Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Help in troubleshooting black video

jjohnson23112

Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm a noob just FYI. Have the betaFPV advanced kit 2 (meteor75 lite) and loved it - trying to upgrade the VTX and having issues.
I wired up the new vtx (eachine nano v2) and put the battery to the FC with just the vtx and camera connected. VTX gets power and i get a black screen on the googles so I think it's putting out a signal. No OSD.

Tried to wire the camera directly to the VTX to bypass the OSD chip - still nothing same behavior (black screen)

2nd test: plug in the OLD VTX and wired the camera back to the old VTX - same behavior, black screen, no video, no OSD.

So I guess i somehow blew out the camera? but if so why no OSD? I should at least get OSD on top of the black camera right?

Also - tried to connect the motors back and plug in the battery and the controller binds and motors arm just fine, so i think the FC is fine.

LMK what you guys think!

Welcome to the forum @jjohnson23112!
For a newb you have a good idea of what's going on, you must have been doing your research.
I have seen where the OSD cannot be added because there is no video signal from the camera to add it to, but I have also seen where the OSD shows up without a good video signal for it to be added to. It is possible that the OSD would show up with a good video signal but you won't know till you get there. The OSD circuit is completely separate from the other functions of the FC so it is possible that both the OSD circuit and your cam output are broken, again, you won't know until you get there. It does sound like the vTX is working fine since you get a black screen on your display. Wish I could be more sure of what you have but the indications say it could be both the camera and the OSD circuit on the FC, this stuff has always been a little hit and miss for quality and reliability.

Hey @HighTechPauper thanks for the response. So what's you're saying is interesting - i assumed that the FC would be able to add the OSD even without a camera, so I did another test where I totally removed the cam and just tried the FC with the VTX (both old and new) - still no OSD.

If i'm understanding you correctly, it's possible that this setup doesn't work - you might HAVE to have a camera wired in in order to even have a video signal for the FC to add the OSD to?

If that's the case, it could be the cam, the FC or both - so in order to troubleshoot i need both a known good FC and a known good cam right?

Thanks for clarifying

Last edited:
I would just start with a good camera that wires direct to the vTX, once you have a picture you can hook it back through the FC and see if the osd works or not. One issue at a time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax