Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

UPDATED!! Should you give up your Mavic or current FPV for the new DJI FPV drone?

If I currently fly FPV what does this drone give me that I don't already have?

Unfortunately, not a whole lot to be honest. The performance is great but still not as good as pure FPV drones. The extreme low latency in a true racing drone still offers better response and handling. The gimbal, 4k camera and software stabilization are great but nothing that special and not interesting for FPV freestyle or racing. Flying in low latency mode on the new FPV drone means your DVR is unusable as the DVR video is also forced into low latency mode and therefore blurry on the sides. High quality mode is great for DVR but adds latency and therefore the drone doesn’t feel as responsive. And finally, you can’t crash it without destroying it like a typical carbon fiber FPV drone. The durability of the new DJI FPV drone can not compare to that of a carbon fiber racing drone. If you fly fast and agressively, you will crash. So really, unless you want a ready to fly all in one drone you can grab and go fly in low to medium risk environments when all your other drones are on the bench, then I don’t see a whole lot here for existing FPV droners.

One thing that *some* existing FPV pilots might want by getting the DJI FPV... the one button emergency stop / normal / sport mode. Not so much because they want to actually fly in those modes but in a conventional (ie. every FPV until now) FPV you really can't auto-hover or take your hands off the sticks. Once you start flying there is no stopping. The DJI FPV lets the pilots setup a run for a video shot, pause in the air, even take the googles off... then make the run. Or if someone walks up to you while flying to ask about the drone... pause, talk to them. Get confused and disoriented... pause. Want to hand catch the drone because of terrain in the area... switch to normal mode and hover etc.

Now this won't make someone get a DJI FPV for acro/freestyle... too many downsides obviously, but it might complement the collection when you are using a drone to take dynamic cinematic footage of the landscape or buildings and want the flexibility of a drone that can switch back and forth in its behavior to help you make the flight a success without the stress.

On a positive note, the shell does a decent job of keeping out snow. Don't ask! When is spring coming? When will we have leaves on the trees again?
I guess it depends where you are. Spring here is now.. leaves are coming out and everything is budding!! YAY!!

The more I watch videos and the more I read about how this is neither a great cinematic drone or a great FPV "racer" the more I like the idea of it!! I like my MA2 but it does sometimes get boring, unless I'm in the woods dodging trees and branches. I believe I'm getting closer.. I am not a cinematographer nor am I a racer, I'm just an old retired guy looking for a bit of fun. I'm not looking to get into racing/crashing/building/fixing just the flying part.. so we'll see..
Thanks for the evaluation and incites.

Reactions: Halifax and Bonzo
The more I watch videos and the more I read about how this is neither a great cinematic drone or a great FPV "racer" the more I like the idea of it!! I like my MA2 but it does sometimes get boring, unless I'm in the woods dodging trees and branches. I believe I'm getting closer.. I am not a cinematographer nor am I a racer, I'm just an old retired guy looking for a bit of fun. I'm not looking to get into racing/crashing/building/fixing just the flying part.. so we'll see..
You'll love it mate! It's a great sensation coming from various Mavics. I am starting to get quite alright on the sim, doing tricks in real life is still limited to rolls, loopings and immelmans, but it's so much fun to do! You'll love it to bits if you are not too nervous flying drones anyway. (I for myself can get a bit anxious, just scared to wreck everything)

Reactions: A.O.
There's that untapped market I was talking about...

Great write up and thanks for the comparisons. So perhaps the new FPV goggles would work with a Mavic 3, assuming ocusync 3? Like you were mentioning it seems ocusync 3 would be incorporated into the new drones(Mavic). I‘d be willing to get a FPV setup that works across multiple drones. Thoughts?

Great write up and thanks for the comparisons. So perhaps the new FPV goggles would work with a Mavic 3, assuming ocusync 3? Like you were mentioning it seems ocusync 3 would be incorporated into the new drones(Mavic). I‘d be willing to get a FPV setup that works across multiple drones. Thoughts?
Perhaps, but DJI has a terrible track record when it comes to compatibility. Just look at the goggles, the goggles RE and the smart controller. Super accessories that have been compatible with random models only. I am as well hoping that the fpv goggles v2 and the motion controller will be compatible with future Mavic models, but I am not holding my breath...

