Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New 85mm Whoop Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 3641
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3641

I have only done a hover test indoors so far but it feels pretty good and got over 8-1/2 min flight time on a 850mAh 1S.

z01.jpg

z02.jpg

z03.jpg

PARTS
~~~~
Frame - URUAV UR85/UR85HD 85mm - 8.5g
Motors - BetaFPV 1102 18000Kv - 3g ea
Props - HQ Prop Durable T2x2x4 Quad-Blade 2" - 0.8g ea
FC - HappyModel CrazyBee X V2.2 F4 1-2S AIO Whoop Flight Controller (F4 FC / 5A 4in1 ESC / 25-200mW VTX / FrSky RX) - 4.4g
Camera - Caddx Ant Nano 1200TVL CMOS PAL/NTSC FPV (1.8mm) - 2g
Canopy - HappyModel Crux3 - 1.4g
Power Connector - 22AWG Solid Pin Whoop Pigtail Connector - PH2.0 - 1.2g

Weight W/O battery - 32.7g

Battery - 1S 850mAh (RDQ) - 16.6g
Flight Time - Over 8 Min (Above Battery)
Hover - 40% Throttle

It will be a couple of days before the weather will let me try it outside so I will post back after some actual flight time on how it actually flies...

I am using the FC's stock PIDs and really only set my rates on it. It flies really well and I like this particular frame. The height of the ducts are a little shorter than typically found in a whoop frame. It seems to have less drag than the other frames I tried and so far have not had any prop wash problems. I've only had a hand full of flights and don't really do stunt flying but I did have that problem with the other 85mm frames I tried (they did have a different FC).

I tried using a 2S battery as it is a 1-2S FC, and the second I armed it, it started straight up with no throttle input. I had to disarm and let it fall back down into a bush. I have a feeling it has different PID/Rate settings sort of like the Tinyhawk 2 I have does. I have to check into that as it should be very responsive on 2S.
I have checked on this since, and no matter what it just takes off when armed.
The onboard RX and VTX are OK for what they are but I do get a fair amount of interference in the VTX compared to some others I have used.

Here is a vid clip from 2 flights. The first part is the same day I put it together but was just after sunset and the camera was really cranking up the light level. It can get a little washed out in lower light. The end has some from during the day.

I have never tried to power loop anything, just some loops here and there. Decided if I was going to try power looping something, why not myself? Never actually made it but got close a few times. I must say the quad is holding up well as it was getting crashed over, and over, and over... and kept on ticking.

Actual flight times I am getting around five plus minutes on a 650mAh and seven plus minutes on a 850mAh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I decided to try a Runcam Split 4 Nano 4K I have sitting here to see how that works out. Now I really wish I could get it to work on 2S...

85mm 1S-4K.jpg

This is now my favorite quad to fly. I am going to order another couple of these frames to experiment with as it is the perfect balance between flexibility and rigidity.
This is the raw dvr footage without any processing. It was recorded at 2.7k 60fps and exported at 1080p 30fps.

Reactions: okw
Down the road update:

The Runcam Split 4 Nano was cool and the quad was a little sluggish but flyable. The problem was when the battery got lower there did not seem to be enough amperage left and the recording would stop and just after that, the camera would go black.
I have now done a rebuild on it mostly because the "Happymodel Crazybee FC" crapped out. I do have to add that it was crashed dozens of times. First, the RX died, so I wired up a R-XSR which worked, but then a ESC died... So now its junk. It really had poor range on the VTX and RX anyway. The highest I saw the RSSI was about 70 and that was within about 10 to 20 feet away.
I had a BetaFPV FC here waiting to go into a 65mm whoop build so I used it for this instead. I'm hoping the BetaFPV will hold up as I have had the RX die on three out of three FC's that had built in frSky RX in the past. This one uses external RX, and VTX, so I'm hoping for the best.
I went with a R-XSR (have a couple extras sitting here) for the RX, and a TBS Unify Pro32 Nano (running at 400mW) for the VTX.
I usually run the antennas out the back, but this time tried running them out the sides. This way, no matter what the yaw position is, there is always at least one antenna with unblocked LOS.
I tried a Foxeer toothless 2 Nano camera on another build and like it much better than the Runcam 2 Nano's that I have a bunch of. It has a 1/2" sensor and gives much better detail in the shadowed areas. It also weighs the same as the Runcam so I will be replacing all of then with the Toothless 2.
Today we have 15mph winds with gusts to 30mph, so I am waiting to give it its maiden flight with the rebuild.
Just for fun, I did fly my Moblite7 that I moved to a open prop carbon fiber frame in the wind and what an experience. I was able to fly a whole pack but it was quite a challenge.

85mm01.png

85mm02.png

Parts of rebuild
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frame - URUAV UR85/UR85HD 85mm - 8.5g
Motors - BetaFPV 1102 18000Kv - 3g ea
Props - HQ Prop Durable T2x2x4 Quad-Blade 2" - 0.8g ea
FC - BetaFPV F4 1-2S AIO - 4.5g
RX - FrSky R-XSR 2.4GHz Micro Receiver - 1.5g
VTX - TBS Unify Pro32 Nano 25mW, 100mW, 400mW - 1g
Camera - Foxeer Toothless 2 Nano 1200TVL 1/2" sensor CMOS 4:3/16:9 PAL/NTSC (1.8mm) - 3.1g
Canopy - Eachine DE65 PRO Canopy - 1.3g
Power Connector - 22AWG Solid Pin Whoop Pigtail Connector - PH2.0 - 1.2g

Weight W/O battery - 36.3g

Reactions: okw

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax