Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Do you recommend?

Yea. Saw that. New replacement arms are $25 on Amazon. Or tape and epoxy ?
Two cracks in one arm is better that one crack in two arms. ?

Thank you. All good points and it actually was helpful.
It is pricy but when I add the cost of building a decent quad, goggles, transmitter, batteries and a good charger it's not too far off.
My skill level is not so advanced that I ever really spent much time fine tuning. Which gets to you point about repairs. Waiting long for replacement parts will not be too good.
I do think it will fly more like my FPV drones that my Phantom when using the various modes.
Thank you for that perspective. It helps with weighing the pros and cons.
To be fair, you'd have to spec that setup with the DJI FPV system for VTX which runs about $700, and another $100-300 for the analog receiver and RC, or $300 for the DJI RC.

Haven't even priced in the drone yet.

You can save a ton by going with a traditional analog VTX, but you making an unfair apples to oranges comparison.

Good info. Thanks again. I was thinking the MC was something i should get up front but based on your comment I may hold off on that if I go forward. Can always pick it up later for the curiosity like you said. Money better spent on a good case. I'm real close. Got the
Reactions vary.

I'm a (not current) private pilot, and the feel and intuitive, subconscious control is amazing. I fly the most with the MC in sport mode.

There is nothing you can do with the MC that you can't with the RC. In fact quite the opposite – the MC has some awkward limitations. Yet the feel of the flying experience is so different, and for some of us it's a thrill that doesn't become routine.

There are a few threads about it in the forum... check them out for a better idea.

does anyone know if the charger in the fly more kit has a battery storage mode?
The batteries, like all DJI batteries, start to self-discharge after a few days to 50%, so no external storage discharging is necessary.

Make that infinity because almost anyone would already have a battery they can use... But what's $30 for the convenience?

The whole point of the DJI FPV is convenience/good integration and the features that stem from it, certainly not low cost. Doubt there would be many DJI FPV owners for whom it'd be that painful paying those $30 after everything else...
That convenience has real value.

For me, that value exceeds the value of $30. Far more. So the spend is a no-brainer.

That's an hour of door dashing. An hour driving my Focus RS around, rocking to some kick-*** tunes, enjoying the Santa Cruz sunshine with my beautiful wife:

20201231_103810.jpg

We're retired, and Doordash for extra play money. Funds most of my drone hobby.

Reactions: A.O.
Well after help from many of you and watching YouTube videos I’m still on the fence but will hold off for a while.

I think the DJI set up is fantastic and I really don’t have any issues about the system. When it comes to clear transmission and distance it superb.

My hesitation has to do with when it breaks. I know I will fly it aggressively and it will break. The DJI care plan is too pricey since there is still a hefty cost if a replacement is needed. Parts are available but it looks like a major pain to take apart.

For the time being I will keep flying my FPV drones. I’m hoping DJI comes out with a next version with easily replaceable parts.

there are third party repair places popping up and maybe that would be an option too. Of course there’s always glue and tape too.

like I said, I’m still on the fence but not ready to pull the trigger. If I didn’t already have FPV drones I’d probably get the DJI.

thank you all for your comments.

Reactions: Fast and Curious
Ok,I'll answer this from the other side of the fence kind of. I'm very new at any drones, got my first ever a Mav Air 2 in Nov 2020. Switched to this DJI FPV in April or march or something and love this guy! I have 4 bird batteries and can easily fly them all with one goggle battery and have plenty left over, I bought an extra anyway as it was only 29 bucks.
I'm not a FPV builder and do not want to be, I just want to fly with the immersive experience and get that with this. I bought the arm bracers also, again at only 19 bucks, why not, I have not crashed so I dont know if they help or not, but as someone said they make great handles to carry it with!
I bought Drone insurance through State Farm, 75 bucks a year and no deductible, have not had to try it yet but those that have state that it works well and no hassle.
And as far as a case I got a Nanuk 945 hard case with the pick and pluck foam for $155 on amazon, worked just fine!
Good luck to you ...

Attachments

• IMG_5374.JPG
    IMG_5374.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: FPV Flier
Hi AO and thank you for your comments. It looks like you have a nice setup and are enjoying the quad.
I have several other FPV quads and enjoy flying them, but I push them hard trying to improve my skills and have crashed all of them a few times.
Repair on FPV drones is easy since most parts are readily available and low cost.
If I got the DJI FPV I’d most likely crash that too because I take chances and sometimes miss. :mad:
My only hesitation is the repair factor. I am hoping the next generation will be plug in and snap on parts.
Im in NC just south of Charlotte. I see you’re in SC. Are you near by?

Hi AO and thank you for your comments. It looks like you have a nice setup and are enjoying the quad.
I have several other FPV quads and enjoy flying them, but I push them hard trying to improve my skills and have crashed all of them a few times.
Repair on FPV drones is easy since most parts are readily available and low cost.
If I got the DJI FPV I’d most likely crash that too because I take chances and sometimes miss. :mad:
My only hesitation is the repair factor. I am hoping the next generation will be plug in and snap on parts.
Near Kershaw, less than an hour from Charlotte

Ive got the DJI FPV and then added a traditional 5" quad ;)

if you are going to push it, and fly close quarters in manual .... then yeah, its probably not for you.
dji care refresh is great, and the repair costs have been exaggerated BUT if you have a crash, you'll also be without it for something like 2 weeks.
... and do this frequently and you'll really ramp up the repair bills.

the DJI FPV is more at home as a kind of cruiser, as it can do pretty long range (compared to many quads) and you have a ton of safety features that you can rely on (much more than GPS Rescue) - also its much more fun as a casual flyer, as you say.... you dont have to worry about batteries, the footage off the camera is pretty good ... without having to start adding a gopro... and the googles view is MUCH better than any other digital system including the air unit!
so its great to just explore areas with, without worrying, stress free flying ... just enjoy immersive flying.
In that vain, its actually really quite fun to fly in Sport (S) mode rather than M mode sometimes... similarly the motion controller is fun, to just enjoy the flying.

it really compliments my 5", which I do all the risky stuff with... but I tend to fly a bit closer to me.
and yes, having flown the DJI FPV, I can say there is alot of 'faff' with the traditional quads... I ended up changing antennas, have to mess about with batteries, and the image quality is just not there...
BUT if I crash it I dust it off, and off I go again!

DJI Arm Bracers - I would recommend them, Ive not noticed any appreciable flight differences (in M mode), you could even argue the braces might stiffen the frame, so that would be a good thing.... and I think for small knocks, they give you a little more chance of survival.

you say you already have some quads?
if so, Id question how much the DJI FPV adds... you already know how to fly acro... you already have the gear.

so, really only makes sense if you want to have more of a casual cruiser...
and of course you can keep your current quads to bash around, and improve your skills with.

as a beginner, I found the 5" has really improved my skills ... so I can now take more risks with the DJI FPV... I just hold back a little to save my wallet.
thats where i think the DJI Arm Bracers are helpful - just in case..

overall... Ive been very happy with it, and glad I started out with it.. and (at least for now) plan to keep it.

downsides? only one... now Im flying the 5" regularly on 6s and more aggressively, I have noticed the DJI FPV is less powerful.
this of course, is natural , its not a freestyler or racer... but you have to remember to adapt (I nearly didnt pull out of a dive the other day!)

as for next generation... who knows if DJI will even bother with a next generation, or what it will look like!
the die-hard fpv-ers that want DJI to release a carbon fibre racer/freestyle. I suspect are going to be sorely disappointed..
I just dont think this is DJIs market, its too small, too niche... and the die-hards will complain if its not perfect, and cost more than $300.
Id love to be wrong, as a DJI version of my 5" would be awesome... but Im not holding my breath ;)

If you're only interest is pushing hard acro, the FPV is probably not a good choice for the reasons you're worried about.

However, it is a vastly more capable and versatile drone than just acro flight, and it's always FPV. Flying with the Motion Controller is an entirely new thrill that some of us have really gotten hooked on.

I purchased the fpv Combo with the fly more package and very glad I did. Like A.O. stated........ I'm not a racer or freestyle pilot. At 71 my reflexes are not what they use to!:) I like to fly low and slow and enjoy the scenery from 400 ft AGL. However, I do fly mostly in sport mode but just don't use all the speed unless I'm in a hurry to get back home. If you won't something that is fun to fly and immersive ......just like sitting in the cockpit then you'll love this drone. The only downside that I see is the battery power usage. That's why I got the fly more package. I average about 10 minutes flight time on one battery. I'm thinking about purchasing another battery and that should give me around 40 minutes of flight time with 4 batteries. IMHO if you choose to purchase the FPV drone.....you can't go wrong!

Hi all,
I've been away for a while but getting back into FPV flying. I have a variety small quads, like tiny hawk, GEPRC, etc. I was out flying today and was thinking about getting the DJI setup.

I want it mainly for the simplicity of flying. At this point I'm more into flying than building and tinkering. It seems the DJI requires a lot less work in terms of battery management, goggle pairing, transmitter set up, etc. Not to mention the digital clarity.

So the question is, does the DJI provide the same feel and is it really that much simpler?

I hope that all makes sense and I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Hi all,
I've been away for a while but getting back into FPV flying. I have a variety small quads, like tiny hawk, GEPRC, etc. I was out flying today and was thinking about getting the DJI setup.

I want it mainly for the simplicity of flying. At this point I'm more into flying than building and tinkering. It seems the DJI requires a lot less work in terms of battery management, goggle pairing, transmitter set up, etc. Not to mention the digital clarity.

So the question is, does the DJI provide the same feel and is it really that much simpler?

I hope that all makes sense and I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
You won't be dissapointed. Love mine. Buy the motion controller for another challenge..

Less than an hour, maybe you need to come down with your FPV's and teach me how to fly them!

I used to have a Roadking...

Less than an hour, maybe you need to come down with your FPV's and teach me how to fly them!

I used to have a Roadking...
Well I used to have a Roadking too. No more sad to say. My wife kept falling asleep on the back.
Not sure if I can teach you how to fly ‘em but I can show you how to crash ‘em. ?
A meetup might be good. Do you have a good place to fly? I usually fly at the soccer field in my community.

I picked up a "lightly used" DJI FPV a week ago and Ive taken it out twice, with maybe a total of 45 minutes in the air. Its too bad DJI seems to require firmware upgrades almost every time I take it out, and sometimes I spend more time in the field "updating" than I do in the air. That part drives me nuts, but it's probably a LOT less time than programming self-built setups.
I have no other real fpv experience, and I can only guess its a tradeoff.

Well I used to have a Roadking too. No more sad to say. My wife kept falling asleep on the back.
Not sure if I can teach you how to fly ‘em but I can show you how to crash ‘em. ?
A meetup might be good. Do you have a good place to fly? I usually fly at the soccer field in my community.
Yeah, I graduated to a Road Glide, the wife sleeps back there all the time!!

Lets see, a place to fly.. hmmm...I have a 10 acre hay field, over on one end of my 100 acres here, would that work?

A quick over view, only my second flight with the DJI FPF

Oh, and the road glide...

Attachments

• FLRTI.JPG
    FLRTI.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blackphoenix