Yep DJI compatibility is a mess, and you can't assume that the same "link type" means things will work together.

The Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 are Ocusync 2 but they don't work with either the white or black goggles that work with other Ocusync 2 aircraft. And the MA2 got smart controller support but somehow not the mini2.

DJI has been poor at providing consistent support across platforms and no one really knows other than the development team what is actually coming, but there is a lot of industry pressure and demand for FPV capabilities across many DJI product lines including some professional series products. The fact remains that the Goggles v2 with O3 provide an ideal foundation to address the market demands. Now whether or not DJI complies and offers these capabilities is another story, but I think additional market pressure will likely lead to more integration of the v2 goggles in some key products.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You'll love it mate! It's a great sensation coming from various Mavics. I am starting to get quite alright on the sim, doing tricks in real life is still limited to rolls, loopings and immelmans, but it's so much fun to do! You'll love it to bits if you are not too nervous flying drones anyway. (I for myself can get a bit anxious, just scared to wreck everything)
I just ordered mine, supposed to be here Saturday!

And as per the headline of this thread "should you give up your current Mavic or FPV for this drone" , don't know if I should have or not... but I guess I just did!!:D:eek:

Awesome! Lookin forward to your first reports of flying it. You’re going to be in for a treat!
Here's a quick report for you.. What A nice drone! Was a bit leery of the goggle view at first not being able glance up at the drone to get its/my bearings but that went away pretty quick. got a little queasy a couple times but nothing too bad. Definitely a noticeably shorter flight time than my MA2 but I understand its a trade off power/speed for battery life. Definitely a more "fun" experience! I do have to take the goggles off to land in order to hit my landing pad, on the MA2 I could point the camera straight down to zero in on the pad but this one wont do it, I am sure I'll get better with time though. I've flown 5 batteries so far and have NO regrets making the change... so much fun!

Flying at my place II

Here's a quick report for you.. What A nice drone! Was a bit leery of the goggle view at first not being able glance up at the drone to get its/my bearings but that went away pretty quick. got a little queasy a couple times but nothing too bad. Definitely a noticeably shorter flight time than my MA2 but I understand its a trade off power/speed for battery life. Definitely a more "fun" experience! I do have to take the goggles off to land in order to hit my landing pad, on the MA2 I could point the camera straight down to zero in on the pad but this one wont do it, I am sure I'll get better with time though. I've flown 5 batteries so far and have NO regrets making the change... so much fun!

Flying at my place II
Nice! You’ve got yourself a nice place as well!

Reactions: Halifax
Is there an FPV build guide that u might recommend? I just need to figure out the radio part of an FPV drone.

Is there an FPV build guide that u might recommend? I just need to figure out the radio part of an FPV drone.
Go up to the top section of the forum, those builders live up there. Mine (DJI FPV) came as a package and I just fly. There are some very knowledgeable builders here in that section.

Flying at my place II
Glad you like your FPV drone! I LOVE MINE! If you really want to lower the stress and enjoy the flying, try the Motion Controller! WOW ? what a difference ?
I wish it would work with the MA2! It also makes landing on the pad much easier! Just point the circle ⭕ on the pad and fly there! When you get above the pad, just long press the red button and the drone lands itself! LOVE IT!❤️?

Glad you like your FPV drone! I LOVE MINE! If you really want to lower the stress and enjoy the flying, try the Motion Controller! WOW ? what a difference ?
I wish it would work with the MA2! It also makes landing on the pad much easier! Just point the circle ⭕ on the pad and fly there! When you get above the pad, just long press the red button and the drone lands itself! LOVE IT!❤️?
I bought the MC when I originally bought the set Up, didn’t like it much and sent it back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agevorgi