Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

how to practice for FPV Racing

Blue Bullet

Reaction score
have read many threads recommending if your gonna do FPV racing, start with FPV, I have.
I am currently using the Freerider Sim and the DRL sim.

IN just about 2 weeks I have become comfortable ( didnt say good ) with the controls.

enjoy trying to fly through trees and between buildings in DRL sim and, and flying around the circuit/tracks in FreeRider

My question is how to get down to the level needed to fly through the gates?
How does one practice that sort of thing?

To me, the easiest way to practice is to use a micro drone that you can fly indoors. It isn't exactly the same but close enough. It is much easier to find a few minutes to fly with the little guys. I have an SRD101 from helipal, and just got an Eachine ex105 for a friend of mine from banggood.

Reactions: Serius
tGO said it right. There is no better practice then IRL (In Real Life). But you can still use the sim for practice too. But you have to think of using the sim like a tool rather than a game. While flying the sim, think about how you can use it to increase your flying accuracy. Imagine your own boundaries and try to stay within them. This WILL improve your skills. Makes sim flying less enjoyable though.

I said what the heck! I put on my goggles and started flying, and in just a few times I am really getting the hang of it. It worked for me but It may not be the right decision for you.

I said what the heck! I put on my goggles and started flying, and in just a few times I am really getting the hang of it. It worked for me but It may not be the right decision for you.

Honestly, that is what I did too. No simulator and I didn't get my micro FPV drone until later. I did have a couple toy micro drones before but went straight to rate mode on my big FPV drone.

The sim has done wonders for my skills. I just hope the heli skillset will transfer "well" to quads. I haven't seen a FPV sim. But I have a very high opinion of sim's.

I got the eachine Falcon 250 and it came with the Eachine i6 controller and my hopes was to use freeerider sim or the DRL sim but NOoooooo, hooked up the controller...my computer cant find the **** driver to install it!!! I was pissed so just started LOS training. So I ordered the Wizard x220 and that comes with the FRYSKY controller. My hopes is that when it gets here, my computer will install that controller.

And I've looked everywhere for the driver too. Nowhere!! I really need a Sim

I have a related question. I just ordered a FrSky Taranis Plus and was wondering if it'll be ready to plug into the PC right out of the box to use with a sim. Or do i need to buy some sort of cable separately? Thanks.

Reactions: Chris J
I finally got freerider & my controller to sync. I used the Flysky TX that came with my Wizard x220 because my Eachines i6 will not connect. Weird. But at least now I'm into a simulator.

So I got a couple different simulators running today and hooked up my transmitter. Holy moly, this is such a different animal than the DJI types that I've been flying. The learning curve is gonna be steep.

Reactions: Serius
Chris,

I'm using Freerider more than DRL. I just installed DRL about a week ago so I haven't really used it much yet. One thing I did coming from the Phantom world. I started flying my actual quads in Horizon mode beacause it's closer to Phantom flying than Acro mode is but in the sim I went straight to Acro. Most people say to start flying the actual quads in Acro immediately. I really wanted to get in the air, get a feel for things and minimize damage before going to Acro.

I flew mostly in Acro yesterday and will spend quite a bit of time today fixing a few of my quads. It was a lot of fun but it is very different from Phantom flying, even in ATTI mode. Acro would be more equivalent to flying in full manual mode with your Phantom.

Jerry

I'm using FreeRider mostly as my DRL simulator is choppy (my computer is real old, not sure if it can process it). I bought and loaded the LIFTOFF simulator but my Flysky doesn't seem to work with it. $20....im pissed

I'm using Liftoff mostly so far, but also have Freerider. It'll probably take me a couple weeks to get around to building my QAV-X so hopefully that'll give me enough time to learn the basics via the sim.

What TX are you using on LiftOff?

****, was hoping you said DX6. Lol. I don't want a Taranis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax