Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New guy questions

Yahooooooo!!!! Got it flying. Need practice but it flies. I turned the accelerometer off and put it in airmode. Wasn't sure how to switch the pid update to 8k or bring the rates up to around 600. I'll keep trying to figure that out.
I also set it to profile 2, rateprofile 4. Not sure if that's right but I guessed.

Last edited:
Sweet!

This is where you'll set your pid loop frequency:
trashcan03.jpg

In this image it's set to 8k over 2k (gyro and pid) You want 8k/8k to give you the best stability.

The rates are in the pids tab:
betaflight-Setup-configurator-pid-tuning-1024x774.jpg

These are effected by the RC rate, Super rate, and RC expo columns, this will change how the craft handles in each axis. It looks like a lot, but you can get a quick breakdown here:

Right now, throttle management is going to be key. Just get it in the air and find a spot where you can go in a nice circle, maybe turn around and go the other way. These rates will make it more or less sensitive to the sticks, but since you're not even used to the sticks yet, you might wait until you have a better feel for it.

Reactions: tevek
UPDATE: Been flying line-of-site and have a pretty good handle on control. Got the goggles set up, but haven't flown FPV yet. Still unsure about flying without seeing the bird.
Knocked the camera out of position but took it apart and got that fixed.
I saw this video about setting the "curves" in th radio.
Not sure about the difference between doing that and adjusting the PID's, so I didn't do either. I might try other profiles too.

PIDs effect how the flight controller corrects the craft, while the rates effect how the pilot controls the craft.
The rate number is in degrees per second, so higher numbers result in a faster spin in the specified axis. I think the tinyhawk starts around 425. I fly around 600-800

Yes, you can also create a throttle curve on the controller, there's an endless rabbit hole there in fact and it goes far beyond me. I feel like it's easier to set up my curves in betaflight

I was the same way starting FPV because it feels like you're flying through a keyhole. The trick is movement; without movement it's near impossible to tell distance through a single lens.

The beauty of that tinyhawk is that you can bash it around. If you've got the room inside, just put the important pictures away, put the goggles on, and let her rip! It's too light to break windows or pennants. Worst you can do is get it tangled in hair :)

I had my camera pop loose too. You can fix it without taking off the canopy just applying leverage, or a tiny drop of glue will keep it in place

Last edited:
Try going a little slower and concentrating on accuracy. I flipped a stool upside down on the counter and practiced flying through it. Inside is really where it's at with these 1s micros

Decided to try FPV with the goggles today. I had adjusted the PID's and flew a battery line of site and it seemed pretty stable. Went to an open field and asked my wife to keep an eye on it since I'd be wearing the goggles. Took off an flew a bit, then it crashed.

OK where is it? She says it went behind a tree and disappeared! What!!!

Looked for an hour but no good. Got in the car and started driving away, then thought about the last thing i saw which was a soccer goal. There were 3 in the field and nowhere near the tree. Stopped to check and sure enough, got it.

Moral of the story, YES set a stool upside down indoors and practice there. :oops:

Reactions: rtkDarling
Another good trick is to use the DVR function on the goggles. You can review the flight footage for landmarks and get a better sense of where you go down.

You can also set up an ESC beeper. ( I think the tinyhawk can do this)

You can skip the beginning about BLheli and just do the Betaflight part, should just be a few checkboxes. If you add another switch to the mixer on your controller, you'll be able to turn on a beeper with it. It's not super loud, but it can help in tall grass and bushes

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I remember those days of total frustration.......... not knowing what to do next.....felt so alone.............. Wait that was last week!
download "FPV AIR 2" I think its a much better simulator for beginners and it will really improve your flying rapidly. Jumping into "acro mode" is the best way to learn without creating any bad habits but it's also the shortest path to complete and total frustration. Depending on your age and dexterity and what your ultimate goal is try level mode and then switch to horizontal mode to do flips and rolls. I read you direct a phantom. The gps and barometer and ground sensors do the flying you're merely the flight director. FPV is a whole new world.
I'm 72 years old and try to fly outside 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time its in the house I've racked up 3 kills in the last year.........2 picture frames and one vase. My 85mm quad has been banned from flying in the house. My wife doesn't let me hover the 5 inchers (ROOSTER and TYRO 109)in the house.
Good luck and try to keep the shiny side up.

Last edited:
Having a spotter will save you from losing your quad (and you will) in tall grass and bushes. Palm trees are a b*t*h to get out of. I weaved when I should have bobbed. (reversing the motor rotation to outbound does help)
Don't get overly fond of any one quad..............it only makes it worse when you bring home the remaining pieces.

I remember those days of total frustration.......... not knowing what to do next.....felt so alone.............. Wait that was last week!
download "FPV AIR 2" I think its a much better simulator for beginners and it will really improve your flying rapidly. Jumping into "acro mode" is the best way to learn without creating any bad habits but it's also the shortest path to complete and total frustration. Depending on your age and dexterity and what your ultimate goal is try level mode and then switch to horizontal mode to do flips and rolls. I read you direct a phantom. The gps and barometer and ground sensors do the flying you're merely the flight director. FPV is a whole new world.
I'm 73 years old and try to fly outside 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time its in the house I've racked up 3 kills in the last year.........2 picture frames and one vase. My 85mm quad has been banned from flying in the house. My wife doesn't let me hover the 5 inchers (ROOSTER and TYRO 109)in the house.
Good luck and try to keep the shiny side up.
Thank you. I have been staying on the VELOCIDRONE SIM this morning and I think I need to master a sim before I keep crashing my Tinyhawk. I’ll check out FPV Air 2 as you suggest also.
Yes, the P4 flies itself which is fine for my commercial work but FPV is definitely a skill to master. I could have just gotten the DJI goggles, but mastering the skill is more fun. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate everyone’s help. When I’m good at this we’ll all feel proud. Haha

All of a sudden one day you'll pickup your controller and the Tiny Hawk will follow your every command.
Another good one to fly indoors is the Eachine TRASHCAN. It too is a confidence builder.
We all agree with you FPV is where the RUSH is. My wife says I'm obsessed.........and she right (as usual). I get as much pleasure out of building as I do flying. Gone through a lot of FC's and vTX's. Gotta have OSD and sound in my FPVbuds.

The FPV AIR 2 sim is a confidence builder. Much better controlability.
If turn down the tinyhawk pids to around 500 and the max angle to 35 and fly indoors you should be able to stay in the air for at least 30 seconds hahahah just kidding (personal reflections from years gone by)

Yeah, not moving is very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember the first time I flew from my office through the kitchen into the living room and back through the office into the kitchen with out hitting anything or bouncing off the ceiling.
It felt good!

Seriously, depending on your goggles and diversity you don't want to be holding your head down or wandering around like Steve Wonder for the best signal reception.

Hey Roadking!

Glad that you're having fun!

Reading through these posts I had a couple of thoughts:

I know everyone says not to fly in stabilized mode, BUT, indoors, I fly in stabilized mode most of the time, and outdoors I am in air/acro mode all the time. I will switch to air mode inside sometimes, but it's fun to shoot TINY gaps in stabilized mode and I don't tend to slam into heirlooms (as much).

Please note that although my indoor quad (Happymodel Snapper 7) flies great outside, I try to keep it inside. I tend to fly it way slower inside so it gets less "trauma" when I hammer it into things. In addition, when it gets lost in the grass, or heaven forbid the woods, it's REALLY hard to find. I have a bigger, but still sub 250g, outdoor drone, the Leader 3SE, and i LOVE it.

Regarding the camera popping out/wiggling around after a crash, I had the same problem. Strategic use of hot glue totally eliminated the problem. If you or a family member crafts, you already have the glue gun. If not, they are very cheap at department/box/craft stores.if you screw up you can easily peel the glue off.

I use FPV Freerider as a simulator and I have been happy with it.

On the topic of LOS vs FPV, I RARELY fly without the goggles. Line of sight in acro/air mode is VERY hard for me, so I don't even bother. FPV is a blast. As far as safety goes, if I significantly lose the video signal I'm cutting power immediately, so I really don't have a reason for LOS.

Keep having fun and let us know about your next drone purchase because you are already addicted. There is no 7 step process for FPV flight so you just have to ride the dragon until you totally run out of money!

Happy Flying!

Peter T

ps - Do you own a soldering station yet? If not, you will soon!

Reactions: rtkDarling

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax