For my FPV operating in dual-goggle mode I've found that there is always pixelation for certain locations. Those locations are where I'd expect the link bandwidth to be challenged; e.g. LOS is lost because of a small hill. Occasionally, pixelation happens at other locations. I'd guess this happens when a goggle orientation reduces signal strength.

But, that's just my FPV, goggles and locations. Other pilots may have different results. However, I doubt that.

Is DJI working on a fix? Are there any very effective user-mod work arounds? Is it something that could be fixed with a firmware mod, or will different hardware be required?

I doubt DJI is working on a fix. AFAIK the only "work around" is higher gain antennas but that just lessens the problem.

Coming from several years using several DJI products and, IMHO, I've concluded this problem is not going to be fixed.

I've been trying to convince my video editing software to make a split screen. Ought to be easy...

For my FPV operating in dual-goggle mode I've found that there is always pixelation for certain locations. Those locations are where I'd expect the link bandwidth to be challenged; e.g. LOS is lost because of a small hill. Occasionally, pixelation happens at other locations. I'd guess this happens when a goggle orientation reduces signal strength.
This is helpful!

I get pixilation sometimes with my Mini-2s, when I fly them out to where the control signal starts to fall off, and in some lighting/terrain conditions. If it's no worse than that, then I'm completely willing to cheerfully ignore the problem!

So if you're flying hard VLOS, with no obstructions, out to no more than 1000ft, with good lighting, and varied terrain, do you see the video quality degradation problem in the second goggles?
I doubt DJI is working on a fix. AFAIK the only "work around" is higher gain antennas but that just lessens the problem.

Coming from several years using several DJI products and, IMHO, I've concluded this problem is not going to be fixed.
Why do you say that?

I'm using "fix" a bit broadly here. In this context, a follow-on FPV version, the FPV V2 or whatever, with improved hardware for this purpose, would count as a fix.

I have a hard time believing that DJI is going to abandon the concept of high quality video in secondary goggles. Are you suggesting that, or...?

A follow-on version, with hardware that's incompatible with the current DJI FPV system, would count as a fix. I'm just trying to determine if that's the case.

Thx!

TCS

Why do you say that?

I'm using "fix" a bit broadly here. In this context, a follow-on FPV version, the FPV V2 or whatever, with improved hardware for this purpose, would count as a fix.

I have a hard time believing that DJI is going to abandon the concept of high quality video in secondary goggles. Are you suggesting that, or...?
As I mentioned on the other forum DJI things that allow for secondary receivers have had similar issues for 7 years now, if they considered it important it would have been fixed long ago.

IMO unless there is some major event/team/group of people who have a real need for that and broad reach that justifies them putting the effort into what's otherwise likely only used by a handful of people chances of it being improved are low. One can dream though...

As I mentioned on the other forum DJI things that allow for secondary receivers have had similar issues for 7 years now, if they considered it important it would have been fixed long ago.

IMO unless there is some major event/team/group of people who have a real need for that and broad reach that justifies them putting the effort into what's otherwise likely only used by a handful of people chances of it being improved are low. One can dream though...
Oh, I *excel* at that!

:cool:

Thx,

TCS

This is helpful!

I get pixilation sometimes with my Mini-2s, when I fly them out to where the control signal starts to fall off, and in some lighting/terrain conditions. If it's no worse than that, then I'm completely willing to cheerfully ignore the problem!

So if you're flying hard VLOS, with no obstructions, out to no more than 1000ft, with good lighting, and varied terrain, do you see the video quality degradation problem in the second goggles?

Why do you say that?

A follow-on version, with hardware that's incompatible with the current DJI FPV system, would count as a fix. I'm just trying to determine if that's the case.

Thx!

TCS
Here is a side-by-side video with the Audience goggles on the left and Primary goggles on the right.
The maximum distance for this flight was about 1500 feet. The pixelation was worse than usual - occurred in more locations than usual. If you manage to watch the entire clip you will notice some pixelation at the very end when the distance was about 70 feet.

The high gain antennas were installed for this flight. Without them the pixelation would have been worse.

Have you considered not using Audience goggles? Instead use a mobile device connected to the Primary goggles and running the Fly App. Select the camera view which will be a mirror image of what is seen in the goggles. I.e. shouldn't be any pixelation problems.

Last edited:
Here is a side-by-side video with the Audience goggles on the left and Primary goggles on the right.
The maximum distance for this flight was about 1500 feet. The pixelation was worse than usual - occurred in more locations than usual. If you manage to watch the entire clip you will notice some pixelation at the very end when the distance was about 70 feet.

The high gain antennas were installed for this flight. Without them the pixelation would have been worse.

Have you considered not using Audience goggles? Instead use a mobile device connected to the Primary goggles and running the Fly App. Select the camera view which will be a mirror image of what is seen in the goggles. I.e. shouldn't be any pixelation problems.
OK, that was helpful. It took me a bit to adapt to audience on the left and primary on the right, because I would have reversed those positions.

The problem seems to be the worst when flying over flat/featureless terrain, with poorly defined surfaces. That's not even available where I usually fly!

Still, it's not right.

Thx,

TCS

To answer your question , providing the immersive experience to the audience is sort of the point.

Now, if I could project it onto a big screen inside the house, while I'm flying outside the house, that might be helpful. So far I haven't been able to find a clean, reliable way to do that.

Thx,

TCS

Now, if I could project it onto a big screen inside the house, while I'm flying outside the house, that might be helpful. So far I haven't been able to find a clean, reliable way to do that.

You can use WideFPV to access the video feed, but that requires a computer connected to the goggles via USB.

To answer your question , providing the immersive experience to the audience is sort of the point.

Thx,

TCS
I usually have my guest wear the primary goggles. You could do that and use the monitor to fly the FPV.

You can use WideFPV to access the video feed, but that requires a computer connected to the goggles via USB.
That might be OK. I have some pretty long USB cables!

The website was pretty skimpy when I just looked. No real description of how it works, or even a price, if there is one.

Have you used this?

Thx!

TCS

I usually have my guest wear the primary goggles. You could do that and use the monitor to fly the FPV.
Perhaps, but the experience I want to replicate is being in the cockpit of an airplane, with a student and instructor side-by-side. My vision for this has both student and instructor wearing the goggles.

Thx,

TCS

Quite doable, done it.

Connect goggles via USB C to your phone, run DJI Fly on phone and display video feed. Share phone screen wirelessly with big screen, voila!

A cheap, weak processor low RAM phone may struggle, but my Z Fold 2 handles it like a champ.

So, there is a viable solution. Goes like this:

FPV goggles v2 –> phone w/DJI Fly via USB C cable –> share phone screen over wifi –> HDMI wifi screen mirroring dongle –> VR goggles with HDMI input

Here's a dongle that will do the trick:

Less than $15 at Walmart. The VR goggles won't be cheap, but much less than a second set of DJI FPV v2 goggles.

Last edited:
I am considering getting a 2nd set of Goggles for audience mode use.... is the telemetry also displayed on the 2nd set in audience mode?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax