Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Question about Camera Stabilization modes

Barbara

Reaction score
Total newbie to FPV here, trying to understand the two camera stabilization modes "Rocksteady" and "Horizonsteady". The manuals don't really define them or their differences very well, and I'm not really finding much on the inter-web. I understand that there is also a third way to stabilize video by using gyro/accelerometer data and third party software.

Any information or links would be greatly appreciated.

Horizonsteady does just that, keeps horizon flat like a Mavic or such. Rocksteady is the "normal" smoothing you'd expect.

Thanks, okay, I get the Horizonsteady then. I'm still not entirely sure about rocksteady. From the little footage of my own I have, it looks like it allows roll, but smooths out both the roll and pitch movements to some degree.

Guess I'll just have to out and do some more flying. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my extra batteries, and it's suppose to rain for the next three days :eek:(

Keep in mind, these modes work on the camera recording that records to the SD Card in the drone. A good test to see what I mean is record a flight to the card in the drone while fling HorizonSteady. Assuming you had the menu setup to record to the goggles at the same time, you will see the drone do flat turns in the movie recorded in the drone but from the same flight you see the movie recorded in the goggles, you will see the drone is more stable looking than the goggles.

HS looks to make the Avata suitable for many applications that would otherwise require a camera drone, and it's good enough.

Before any of you jump down my throat and start hyperventilating about better/larger sensors, better low light performance etc. blah blah blah on camera drones, let's kill that argument in it's infancy: YES. TRUE.

Doesn't change the fact that there is more overlap now, and the Avata brings capabilities to the cinematic space that weren't there even with existing cinewhoops.

Just the ability to precisely hover and stay put is almost (and for practical purposes a new) ability for a cinewhoop. In N mode, precision control at slow speeds, being able to stop and hover opens fantastic new choreography for indoor tours.

Reactions: Barbara

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas