Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Gday from Australia

Reaction score
Just stopping by to say gday, I've been wanting to get into drones for a while now and decided the other day to download the simulator 'takeoff' and have since been hooked, I do a lot of remote 4wding and enjoy taking photos but want to add a new aspect to what I do so I've decided to break out into drones, drones like the djis and that bore me especially the what they produce until I came across ppl using race drones taking high speed footage, dropping down cliffs, I was hooked, I plan to start out with a happymodel lava x and look to progress from there to something that can run the new dji googles setup and start shooting 4k, also can someone tell me, I've been flying between two modes atm on the simulator, ACRO and 3D, acro seems easier to fly but I feel I should stick to 3d as the maneuverability seems to be more there over acro, what's everyone opinion should I continue to learn to fly in 3d mode or stick to acro, I got told most fpv racers fly acro

Just stopping by to say gday, I've been wanting to get into drones for a while now and decided the other day to download the simulator 'takeoff' and have since been hooked, I do a lot of remote 4wding and enjoy taking photos but want to add a new aspect to what I do so I've decided to break out into drones, drones like the djis and that bore me especially the what they produce until I came across ppl using race drones taking high speed footage, dropping down cliffs, I was hooked, I plan to start out with a happymodel lava x and look to progress from there to something that can run the new dji googles setup and start shooting 4k, also can someone tell me, I've been flying between two modes atm on the simulator, ACRO and 3D, acro seems easier to fly but I feel I should stick to 3d as the maneuverability seems to be more there over acro, what's everyone opinion should I continue to learn to fly in 3d mode or stick to acro, I got told most fpv racers fly acro
Greetings @Pristine_koala and welcome to the forum. I'm from South West WA (the covid19 free state) and like many others on this forum, went through the DJI phantoms, Mavics and whatever and moved across to real quads a few years back. I used Liftoff for a little while but being impatient and the type to bore easily, bought a Wizard X220 RTF package and decided to just send it. I probably rebuilt that thing at least a dozen times after crashing it, watching one of the escs catch fire and then crash and so it goes. The general advice on this forum from those much more experienced than me was for first timers to get into the smaller quads (Lava x for example), a good transmitter and a decent set of goggles. For analogue I went down the road of Happymodel and soon learnt my lesson with a myriad of DOA quads, sub standard AIO boards and have avoided them like the plague. Apparently Happymodel have upgraded their boards and they are much more reliable, but I have had next to zero problems with offerings in the smaller 2.5"/3" range from either Emax or Diatone. I've got an older Taranis QX7S with a set of Fatshark Dominator V3 running a TBS Fusion Rx and they are more than good enough for someone of my skills. I also have a couple of DJI digital setups running the digital goggles and they are on another level again. Expensive, but very worthwhile for me.
If you are buying quads and gear in Australia, expect to pay about $200 for a reasonable small sized quad that will be reasonable straight out of the box. The investment is around your neck and on your face with this hobby, nothing more frustrating in this hobby than having a great quad and a crap pair of goggles and a shite transmitter.

Welcome to the forum @Pristine_koala
I would suggest sticking with Acro mode as that is what most FPV pilots use.
As far as I know, 3D mode requires special gear on the quad and a self centering throttle stick on the transmitter. That mode is for reversing the props so you can fly upside down. Someone will jump in and correct me if that is not the case...

G'day mate. Another fellow West Aussie am I.
The thing is you can fly what ever mode you want on a Sim and it will never do or feel the same as a quad.
If you are not wearing goggles and have your tx in your hands also, it's just a game.
Crash and burn on a Sim and no consequences. Real can mean rebuild.
Not trying to deter you by any stretch of the imagination. Just my opinion that nothing like reality.
Hope you get set up and stick around.
Plenty of great people here.

Greetings @Pristine_koala and welcome to the forum. I'm from South West WA (the covid19 free state) and like many others on this forum, went through the DJI phantoms, Mavics and whatever and moved across to real quads a few years back. I used Liftoff for a little while but being impatient and the type to bore easily, bought a Wizard X220 RTF package and decided to just send it. I probably rebuilt that thing at least a dozen times after crashing it, watching one of the escs catch fire and then crash and so it goes. The general advice on this forum from those much more experienced than me was for first timers to get into the smaller quads (Lava x for example), a good transmitter and a decent set of goggles. For analogue I went down the road of Happymodel and soon learnt my lesson with a myriad of DOA quads, sub standard AIO boards and have avoided them like the plague. Apparently Happymodel have upgraded their boards and they are much more reliable, but I have had next to zero problems with offerings in the smaller 2.5"/3" range from either Emax or Diatone. I've got an older Taranis QX7S with a set of Fatshark Dominator V3 running a TBS Fusion Rx and they are more than good enough for someone of my skills. I also have a couple of DJI digital setups running the digital goggles and they are on another level again. Expensive, but very worthwhile for me.
If you are buying quads and gear in Australia, expect to pay about $200 for a reasonable small sized quad that will be reasonable straight out of the box. The investment is around your neck and on your face with this hobby, nothing more frustrating in this hobby than having a great quad and a crap pair of goggles and a shite transmitter.
G'day mate, thanks for the reply, yep i've learnt quickly the googles you wear will make a difference so money will be spent there, looking for a transmitter so that i can also use to fly planes to so something good that i can use with both hobbies!

Welcome to the forum @Pristine_koala
I would suggest sticking with Acro mode as that is what most FPV pilots use.
As far as I know, 3D mode requires special gear on the quad and a self centering throttle stick on the transmitter. That mode is for reversing the props so you can fly upside down. Someone will jump in and correct me if that is not the case...
Cheers yeh will stick with ACRO then thanks for the input.

G'day mate. Another fellow West Aussie am I.
The thing is you can fly what ever mode you want on a Sim and it will never do or feel the same as a quad.
If you are not wearing goggles and have your tx in your hands also, it's just a game.
Crash and burn on a Sim and no consequences. Real can mean rebuild.
Not trying to deter you by any stretch of the imagination. Just my opinion that nothing like reality.
Hope you get set up and stick around.
Plenty of great people here.
100% mate, i have flown rc planes before, i remember learning on the simulator and was able to fly a 3d plane pretty well ie hover and that, when i first stept out with a real plane i was going ok until i tried something a little fancy and absolutely ate **** and destroyed the plane, but the simulator does help get the fingers and the brain working together. And as to why im starting out with a low cost and semi durable drones first as i know i'll crash them but atleast wont be crashing a $600+ setup, i do enjoy god mode to on the sims haha, thanks yeah i cant see myself going anywhere anytime soon the only thing i will see is my money going as i drain my cash into this hobby lol.

Just a learning curve that can be frustrating and a lot of people give up pretty quickly.
I started with rubbish stuff flying los then went into GPS style ( parrot beebop 2)
Then straight into 4s 5" Diatone tyrant which blew me away.
Sims are ok for a rainy day imho but get set up and you will love it.
Aus is tough to get stuff at a reasonable price and one of the guys myself and Tevek regularly buy from is a bit low on stock ATM.
Where are you in Aus?

Just a learning curve that can be frustrating and a lot of people give up pretty quickly.
I started with rubbish stuff flying los then went into GPS style ( parrot beebop 2)
Then straight into 4s 5" Diatone tyrant which blew me away.
Sims are ok for a rainy day imho but get set up and you will love it.
Aus is tough to get stuff at a reasonable price and one of the guys myself and Tevek regularly buy from is a bit low on stock ATM.
Where are you in Aus?
yeh im looking for somewhere to buy atm, im in NSW, Just out of sydney!

I fear it will only get worse for us here in the states due to China's new laws on Hong Kong :(

Armattan is in France, and Flynocerus just went out of business. I am positive the frames and parts for both are/were sourced locally except all electronics are sourced from China, even a US maker like Radix still gets things built in China from American designs.

Armattan is in France, and Flynocerus just went out of business. I am positive the frames and parts for both are/were sourced locally.
That's disappointing, I suspect the knock on effects of the covid19 are destroying the type of discretionary spending we witnessed in the past with mass unemployment and people sitting on their money out of sheer fear. My local suppler has only just received some stock of sorts and he was saying that there is still enough demand out there but very little to sell to them. Having said that I just bought a Diatone R349 NX from him and some spares as a sign of support.

• Love
Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax