Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Motor upgrade

rktman

Reaction score
Who here is seriously thinking about doing it? Right now, I'm in the "going to" camp, after letting it have some time out there with the braver owners who feel they need it to improve the ring vortex tumble problem on tight turns in Manual.

That will probably never be a problem for me – I'm not that good in manual and realistically never will be – but I'd like more punch full throttle to ascend when climbing over things.

I worry about the ESCs. If nothing fries after this mod has been flown a while, I'm gonna do it.

Great video on the issue. Watch in reverse – there are chapters, start near the end with the Flight Test.

I am on the fence. Like you, I probably would never need the extra oomph with how I intend to fly it but there is no such thing as overkill. Has anyone actually done a speed test? Like, pinned it in a straight line with both motors in the same conditions to see if has more power? Or accelerates faster, with numbers as proof?

"but there is no such thing as overkill"

🤣 There's no doubt if we had crossed paths earlier in life, we'd be the best of friends.

Got interested in electric scooters during the pandemic, nothing less than the Minimotors Dualtron Thunder would do:

minimotors-dualtron-thunder-electric-scooter1_2000x.jpg

Dual 2700watt motors, 60mph top speed (I've soiled my underwear verifying this ONE TIME 😬), hydraulic brakes, ABS, regenerative braking, 80 mile max range, suspension, and a lot more.

Xiomi? Gotrax? Razor? Segway et al?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣😈😈😈

OriginalDoBo just did a YouTube video on these compared to the original motors and also used replacement propellers. I just got the new propellers but am not so sure of myself for soldering in new motors. Haven’t gotten out to test them yet but they look good in orange.

Good lord!! Crashing is NOT an option at that speed! lol
Average riding speed around town is 30-40 mph. I have the optional seat, and being able to go with traffic instead of being a slow target in the bike lane is golden.

Also, being able to beat most cars off the line is a thrill!

Reactions: Aaron Hokanson
OriginalDoBo just did a YouTube video on these compared to the original motors and also used replacement propellers. I just got the new propellers but am not so sure of myself for soldering in new motors. Haven’t gotten out to test them yet but they look good in orange.
Could you link the props?

For me, it's like my scooter (or Focus RS, which I won't ever be taking to the track): I want the power there for infrequent occasions I need it.

Here is another pretty convincing video using these motors. He seems to think it makes a noticable difference, sure seems to have more response. Doesn't fix the aerodynamic issues, though.
No, but at least in the video I posted he thinks it improves the recovery substantially.

Why is it that nobody asks what happens to your battery run time with this mod? Does anyone have any hard data?

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara
It's a good question, @Jeff A... I suspect the impact would be small, lost in the wide variation in run time in manual. That depends more on how your flying than having more power when you punch it.

"but there is no such thing as overkill"

🤣 There's no doubt if we had crossed paths earlier in life, we'd be the best of friends.

Got interested in electric scooters during the pandemic, nothing less than the Minimotors Dualtron Thunder would do:

minimotors-dualtron-thunder-electric-scooter1_2000x.jpg

Dual 2700watt motors, 60mph top speed (I've soiled my underwear verifying this ONE TIME 😬), hydraulic brakes, ABS, regenerative braking, 80 mile max range, suspension, and a lot more.

Xiomi? Gotrax? Razor? Segway et al?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣😈😈😈
View attachment 6079View attachment 6079

I like it... but not a scooter 😁 It'd be tough to ride that thing standing. One of the most fun things to do while riding is jump speed bumps, for which you gotta be standing.

Speed bump ahead? Cars slow down, I speed up!

The Thunder does have an optional seat, which I do have...

1afeapgweqf91.jpg

Interesting and good to see some accessories coming out for the Avata. Don't think I need to go faster, though a bit more maneuverability would not be a bad thing, though I doubt much can be done so long as I'm flying with the motion controller. I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to try manual mode.

Oh, and here's my Scoot...;)

IMG_2109.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: okw
Schweet ride, @Barbara!

As long as you're having a blast with the MC, who cares about Manual?

Still, the RC is very useful in N/S modes, something you may find you want in the future. Precise movement control in all directions allows for careful slow flight through complex environments indoors, and outdoor situations like forest, situations where the MC is very awkward.

While being "FPV" most people think of zooming around at speed, but there's a whole world of really cool flying around complicated tight spaces exploring/inspecting that can only be done with the RC.

Schweet ride, @Barbara!

As long as you're having a blast with the MC, who cares about Manual?

Still, the RC is very useful in N/S modes, something you may find you want in the future. Precise movement control in all directions allows for careful slow flight through complex environments indoors, and outdoor situations like forest, situations where the MC is very awkward.

While being "FPV" most people think of zooming around at speed, but there's a whole world of really cool flying around complicated tight spaces exploring/inspecting that can only be done with the RC.
Thanks rktman. She and I have gone many places together, though she seems to be getting heavier with the years.

Question about the RC. In Normal mode, does the RC behave similar to the remote for say, the Mavic 2? As in, when I let go of the sticks will it just hold position? I do miss being able to fly sideways or orbit a POI with the MC. Also, What other DJI drones is the controller compatible with? Not the Mavic 2 if I recall correctly.

In Normal mode, does the RC behave similar to the remote for say, the Mavic 2? As in, when I let go of the sticks will it just hold position?
Yup, exactly the same.

What other DJI drones is the controller compatible with?
Only the DJI FPV.

Don't think I need to go faster, though a bit more maneuverability would not be a bad thing, though I doubt much can be done so long as I'm flying with the motion controller. I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to try manual mode.
You're never going to need new motors unless flying manual mode since N/S are software-limited to way less than the stock config is capable of anyway.

Reactions: Barbara
Yup, exactly the same.

Only the DJI FPV.

You're never going to need new motors unless flying manual mode since N/S are software-limited to way less than the stock config is capable of anyway.
Thanks for the info, ...hmmm, gee, something else to spend money on. Just one more thing, honest. It never really ends, does it?

• Haha
Reactions: rktman and Kilrah

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax