Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

My Beta 65S whoops motors will not spin up... help!

graywoulf

Reaction score
Hey guys! It has been a while since I was here but I hope someone can help me with my Beta 65S. I have not flown it in a long while but decided it was time to have some fun with it. At first, I could not get it to bind with my TX-16S radio as I had forgotten the settings and I am still not sure if I did it right but it is connecting to the radio now as it is telling me that the telemetry is found. But my reason for coming here is that when I connect the quad to Betaflight, everything looks good as far as I can tell. All the modes as far as the arming and flight modes are working but I can't get the motors to spin up. I have tried some of the settings but it seems that nothing works.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Have you reflash again the firmware?
I have reflashed the firmware and installed the original factory CLI files as well. Now, I can't get the quad to bind to my TX-16S radio. I flashed the firmware with an older version from 11/2020 which is around the time I bought the quad. If I did not have so much money involved, I think I would throw it in the trash can. Thanks for responding by the way.

wait , have you try a new lipo, my experience does where tiny whoop motor won't work on poor 1S lipo.

1S lipo will easy to decay if longer time won't charge (After It has been play quite a and even won't charge easily)

P.S: One new 1S or 2S is cheap.

If Flight Controller is broken, why you not retain it further and doing day by day reseach to find the solution by asking local drone repair shop for troubleshooting tips.

Old Flight controller board may served a spare part well to new Flight controller.

I'd problem to my betaFlight flight Controller before and I took 2 week around and patience to find the solution liked this and finally able to solve the problem.

BetaFPV Flight controller received Well aknowledgement among public because of its durability and its price seem a little bit different.

Last edited:
wait , have you try a new lipo, my experience does where motor won't work on poor 1S lipo.
I have tried several batteries. The main thing is that the motors will not spin up in Betaflight using power from the USB cable when it is connected in that manner.

Then Have you check each pin of the power regulator or microprocessor (Control ESC) with Ground Continuity test pin (Digitermeter) on each side of board 1st, to find out shortage?

=> As reference

I do not have a way to do that right now. Besides, the FC board is tiny.

Attachments

• Beta65 S FC Board.jpg
    Beta65 S FC Board.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1
I use small male jumper pin clip with crocodile clip to test.

Another way you try just use Plain Water to wash the Flight Controller, air gun/blower to flow it dry.

Secondly use Isopropyl Alcohol to wash the Flight Controller, air gun/blower to flow it dry.

Suspect any dusty capture flow under microprocessor.

I use small male jumper pin clip with crocodile clip to test.

Another way you try just use Plain Water to wash the Flight Controller, air gun/blower to flow it dry.

Secondly use Isopropyl Alcohol to wash the Flight Controller, air gun/blower to flow it dry.

Suspect any dusty capture flow under microprocessor.
Thanks for the tips. I will clean the board with alcohol tomorrow.

If you can connect it to the BF configurator and see the tabs, there can be nothing wrong with your flight controller. Do not wash it with anything whatever. Dust & dibri on the flight control board cannot prevent your motors from running. The motors can never spin up on the USB connection alone. You must power the ESCs with a battery in order to spin the motors and the quad will never arm (spin them all up) with the USB cable connected in any case. Your OSD in the goggles should display what you need to know about any errors that might be involved such as throttle position, etc. .

Reactions: graywoulf
If you can connect it to the BF configurator and see the tabs, there can be nothing wrong with your flight controller. Do not wash it with anything whatever. Dust & dibri on the flight control board cannot prevent your motors from running. The motors can never spin up on the USB connection alone. You must power the ESCs with a battery in order to spin the motors and the quad will never arm (spin them all up) with the USB cable connected in any case. Your OSD in the goggles should display what you need to know about any errors that might be involved such as throttle position, etc. .
Thank you for your information. Since I first started this post, I was trying to do a fresh CLI dump and something went wrong. The quad would not connect to Betaflight at all so I did a firmware flash and fixed the connection issue but now I can't get the quad to bind to my TX-16S radio. When it is connected to BF, the voltage reading is jumping up and down. I have been in contact with a BetaFPV tech about this but his advice has yet to provide any positive results. I deleted and rebuilt the model in my radio but that did not help either. When I did the firmware flash, I used an older version (11/2020) which is around the time I bought the quad. The newest version was not compatible.

I don't know what else to try. And BTW, I did not clean the FC and now I understand why the motors would not spin while connected to the USB cable. Thanks for opening my eyes on that.

You said "When it is connected to BF, the voltage reading is jumping up and down." I presume both the USB & battery power are connected when this happens. If so, it would likely mean either the battery itself or perhaps the connector is causing too much resistance...or the voltage regulator supplying battery power to the flight controller is faulty. I've had this happen on more than one of the little boards. I know nothing about the TX-16S, but you should be able to the FC's SPI receiver into bind mode via the Receiver tab in BF.

You said "When it is connected to BF, the voltage reading is jumping up and down." I presume both the USB & battery power are connected when this happens. If so, it would likely mean either the battery itself or perhaps the connector is causing too much resistance...or the voltage regulator supplying battery power to the flight controller is faulty. I've had this happen on more than one of the little boards. I know nothing about the TX-16S, but you should be able to the FC's SPI receiver into bind mode via the Receiver tab in BF.
I did not have the battery attached at the same time the quad was connected via USB cable. There is a red LED on the FC board that used to flash that I think was an indicator to tell if the FC was armed or not armed. It no longer flashes. I think you may be correct with your observation of a faulty voltage regulator. I did have it bound to my radio a few days ago before everything went south and I did try binding it from within BF as well but that did not work either. I guess I will be needing a new FC board it looks like. Thanks a lot for your help.

I did not have the battery attached at the same time the quad was connected via USB cable.
In a lot of common setups the receiver is not being powered if the battery is not connected, that might be the reason for you not having any response from the radio.

In a lot of common setups the receiver is not being powered if the battery is not connected, that might be the reason for you not having any response from the radio.
Thank you very much for your input on this. I think that Dan has pretty much nailed the issue being the voltage regulator on the FC board. I am going to write this board off and look for a replacement for it.

So, to finish up this thread. I bought a new FC board for the quad and had it flying but the connector block for the FPV cam did not come with the new board so I transferred the connector from the old board to the new one. After that, the new FC fried itself so I am done with this quad.

I thank everyone for their help and advice.

Take care.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax