Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Good "Beginner" FPV System

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I've been in "Drones" a long time now and I'm very interested in a good reliable FPV system. Not for racing but just for fun around the neighborhood for flying through the forest etc.

1) I don't really want to Design/Build at this point (even though that's the smartest route I'm sure). I have nothing in the terms of FPV equipment so I would be starting from scratch there. Here are my thoughts (don't shoot me):

2) I have a Credit with Horizon Hobby so I was thinking about getting something from them in terms of an Off-The-Shelf aircraft system and then get the goggles etc wherever the best place to buy them would be. I know nothing about the FPV rx/tx technology or terminology so I'l flying blind (pun intended LOL).

3) I don't need crazy long range as everything I'll be doing will be flown inside of 1/2mile easily but I want the signal etc to be able to penetrate the forest.

4) I don't want the flight battery to be something like DJI's SMART batteries (I love them but $$). I would prefer standard LIPO with standard LIPO connectors.

5) I'm not looking for GPS/Gyro stabilization type of drones unless those features can be toggled OFF.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly welcome.

I would go with a whoop drone, like a Tinyhawk or something similar. Get a kit that comes with everything.

Once you have mastered flying this, go digital with DJI FPV system. IMO do not waste your money on analog if you have the money to spend and want a much more immersive experience.(Plus better penetration\easier to setup and with no static)
Many pilots use simulators on their computers to get used to flying in different modes before actually flying, you can save some money this way from constant repairs. That is why I recommend a start kit since most of these small whoop style quads are pretty durable and have everything you need to start flying.

Reactions: Sprinter and mrmund
Hey @BigAl07, welcome over to the dark side!

I agree mostly with @Madhungarian comments but I differ slightly in the approach I would take, the first big decision is whether you want DJI FPV for (about) the 2.5 inch and above sector, in my opinion starting new that is the way to go for the FPV part of it unless you want to start budget and perhaps sell a few things as you move up in size and price.

The second big decision is whether you will use the DJI control link, you can do so and make full use of the DJI Air Unit and/or Vista setups since they have a control link RX built in.

Unfortunately I do not think Tower carries anything worthwhile except maybe the charger you would want, but I will go have a look and see for you since I haven't been there in ages.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in this journey, I've made the same offer to @Donnie Baker since he has recently shown some interest also in the "dark side" LOL

Reactions: dirkclod
@BigAl07, sorry, my bad, I read Horizon and then thought Tower, Horizon could have a little something for you, I will go have a look.

@BigAl07, nope, I was correct about what they have, even if I was wrong about which store, Horizon has NOTHING of interest except maybe a charger and (possibly) batteries, they sell one DJI quad (an inverted motor cinewhoop I believe, but can't be sure since no pic and it is in store sell only) but they don't even sell the TX or goggles, weird.

Hey @BigAl07, fancy seeing you here too, I'm also just getting into FPV. I already did what the madhungarian suggested and picked up the Tinyhawk 2 RTF bundle. I'm super happy with it so far. I picked up a bunch of extra batteries and have been practicing. I think the 1s batteries are better for inside the house but had some fun today with the 2s's outside. I'll probably get a better pair of goggles soon but what you get in the bundle is really good for the price.
I will say this, the goggles are on the small size, they work okay for me but be aware if you don't have a small head there will be some light leaking in.
Best of luck, I think you'll really enjoy FPV

Thank you ALL for your suggestions. I'll do some research over the next few days and dig into it.

I don't really need/want a "Trainer" drone as I can fly without any of the training wheels of today's advanced flying modes. FPV is really my biggest "black hole" as I've never jumped into that sector at all. I've just flown with Phantoms, Mavics, Matrices etc in terms of "Camera" platforms.

Again thanks for the INFO and THANK YOU for the warm welcome :)

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thank you ALL for your suggestions. I'll do some research over the next few days and dig into it.

I don't really need/want a "Trainer" drone as I can fly without any of the training wheels of today's advanced flying modes. FPV is really my biggest "black hole" as I've never jumped into that sector at all. I've just flown with Phantoms, Mavics, Matrices etc in terms of "Camera" platforms.

Again thanks for the INFO and THANK YOU for the warm welcome :)
ATTI mode experience is not enough to fly these types of drones since you will need to get used to throttle control. Trust me I started the same way, I own an Autel Evo and Bebop 2. With the utmost respect, these GPS drones like the Mavic or Evo are the ones with "training wheels" IMO when comparing to freestyle.
Also FPV is possible with your camera drones, I fly my Evo that way, if your flying a Mavic and have a smart controller you can always HDMI out to any goggle that supports HDMI in. I believe the newer Phantom series controllers also support HDMI out. I have seen a person named Ken Heron on YouTube fly his Phantom using his fatsharks. However if you looking to fly FPV and do maneuvers that the GPS drones cannot yes do your research, maybe try a simulator, because your in for a surprise. Here is Ken flying FPV with his Phantom just watch the first 25 seconds. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thank you @Madhungarian for the tips etc

I started flying R/C long before we had any type of stabilization etc. (~1974) My background includes 3D aerobatics (plane and helo), non-stabilized MultiRotors, and then of course the current crop of autonomous UAS we all know and love that do all the flying for us..... we just point it in the direction we want it to go LOL. I've flown several non-stabilized UAS but my hang-up is the custom FPV aspect. I have zero experience with the current technology of FPV equipment so I'll need to get my feet wet in that arena to be able to sharpen my FPV skills to where I want to be.

Yes I can def do some FPV with my other UAS but they are my Bread & Butter aircraft that we use for our business and Search & Rescue. I want something that's more robust and to be honest more FLYABLE without all the training wheels and stabilization. I want to flip, roll, dart & dash while zipping through the forest. I know I'll have "incidents" which is why I'm not using my Camera UAS as they can be a pain and expensive to repair.

Again thank you for your input and advice.

I would go with a whoop drone, like a Tinyhawk or something similar. Get a kit that comes with everything.

Once you have mastered flying this, go digital with DJI FPV system. IMO do not waste your money on analog if you have the money to spend and want a much more immersive experience.(Plus better penetration\easier to setup and with no static)
Many pilots use simulators on their computers to get used to flying in different modes before actually flying, you can save some money this way from constant repairs. That is why I recommend a start kit since most of these small whoop style quads are pretty durable and have everything you need to start flying.

Well I've taken the first step and my EMAX Tinyhawk 2 Freestyle should arrive here to my office any moment now. Of course it's raining Cats & Dogs right now so it may be tomorrow before I can get outside to fly it but once it's here I may charge everything and go fly through some of our warehouses here on the property if they are lit up enough LOL.

Reactions: mrmund
Well I've taken the first step and my EMAX Tinyhawk 2 Freestyle should arrive here to my office any moment now. Of course it's raining Cats & Dogs right now so it may be tomorrow before I can get outside to fly it but once it's here I may charge everything and go fly through some of our warehouses here on the property if they are lit up enough LOL.
NICE! Your going to love it!. The kit I do not think comes with a manual however emax website has one. I would just fly it without the goggles first, get the hang of it before you try FPV. Here is the manual.

Get to know the switches on your controller, like the arm switch and your mode switch. Start off in angle mode while flying without your goggles, however get to know how your goggles connects to the drone, also you can see in the goggles what mode your in. I would fly first somewhere you wont crash into anything and has a soft ground. Remeber this version has no propeller guards, if you happen to bend a propeller you can bend them back by hand, also you get spares, you will also need 1.5mm allen wrench to attach your props, REMEBER you have put them on a certain way.drone-propellers-directions-jpg.jpeg
Linke below for tools

Good luck and happy flying!

Reactions: BigAl07
Also dont forget to turn off your arm switch when you crash, or your motors will continue spinning!

@Madhungarian thank you for the links and the tips. Much appreciated :)

Reactions: Madhungarian
Well my shipment arrived yesterday and I was surprised the box was smaller than I had expected (That's what she said LOL)....

I had ordered (12) spare batteries and (8) spare props along with the Ready To Fly package including aircraft, Tx, Goggles, 2 batteries, and some other small extras.

I open the box and it's almost ALL packaging filler... (crumpled paper) and only the (12) batteries and (8) props in the box. There was a "shipping Pick Ticket" (computer generated) that indicated only 2 items were to be picked and both items were manually checked off and the paper had a signature. So it looked like the KIT was not even on the "pick list".

I emailed the company stating what had happened, the box was intact and not damaged but it was missing the MAIN item from the order. I explained I had documented the items in the box and had also taken a picture of the "Pick Ticket" showing only 2 items to be picked and shipped. Within a few minutes I got the "We'll be in contact within 2 business days" or something like that response so I called the company. I was anxious to find out if maybe there was another box in transit so I could watch for it. I was told, "If there were only (2) items on the pick list that is a computer glitch on our end and you're not the first person to experience this. I'll take care of it immediately and call you back shortly with the tracking for the RTF kit."

8 hours later no call back but I get an email that sounds almost "accusatory" and asks for a picture of the mysterious "Pick Ticket" even though the chap on the phone stated this wasn't the first time they had seen this problem and he even told me what the person's name is that "Picked" the order (I couldn't make out the name). So I have spare batteries and props ready for an aircraft kit that is currently MIA.

Well my shipment arrived yesterday and I was surprised the box was smaller than I had expected (That's what she said LOL)....

I had ordered (12) spare batteries and (8) spare props along with the Ready To Fly package including aircraft, Tx, Goggles, 2 batteries, and some other small extras.

I open the box and it's almost ALL packaging filler... (crumpled paper) and only the (12) batteries and (8) props in the box. There was a "shipping Pick Ticket" (computer generated) that indicated only 2 items were to be picked and both items were manually checked off and the paper had a signature. So it looked like the KIT was not even on the "pick list".

I emailed the company stating what had happened, the box was intact and not damaged but it was missing the MAIN item from the order. I explained I had documented the items in the box and had also taken a picture of the "Pick Ticket" showing only 2 items to be picked and shipped. Within a few minutes I got the "We'll be in contact within 2 business days" or something like that response so I called the company. I was anxious to find out if maybe there was another box in transit so I could watch for it. I was told, "If there were only (2) items on the pick list that is a computer glitch on our end and you're not the first person to experience this. I'll take care of it immediately and call you back shortly with the tracking for the RTF kit."

8 hours later no call back but I get an email that sounds almost "accusatory" and asks for a picture of the mysterious "Pick Ticket" even though the chap on the phone stated this wasn't the first time they had seen this problem and he even told me what the person's name is that "Picked" the order (I couldn't make out the name). So I have spare batteries and props ready for an aircraft kit that is currently MIA.
You ordered this on Amazon?

You ordered this on Amazon?

No I ordered it directly from RaceDayQuads because the ones on Amazon were showing a longer lead-time. I may have shot myself in the foot trying to get the unit a week or two sooner lol.

No I ordered it directly from RaceDayQuads because the ones on Amazon were showing a longer lead-time. I may have shot myself in the foot trying to get the unit a week or two sooner lol.
Racedayquads will take care of it, I ordered a quad from them and it went bad after 8 flights(different quad then what you ordered), I also had to take a video of the problem. Just send them the photos they will take care of you. I would call them again on Monday if do not here anything after you send the photos.

I order from Race Day Quads quite often and have had no problems. They are a good company so I'm sure you will be taken care of.
Kind of a bummer though that you have to wait to fly...:(

I order from Race Day Quads quite often and have had no problems. They are a good company so I'm sure you will be taken care of.
Kind of a bummer though that you have to wait to fly...:(

I spoke with them again today on the phone. The guy who emailed me is off till Monday but the gentleman who took my call today resolved the problem and issued a new RTF kit today. I got a new order # and everything. I expect to have it in hand by around Wed/Thur of next week.

Allen

Last edited:
My new kit is "In Transit" and showing it will be delivered by 9:00pm tomorrow so I should have it in have by Thursday evening (We always allow and extra day because we live in RURAL North Carolina).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax