Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Drone Control

superoo

Reaction score
Tried googling but nothing specific i can find yet

gonna try my luck and see if this forum can teach me anything...

Where's the best documentation on how to fly a fpv drone?
Watched plenty of "beginner" youtube videos, with LiftOff tutorial etc.

But nothing that actually speaks into actual control of the drone once flying at high speeds.
They talk a lot about the physics of momentum/drone movement and how to counter steer to "stop" or etc.
And always tiny movements, but is it really tiny movements? No right, not when racing or at high speeds.

I have 100+ hours on LiftOff, i can cruise all day, flip, roll, juicy flick, power flip, land, fly through trees, windows, cross walks, etc.

But I cannot fly through 2 or 3 race gates without crashing for the life of me... I don't get it, what's that "uh hah!" moment?
Is there something I did not read into yet, or check, or fine tune yet?
I started experimenting with adjusting my camera angles (10 through 45) but it's all the same result.
If I can't properly race, I clearly can't control my drone.

Thanks for any help, hope I can get a thread going here and one day soon complete 1 full racing lap without crashing even if it's just "slow".

Move thread if wrong topic forum.

Tried googling but nothing specific i can find yet

gonna try my luck and see if this forum can teach me anything...

Where's the best documentation on how to fly a fpv drone?
Watched plenty of "beginner" youtube videos, with LiftOff tutorial etc.

But nothing that actually speaks into actual control of the drone once flying at high speeds.
They talk a lot about the physics of momentum/drone movement and how to counter steer to "stop" or etc.
And always tiny movements, but is it really tiny movements? No right, not when racing or at high speeds.

I have 100+ hours on LiftOff, i can cruise all day, flip, roll, juicy flick, power flip, land, fly through trees, windows, cross walks, etc.

But I cannot fly through 2 or 3 race gates without crashing for the life of me... I don't get it, what's that "uh hah!" moment?
Is there something I did not read into yet, or check, or fine tune yet?
I started experimenting with adjusting my camera angles (10 through 45) but it's all the same result.
If I can't properly race, I clearly can't control my drone.

Thanks for any help, hope I can get a thread going here and one day soon complete 1 full racing lap without crashing even if it's just "slow".

Move thread if wrong topic forum.
FWIW, you are not alone. Same here

Reactions: superoo
I think a lot has to do with just learning to finesse the controls. Very subtle movements when needed and drastic but controlled when needed as well. May sound dumb but how do you hold your controller? I have my thumb and index on each stick which, I feel, gives me a lot more control than just using my thumbs. Merely preference there though. Also, depending on the simulator, mess with adjusting your rates and throttle expo.. Putting a curve on your rates and throttle can help fine tune your control within the range you choose. This can also be accomplished on your RC as well. I felt like I was struggling a bit at maintaining a smooth flight before I started adjusting my rates and throttle expo. Helped me fine tune and cater my flying ability to where I wanted it to be. Camera angle makes a big difference when racing through gates as well. Practice going through the gates slowly with a lower camera angle. As you get more comfortable, you can up your camera angle and speeds to accommodate.

I think a lot has to do with just learning to finesse the controls. Very subtle movements when needed and drastic but controlled when needed as well. May sound dumb but how do you hold your controller? I have my thumb and index on each stick which, I feel, gives me a lot more control than just using my thumbs. Merely preference there though. Also, depending on the simulator, mess with adjusting your rates and throttle expo.. Putting a curve on your rates and throttle can help fine tune your control within the range you choose. This can also be accomplished on your RC as well. I felt like I was struggling a bit at maintaining a smooth flight before I started adjusting my rates and throttle expo. Helped me fine tune and cater my flying ability to where I wanted it to be. Camera angle makes a big difference when racing through gates as well. Practice going through the gates slowly with a lower camera angle. As you get more comfortable, you can up your camera angle and speeds to accommodate.

awesome thanks for chiming in! great stuff!
yes, i do pinch my sticks :D
hours done in LiftOff
haven't messed with PIDs/rates/etc. just flying stock drones in the sim/workshop Nazgul5 blueprint
yes have tried messing with camera angle, definitely felt the significant changes in flight control, have been flying at 10, 15, 20, 25, and even 30 and 35 to get even more speed-- in the sim. Whichever camera angle, it's still the same, can't get through consecutive gates like mentioned in top post.

So gonna take a look into rates and see if I can get it closer to my flying style.

Thanks!

Changing your rates will help a lot. Taylor it to your flying. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it but the best way I found was to find your ideal roll movement(ie move your joystick to the right/left and back and find the most ideal timing/movement for you to do a roll.. whether moving the joystick 30% then back or 50% etc.)... Then change your roll rates to match. That way you will know exactly how far to move the joystick for a perfect roll every time. Do that with each axis. Hopefully that makes any sense lol. Also, throttle expo was a huge game changer for me too. I set the curve to where my hover point is on the throttle(around 30% for me) so that it gives me more precise leeway when at that hover point. Those settings are easily overlooked and you can learn to fly perfectly fine with default rates BUT, changing them will help cater the settings to your movements and what your comfortable with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18