Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Motion controller

Mothman85

Reaction score
To me it was a complete waste of money. Neat device, Makes my flight feel too restricted and cannot fly backwards.

Reactions: A.O.
But, i had my wife try it. She caught on in about 3 min and said ”ohhhhhh, this is way cool. Now i see why u want to do this all the time. “ Worth its weight in gold i would say.

Get one if you want to simulate the fixed wing, high speed jet experience. It accomplishes that surprising well, and is a complete blast.

If you are biased toward the quad experience and don't like anything that deviates from it, you'll hate it.

I love it.

After "flying with thumbs" for 40+ years I can say the MC is a pretty cool accessory IMO. It is very intuitive and relaxing compared to sticks. A fun accessory that others can pick up on pretty quick.

All that said, there are definitely limitations: A bit longer lag time, can't fly backwards and I have not tested the range compared to the std controller but looking at the design (internal antenna) I'd think the range would be a fair distance shorter.

I haven't noticed a lag difference. The backwards issue is annoying at first, but a sufficient workaround is to just do a 180 in place (or π depending on which units you prefer), then go forward.

However, the MC really isn't suitable for any such kind of flying. Close-in, slow maneuvers really need the precision of the sticks.

The MC shines in wide-open, fast soaring, sweeping, diving kind of flying, high speed in S mode. For that the sticks can't compare.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned (has it?) is the MC also controls the pitch of the camera dynamically, creating the illusion – but far more important, the experience – that the "nose" of your aircraft is pointing on your trajectory. this sort of gimbal control is impossible with the stick controller, and so is the experience:

Last edited:
I haven't noticed a lag difference. The backwards issue is annoying at first, but a sufficient workaround is to just do a 180 in place (or π depending on which units you prefer), then go forward.

However, the MC really isn't suitable for any such kind of flying. Close-in, slow maneuvers really need the precision of the sticks.

The MC shines in wide-open, fast soaring, sweeping, diving kind of flying, high speed in S mode. For that the sticks can't compare.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned (has it?) is the MC also controls the pitch of the camera dynamically, creating the illusion – but far more important, the experience – that the "nose" of your aircraft is pointing on your trajectory. this sort of gimbal control is impossible with the stick controller, and so is the experience:

You're right, it diffidently is not made for cinematic flying. That's what I use my MP for. Start and stop is way to jerky. However, I love my MC in S mode for fast low type jet flying. By the way, did you make it through the Pier? lol

Reactions: Anzacjack
You're right, it diffidently is not made for cinematic flying. That's what I use my MP for. Start and stop is way to jerky. However, I love my MC in S mode for fast low type jet flying. By the way, did you make it through the Pier? lol
Yep, but not on that flight.

I'm working my way up to shooting under there at full throttle (63mph), but way too chicken. I've maxed at about 25 so far, have done it about 10 times so far.

Turning 60 next month, stuff like this just gives me the willies way more than it used to. Probably declining reflexes. I'll get there!

Yep, but not on that flight.

I'm working my way up to shooting under there at full throttle (63mph), but way too chicken. I've maxed at about 25 so far, have done it about 10 times so far.

Turning 60 next month, stuff like this just gives me the willies way more than it used to. Probably declining reflexes. I'll get there!
Hey man, please be careful. Don't won't to center one of those poles a 60 MPH!! There wouldn't be anything left. However, they are fun to fly low and fast, really love mine!

Reactions: Anzacjack
I'm right there with you rktman!.... I'm gettin' close to 60 as well and my thumbs, although being on the sticks for over 40 years, are not as quick as they used to be. Still a blast though eh??!

@CactusJackSlade **** straight :cool:

Just takes more practice than it used to. This old dog can learn new tricks, just needs more repetition to get there 😁

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I'm right there with you rktman!.... I'm gettin' close to 60 as well and my thumbs, although being on the sticks for over 40 years, are not as quick as they used to be. Still a blast though eh??!
Just reread this, taking note of the 40 years. Reminded me of my first RC experience: Cliff soaring in 1984, Half Moon Bay, with the Gentle Lady... anyone else build and fly one of those?

Just reread this, taking note of the 40 years. Reminded me of my first RC experience: Cliff soaring in 1984, Half Moon Bay, with the Gentle Lady... anyone else build and fly one of those?
Not a Gentle Lady, but I had a Wanderer. Very similar, different mfg though I believe.

Get one if you want to simulate the fixed wing, high speed jet experience. It accomplishes that surprising well, and is a complete blast.

If you are biased toward the quad experience and don't like anything that deviates from it, you'll hate it.

I love it.
Please forgive my ignorance.

What is the "quad experience" in this context?

Thx,

TCS

Helicopter flight dynamics. For example can hover and fly backwards.

One of the main things is the ability to do moves in the vertical axis, straight up climbs, dives etc... You can't do that with the MC, it's still the same old "flat" flight as with a Mavic or such, just with a little extra "fluff".

Helicopter flight dynamics. For example can hover and fly backwards.
OK, thanks.

It strikes me as a bit odd that it can't be used to fly the FPV backwards, but that does seem to be the universal view.

But it will hover with the MC, yes? Isn't that what the "Brake" does?

Thx,

TCS

One of the main things is the ability to do moves in the vertical axis, straight up climbs, dives etc... You can't do that with the MC, it's still the same old "flat" flight as with a Mavic or such, just with a little extra "fluff".
OK, this is very clarifying.

I come from many years and hours of fixed wing aircraft flying, so I'm not likely to perceive either an inability to go backwards or fly straight up as a great loss! And if I do get that urge, I can always use the conventional RC instead.

Helpful, thanks!

:)

TCS

Not true.

Tilt the MC 90deg in the pitch axis (point straight up or down) and give it some throttle, and it will climb or descend fully vertical, with no horizontal movement.

OK, thanks.

It strikes me as a bit odd that it can't be used to fly the FPV backwards, but that does seem to be the universal view.

But it will hover with the MC, yes? Isn't that what the "Brake" does?

Thx,

TCS
It replicates the control experience of a fixed-wing aircraft. What are the control movements/procedure to hover a simple airplane, and make it accomplish level flight backwards? 😁

You can hover with the MC, which deviates from the "spirit" of the experience, but utter faith to that control model isn't the point of the MC.

Given how it works, there isn't a motion available to indicate "fly backwards". There is the very easy and totally effective workaround of stopping in a hover, turn around, then fly forward. So, lack of true backwards flight isn't limiting in terms of getting trapped or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax