Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Looking for a good place to start...

graywoulf

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Well after a long hiatus from wanting to explore FPV, I am back to start again. I have been a drone pilot for around six years flying toy quads to my DJI Spark(s) but I want to build myself a mini quad for some cinematic and aerobatic fun. I have building experience to a small degree playing with my toy quads and building tiny whoops but I want the full experience now. It is so overwhelming to look at all of the different possibilities of frames, FC's, Vtx's, motors and ESC's to speak of a few components.

I have already got a Taranis QX 7 Tx and I just bought a used pair of Fatshark HD2 goggles and will be installing the LaForge diversity receiver module that I bought as well into them. So, at this point, I am researching the main components needed to build a mini quad and learning what is out there that I can afford on a fixed income. I would like to think that someday this could end up with a long range setup I could fly in the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains.

I am looking for a place to find some sort of guide to pieces and parts online. I spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos and have learned a lot from that source. So if any one of you can point me in the direction of a wealth of information on any of this, I would be very grateful.

Enough said and I'll see you around. ;)

graywoulf

Rotorbuilds is a great place to explore. You can click on a specific part (like a frame you're looking at) and see what other's have done with it. Completed builds on that site have links to where they got the parts, as well as an estimated price for the finished build.

https://oscarliang.com/ is a great resource if you have a specific problem or question with a build. I prefer to read than watch a youtube video myself, it's easier for me to skip to the solution to my problem.

Albert Kim is a youtuber that reviews a lot of FPV stuff. He's not flashy (which I appreciate) and he really knows his stuff. UAV futures does a lot of reviews, but sometimes I feel like Stu calls everything he reviews "THE NEW BEST THING!!" He's not quite as balanced in that way, but he does very detailed breakdowns

One of my personal favorites on youtube is Kabab FPV. It was his advice that got me in the air, and I modeled my first builds after his. Truth is, I still use his frame design, and try to build things in a similar fashion. He gets DEEP into the weeds sometimes, and his stuff can be boring if you're not glued to the topic. I watch everything he does.

And one for inspiration: Finky FPV. Finky is my personal FPV hero right now. Shots he's done like Around the Circle and Just Can't stop are perfect examples of someone that's doing real film work with the medium, not just flying around pretty spots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax