Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newbie looking for google recomendations

mp5zoomzoom

Reaction score
I'm new to fpv and looking to build my first quad. What entry level goggles do you recommend? How do you tell if a goggle is compatible with a transmitter?

Hi mp5. Goggles are one of those touchy subjects. It depends on a lot of factors. Budget probably being the biggest one. Style, (box type or fatshark type) do you use reading glasses? Have you flown before to see if you think you will stick with it?
Ideally you would want to try a pair or two before you outlay potentially hundreds of dollars to find out they don't fit well.
Is there a hobby shop that sells fpv gear near you? Or a fpv racing club anywhere you could maybe check out?
Let us know how you get on.
Wayne.
Oh and welcome to the forum.

Hi mp5. Goggles are one of those touchy subjects. It depends on a lot of factors. Budget probably being the biggest one. Style, (box type or fatshark type) do you use reading glasses? Have you flown before to see if you think you will stick with it?
Ideally you would want to try a pair or two before you outlay potentially hundreds of dollars to find out they don't fit well.
Is there a hobby shop that sells fpv gear near you? Or a fpv racing club anywhere you could maybe check out?
Let us know how you get on.
Wayne.
Oh and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply. Initially i think budget will be a factor, where I don't know what I'll like, i'm hesitant to invest too much into it. I do wear glasses, but not for reading. I have flown non fpv micros some and love it. I'm fairly certain i will stick with it for a while. I've looked and can't find any hobby shops in my area or any clubs. Do you have any recommendation on how to find these?
I'll keep looking for any club events or hobby shops, maybe i need to expand my search area.

Thanks.

Where are you located? Some of our members may be able to help out with local clubs.
That would be awesome. I'm located in northern Utah. Closest city is Logan, Utah. I wouldn't mind a drive if anyone knows of any club meets or hobby shops anywhere along the Wasatch Front, Salt Lake, or even into southern Idaho.

Here's a reasonable approach: grab a set of budget box goggles to use to test the waters and see if you fall in love with FPV. As you use these, you can do research to figure out exactly which goggles will best fit your individual parameters of size, fit, budget, style, etc. If you don't love or stick with FPV, you'll only be out the cost of the cheaper set of goggle. But if you do love it (and we all know you will), when you upgrade in the near future, you've got a back up set of goggles in case your new set fails and, maybe even more importantly, you have a set of "passenger" goggles that you can use to let other folks "watch" your flight. I've got a set of box goggles that I use for passenger goggles when I take non-pilots out with me to "check it out" and people really get a kick out of it. Great way to promote the hobby. Also, another benefit of the box goggles is the big screen is easier to use than "fat shark" type goggles when "bench testing" your VTX or camera or whatever when are working on builds or repairs.

An additional consideration is "service after the sale." While I cannot personally vouch for this, word on the street that there are loads of great goggles out there in the $300-$350 range but most of the manufacturers with goggles in that price range have minimal or non-existant customer service should you run into a problem. Supposedly (again, I can't vouch personally), Fat Shark's customer service is on point.

Also, keep in mind that some goggles come with the receivers built in (meaning they are ready to go "out of the box") while some of the higher end Fat Sharks and other high end models require an additional purchase of a receiver module. This can add in the neighborhood of $50-$150 to the price before you can use them. Just something to be aware of as you shop.

Finally, consider a battery with your purchase. Some come with batteries, some don't. Along with the battery, make sure you have or purchase the correct connector you will need to charge that battery (many come with "barrel-type" connectors that might not have come with your charger). Also, consider where the battery is placed. . .is it in the strap right by your temple or is it on the back of the strap? In the latter case, you'l need a short (maybe 6") extension for that barrel plug.

With regards to compatibility: your VTX (video transmitter) can be set to any of a number of channels and goggles can "tune in" to many channels (usually around 48 different channels). So it's just a matter of tuning into the right feed. IF you take your goggles to an FPV race, you can click through the channels on your goggles to "watch" the race from the viewpoint of the pilots. With regards to compatibility, I think you are thinking about the RC radio that you use to control/fly the quad. Those are proprietary, so you need to make sure get get a frsky (pronounced "Free sky") receiver for your quad if you have a Frsky radio. Other standards are Flysky, Spectrum, etc. Those just need to match your radio.

Last edited:
Here’s my input. I have the Eachine EV800D box goggle. You can check em out here. Eachine EV800D 5.8G 40CH Diversity FPV Goggles with DVR

They are $100 and they work really well for me. Great starter goggles. I’m saving for the new Fatsharks that came out as I want something a little nicer and more compact but I love the ones I have now.

Reactions: rtkDarling
Here’s my input. I have the Eachine EV800D box goggle. You can check em out here. Eachine EV800D 5.8G 40CH Diversity FPV Goggles with DVR

They are $100 and they work really well for me. Great starter goggles. I’m saving for the new Fatsharks that came out as I want something a little nicer and more compact but I love the ones I have now.
How about a list of quality box goggles that allow the end user to input their phone for viewing?? Thanks in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kronk