Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

HappyModel blues

tevek

Reaction score
So here we go, like many others, have a cluster of 3”,5” and 6” quads and wanted to move into into cineewhoops and similar platforms due to the heavily wooded area at home for those days when winter only gives you short opportunities to fly and you still want to practice, record and whatever.
The ladder looks like this:
1. Number 1 trashcan landed on a basket ball court and by the time I got there, some kids had pinched it and summarily dumped it into a rubbish bin (how ironic).
2. Number 2 trashcan ended up in a bowl of water after a number of fail safe/throttle issues (only one on the block) and that was that.
3. Number 3 trashcan just died when flying through some trees. 5v regulator is cactus and can be fixed with a DC convertor.
4. Mobula 7 HD died and was resurrected with a new FC under warranty. Three batteries later, yellow screen of death from the Caddx camera. Google suggested that I stick the camera sensor in the oven with my roast chook and see how that goes. Nope, upon closer inspection with my magnifying/light set up revealed the coax ribbon was pinched and effectively shorting out. Rang Caddx Australia and after apologising profusely, are sending me a warranty replacement.
I understand that tiny whoops and HD versions are still under development but to be so fragile in relatively mundane flying conditions is counter intuitive given what they are designed for. No more HappyModel stuff until they sort out the issues with the crazybee fc as the internet is groaning under the weight of issues.
I can happily accept responsibility for cock ups, but is it acceptable for random stuff like failsafes, throttle issues and having to run your kit in D8 and switch off telemetry?

Last edited:
Oh buddy I feel for you but fu** me that was funny.
I still want to see the camera sensor in the oven with the chicken.
Did they say if it needs seasoning?
Funny thing is the wife asked me what I was doing. I replied that I was killing two birds with one stone and she walked away shaking her head. Chicken turned out great but the sensor was a no show. Must admit the mobula smells like KFC .... I might serve it up with a side of fries and salad.

What ever you do, don't forget the gravy bro.
Hmmm mobula gravy.
I’m laughing at your post big boy. I could have quite easily eaten the thing with Chianti and fave beans. As for catching up, starting a new 8/6 roster and see where the opportunities lie. Grant has asked me to drop in for some gigs, but the travelling is outrageous for now.

I've been SO TEMPTED to get a "toothpick" style micro, but I keep seeing what you're talking about. The last micro I got that I was truly happy with was the Tinyhawk, and we know all about those. The "quality control" (airquotes) is just all over the map with these things. The market is so fickle it's kinda hard to blame them; they've got a stupid short engineering and production cycle, and then maybe 6 months to offload their stock. That is unless it gets super popular, in which case they do a bigger run, and whatever quality control was there is thrown right out the window.

You can build one yourself on a 16x16 stack and I think that's going to be the only reliable option for the next few months.

Tevek, you want to hear outrageous roster.
Mine is 4 weeks away and 4 nights at home. Travel is most of 2 days so I land in Perth Friday afternoon (around 1.30pm) and fly out at 7.20am Tuesday morning arrive back at my apartment at 5.30pm Tuesday.

rtk, I'm waiting for a HD toothpick to come out.
Won't be too long I don't think but I still want actual flight weight under 100 grams for flight restriction laws.

Tevek, you want to hear outrageous roster.
Mine is 4 weeks away and 4 nights at home. Travel is most of 2 days so I land in Perth Friday afternoon (around 1.30pm) and fly out at 7.20am Tuesday morning arrive back at my apartment at 5.30pm Tuesday.
Well that’s pretty ordinary. I used to do stinkers like that in the early days but now look for family/drone friendly rosters. Finally figured out that chasing big coin wasn’t really worth it although I found out that your kids need more help AFTER they leave home. The cost of this hobby is nothing compared to the cost of a random phone call or text trying to get something fixed or sorted......

Reactions: Wayno52

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Notubesmaster