Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI Avata Axisflying 3.5 upgrade // often "motor overloaded" error message

LMS_LX82

Reaction score
Greetings to the community! 🌟

I'm seeking some assistance with my DJI Avata and would love your insights. I recently went through the Axis 3.5 kit transformation, but encountered a hiccup as I accidentally broke the downward sensor cable (a replacement has been ordered and is on its way).

Upon connecting the drone, I've noticed that it's not displaying any major error messages (just the vision sensor). However, I'm concerned about its power and performance. It seems to resemble the original Avata but with additional weight, and the battery is depleting rapidly, providing only around 4 to 5 minutes of flight time in N, S, or M mode. After the first tests I´ve changed the battery wires again (16AWG on + and -) and the soldering work is very solid either on the motors and battery but the perfomance hasn´t improved so far.

My suspicion is directed towards a potential issue with one of the motors. Despite the RPM appearing equal across all motors, I observed that one of them lost a golden ring that is supposed to secure it. Without this ring, the motor can be easily popped out as it's held only by the magnetic force. Could this missing ring be the problem behind the battery drainage issue? Could the issue also be related to the downward sensor not being connected?

To provide a clearer picture, here is a test video showing the performance:

I would really appreciate any guidance or advice from the community :)

Many thanks in advance.

Motor data is recorded in the .DAT log file. In particular, motor current, volt and commanded thrust is recorded. With these data you should be able to determine which motor is overloaded. To retrieve the .DAT look here
.DAT available

You can attach the .DAT to a post here and I'll take a look. Or, you can use CsvView to see the data. CsvView can be obtained here

CsvView Downloads

Be sure to turn off syncing with DJI. If synching is on the .DAT log files are uploaded to DJI and then deleted from the mobile device

Reactions: okw
Motor data is recorded in the .DAT log file. In particular, motor current, volt and commanded thrust is recorded. With these data you should be able to determine which motor is overloaded. To retrieve the .DAT look here
.DAT available

You can attach the .DAT to a post here and I'll take a look. Or, you can use CsvView to see the data. CsvView can be obtained here

CsvView Downloads

Be sure to turn off syncing with DJI. If synching is on the .DAT log files are uploaded to DJI and then deleted from the mobile device
Hello my friend,

Thank you so much for your message :) I was able to sync the flight logs with airdata but I can´t get any valuable information about the motors performance. I´m attaching one of the DAT. files I was able to get with DJI Assistant. If my first thoughts are correct the issue should related to one of the front motors.

Since the file size is to large to attach it, here is a google drive link:

Thank you again for looking into this.
Ludo

Hello my friend,

Thank you so much for your message :) I was able to sync the flight logs with airdata but I can´t get any valuable information about the motors performance. I´m attaching one of the DAT. files I was able to get with DJI Assistant. If my first thoughts are correct the issue should related to one of the front motors.

Since the file size is to large to attach it, here is a google drive link:

Thank you again for looking into this.
Ludo
You need to use the method described here.
.DAT available

No other method will yield a useable .DAT. If the goggles are set to sync with DJI then the .DAT will be removed when the sync happens. The goggles must be set to not sync with DJI.

If you provide the AirData link I can tell you the name of the .DAT

You need to use the method described here.
.DAT available

No other method will yield a useable .DAT. If the goggles are set to sync with DJI then the .DAT will be removed when the sync happens. The goggles must be set to not sync with DJI.

If you provide the AirData link I can tell you the name of the .DAT
Thank you for driving me on this. I´ve followed the tutorial and got the flight log referring to the video I´ve shared on the original post. Here is the google drive link:

Can this one be used?

Thank you again.
Ludo

Hello again,

Yes sorry I didn´t turn off sync on the DJI Fly app. Now I got this DAT. file, can you get anything from this one?

Great thanks

Attachments

• FLY059-916-20231203103617.DAT
    232 KB · Views: 1
Hello again,

Yes sorry I didn´t turn off sync on the DJI Fly app. Now I got this DAT. file, can you get anything from this one?

Great thanks
Yes, but this .DAT comes from a power up with no flight. If you provide the AirData link I can tell you the name of the .DAT

Yes, but this .DAT comes from a power up with no flight. If you provide the AirData link I can tell you the name of the .DAT
I think I finally got the good one. At least I can get the motos performance through CSVview. It looks in fact that one of the front motors is not performing as the others. What do you think?

Cheers,
Ludo

Attachments

• FLY064-925-20231203130057.DAT
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
I think I finally got the good one. At least I can get the motos performance through CSVview. It looks in fact that one of the front motors is not performing as the others. What do you think?

Cheers,
Ludo
I don't see any evidence of motor load in the .DAT. Overload is usually indicated when commanded thrust (Motor:pPMSend) and current (Motor:Current) increase but speed (Motor:Speed) stays constant.

Here is an example from the .DAT where Motor:pPMSend and Motor:Current increase in the back two motors. But, it's not an overload because the speed also increased.
1701891116194.png

If you can provide the AirData link for the flight where the overload occurred then the file name for the .DAT can be determined.

Here you go. Thank you again :)
Ludo
That's the right .DAT. I took a detailed look and can not find anything in the .DAT that corresponds to the motor overload messages in the .txt. Quite puzzling. I'll continue to think about it some. But, for now, I have no answers for you.

That's the right .DAT. I took a detailed look and can not find anything in the .DAT that corresponds to the motor overload messages in the .txt. Quite puzzling. I'll continue to think about it some. But, for now, I have no answers for you.
Hello my friend, thank you so much for your support 🙏 I've replaced the 4 motors yesterday but still didn't have time to test the performance. I will test it today and let you know how did it go.

Cheers.
Ludo

Hello my friend, thank you so much for your support 🙏 I've replaced the 4 motors yesterday but still didn't have time to test the performance. I will test it today and let you know how did it go.

Cheers.
Ludo
In the meantime I've tested it and unfortunately I get the same performance, battery is depleting very fast and I often get the motor overload message either in Sport, Normal or Manual mode...At this point I don't know where the issue is coming from.

Thank you again for your help.
Ludo

Cheers.
Ludo
In the meantime I've tested it and unfortunately I get the same performance, battery is depleting very fast and I often get the motor overload message either in Sport, Normal or Manual mode...At this point I don't know where the issue is coming from.

Here is the Airdata link and DAT. logs for todays flight: Dec 8th, 2023 11:23AM | General / Overview | DJI Fly log 1.0.1 | Portugal | Airdata UAV

Thank you again for your help.

Attachments

• FLY084-971-20231208112254.DAT
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
The motor data contains fields that only DJI knows exactly what they mean. In particular, hms_error and dbg1 exist for each motor. I've checked several other Avata .DATs these values are always 0. In the 3 .DATs you provided these fields for the left back motor are not always 0.
1702051874848.png
In the first and third .DATs you provided there is good, but not perfect, correlation with the motor overload messages found in the .txts.

So it´s not related to the battery but only with the left back motor? In this case and since I´ve replaced all motors I don´t think it´s coming from the motor. I will need to swap the back motors and run further tests to see what happens.

Thank you again for your help on this :)

So it´s not related to the battery but only with the left back motor? In this case and since I´ve replaced all motors I don´t think it´s coming from the motor. I will need to swap the back motors and run further tests to see what happens.

Thank you again for your help on this :)
I agree it's not the motor. Why are you going to try swapping back motors. I suspect it's the ESC. Maybe the ESCs are marginal when connected to the Axis 3.5 upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18