Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI or crossfire?

Midknight777

Reaction score
Going with a BNF dji setup, but what would be the best option to go with, dji remote, or crossfire?

Would like to know the reasons to choose either option, and if crossfire, what's the best highend remote that you would get?

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Personally, I would be (and I do) running with an open Tx transmitter that you can fit crossfire to. Given that I have quite a few quads with both Frsky and Crossfire setups, I only need the one Transmitter. I have an older Taranis QX7S and would definitely steer clear of the most recent Taranis QX7 (long story) and look at the Jumper T18 Pro which you can upspec to a crossfire module if you want to or maybe a Radiomaster TX16S which is also crossfire compatible in addition to running Frsky receivers.
The main reason for not going down the DJI Tx road is that I am stuck in that Air unit/Caddx Vista ecosystem and whilst the system is good, its an unnecessary expense and another piece of kit to carry around.
If you want to go full blown crossfire, maybe look at the TBS Tango 2 Pro Crossfire Tx but again, it only works with Crossfire fitted quads. Nice and functional piece of kit but your options are narrowed somewhat.

After watching many reviews, I think the radiomaster sounds like the best one.

I am really liking mine a lot. I was wanting an X9D Plus but the TX16S is way better. The latest ones are coming out with a speaker mod and a couple of other upgrades.

Drone Cosmo has them for $149 plus they are throwing in the Radiomaster 5000mAh Li-ion battery pack that usually sells for around $25 to $30.

Definitely TBS crossfire or Tracer. The challenge with the current DJI FPV radio is that it costs $400 but it's not worth anywhere near that. There are many excellent radios for half that with crossfire like others have mentioned. The Radiomaster is my daily driver these days and it's great. I also have the Tango 2 for when I'm packing light, but I prefer the ergos of the Radiomaster. The DJI radio is bulky, heavy and lacks a screen and the flexibility offered by an OpenTX alternative. Despite these concerns, the main issue with the DJI radio is the range. Don't get me wrong, the range is great. That's not the issue. The problem for me is that the video link and the control llink have the same range. In open spaces, you can expect 4-6kms but in areas with multi-pathing or high interference, you may start to drop video quality much closer and the control link also can fail at the same time. It's never a good thing to failsafe, especially when your video link starts to drop.

Going with TBS crossfire ensures your control link will always out run your video link, It becomes nearly impossible to failsafe and when your video quality drops, you always remain in control. My 2cents...

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Noob question. If I get a Radiomaster. Does it automatically work with a crossfire nano reciever? Or do I need to buy something else as well?

I believe you will need to get a crossfire module. The multi bands on the tx16s run at 2.4ghz and crossfire is 900mhz.

Reactions: ehellinger
Correct, well unless you buy the bundle that comes with a crossfire module that is, not sure if they still do it but they did at the beginning.

Reactions: ehellinger
When you buy a bnf digital quad and you select the crossfire receiver option, do they wire both crossfire and air unit (or vista) receivers on different UART and you can select the one you want in betaflight or they only solder the crossfire receiver?
I have the whole dji ecosystem for now with the V1 controller but thinking of buying a long range quad and crossfire or ELRS would probably be a better choice than the air unit receiver.

Would probably depend on the actual product, but I'd expect only the one wired.

Hi,

I'm looking to get a geprc cinelog 30 for the dji fpv v2 goggles...

Doing a lot of research on what controller to get.
A) Dji fpv controller - would only need a drone with the dji air or caddx vista receiver for the goggles and controller...
B) Radiomaster Tx16s with crossfire module - will need a drone with the dji air/caddx vista reciever for the dji goggles and a TBS crossfire nano rx reciever for the Radiomaster tx16 controller...

Just looking for everyone's opinions.

I'm leaning more towards the Radiomaster controller with crossfire.

I've attached a link to a geprc cinelog 30 that by the looks of ot comes with the caddx polar vista reciever for the dji goggles and the crossfire reciever for the controller, just want to know if this is correct?

Thanks for any insights😊

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax