Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

How do I start this sport without spending insane money?

CookFLHX

Reaction score
I’m sure this question comes up a lot, and if I’m being redundant, I apologize.

I want to get started in this sport. I currently fly DJI camera drones and though they are cool, they are kinda boring too.

I want to build a FPV drone. I want to try it, but I’ve been told the best way is go is a 5” drone, and starting from scratch, it looks like it’s going to be a minimum of $600-$700 for a quad, radio controller, and goggles.

What if I spend that kind of money but don’t like it? I know there is a big learning curve, and I’m currently practicing on a simulator. DRL on an Xbox One. Not the best, but better than nothing.

Any advice on a way to break into this any cheaper? I know the first purchase is a radio controller. I was told I needed a Radio Master TX16 and that’s $200 right there.

My questions are, what are good budget equipment that will be just fine for now? I need the basics
Radio Controller
Goggles
Drone build

I have a cheap eMax EZpilot kit. Cost about $100 but it came with a pair of 5.8Gz goggles and an EZpilot controller.

Will those goggles work for now on a custom drone? What about the controller? Does the EZ pilot controller use a special protocol or can it be bound to a custom setup? Are they junk and not worth trying to use?

It would be great if they could run a 5” build well enough to convince me it’s worth the investment.

Gotta be a way to experience this on the cheap.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

You could get something like this and find goggles that work with it. I don't see this taking much abuse though. My first FPV was a nazgul evoque f5 which is built like a tank. I've had serious crashes and this thing has not skipped a beat. Most I've changed has been props. The total kit cost me around $1700 for drone, goggles, radio, charger, and batteries.

I built my own drone and had a lot invested, but since they break often, ie. we crash often. Swapping components is a godsend. When I got divorced I took all my drone **** and sold it for 1000 dollars. I had the fat shark goggles, top of line controllers and flight component. I even through in the variable temp soldering iron and myriad of chargers. So all you needs is that proverbial disgruntled wife married (temporarily) to a quality builder brother.

There’s an old joke about a man contacting his ex wife and asking her to sell his corvette and send him the money. She sold the car for 50 dollars.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya