Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Help building first quad

Phoenix

Reaction score
Okay so I fly a phantom and I thought building my own quadcopter and getting into the drone building hobby would be cool. I watched a fairly complete tutorial on how to build a cheap drone on YouTube, but I still have many things to do and lots of questions. My quad has a Racerstar ESC, a Matek PDB, racerstar motors, an Eachine VTX03 Video Transmitter, and a Naze32 Rev6 Flight Controller. I believe I fried the PDB somehow as it sparked and appears damaged, and my flight controller would not work when I tried to use clean flight and beta flight. So here are the questions I have at this point:

Should I buy a new Rev6 or get a new Flight Controller?

Should I replace the PDB?

How can I connect a transmitter to the flight controller?

How can I connect a live feed transmitter to the VTX?

When this is finished, what do I need to connect where?

And as a bonus, what is the easiest way to charge li po batteries?

Thank you all for any help. For some reason I can't put a picture of my quad on this site right now, but if I figure it out I will do it later. Thanks

What stage of assembly is it in? Is the PDB all wired to everything? Is the FC wired up?
What stage of assembly is it in? Is the PDB all wired to everything? Is the FC wired up?

Everything was wired together, the Fc was wired to the esc and everything else, same with the PDB. The only thing I didn't have wired to the FC was the trabsmitter

First I would inspect all the solder points on the PDB and all wiring connected to the PDB looking for a possible short. If you can safetly plug in the quad battery, plug in the battery and check the voltage at all the pads on the PDB with a multi-meter. Don't forget the pads powering the FC.

Then to see if your FC is still good, go to betaflight configurator app in google chrome and install the first two drivers linked on the main page. Plug in the FC to USB with the quad battery NOT connected. Does the FC LED light up? Does the Com port in the drop down menu at the top right of the app change?

First I would inspect all the solder points on the PDB and all wiring connected to the PDB looking for a possible short. If you can safetly plug in the quad battery, plug in the battery and check the voltage at all the pads on the PDB with a multi-meter. Don't forget the pads powering the FC.

Then to see if your FC is still good, go to betaflight configurator app in google chrome and install the first two drivers linked on the main page. Plug in the FC to USB with the quad battery NOT connected. Does the FC LED light up? Does the Com port in the drop down menu at the top right of the app change?

The FC does not respond to being plugged in by the computer. My laptop recognizes it as a device and beeps, but the program cannot recognize it and the controller does not light up. I think I'm just going to replace those two parts

Don't do that, go through the steps in this video. If the controller LED lights up, and the computer makes a sound then the flight controller is probably working. It is likely a driver issue. Don't worry about doing the Zadig part for now, that is for flashing firmware which hopefully you won't need to do.

Oh wait, you don't get any LED lighting up at all when you plug in the FC? Sorry I read that wrong. In that case, the FC might be bad. But still worth trying the steps in the video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax