Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

REMOTE ID IS HERE! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH YOUR OLD DRONE IN 2022?

Rah

Reaction score
FAA Remote ID Final Ruling for Drones Explained

IF the faa has its way our current drones will not be allowed to fly in middle or late 2022.
what are you going to do with your old drone when you are not allowed to fly it anymore?
or to add a REMOTE ID device to it makes it not worth it or expensive or cumbersome to fly.
i have a dji fpv drone that i doubt will fly well with a box attached to it.

what is new is that they made it official and gave a date before it was rumor

So are they going to remote ground ALL older drones without the ID? It would be a huge policing challenge to track down the millions of drones out there without!

Agreed, unless they somehow get DJI to ground them.
As long as you continue to run legacy app versions, legacy firmware and legacy Operating Systems (I use iOS), they can't touch it. All the Naziware was slipped into later versions of software/firmware. I'm like 10 versions behind on everything. Add to the pile that my drone is never connected to my iPad when my iPad is connected to the Internet for a double layer of protection. I cache basemaps and SRTM (terrain) data pre-mission and don't connect my drone to the iPad until I'm on the jobsite. So even if there is somehow some kind of latent back-door into my legacy apps, there's no way to get there if I cut the cord.

I've taken this a step further with my latest iPad purchase (an NOS 12.9" Gen 3 running iOS 13.2.2) by not installing ANY DJI software on it.

D

FAA Remote ID Final Ruling for Drones Explained

IF the faa has its way our current drones will not be allowed to fly in middle or late 2022.
what are you going to do with your old drone when you are not allowed to fly it anymore?
or to add a REMOTE ID device to it makes it not worth it or expensive or cumbersome to fly.
i have a dji fpv drone that i doubt will fly well with a box attached to it.
All current DJI drones already have a version of Remote ID installed. There is also the possibility that the software can run through your mobile device. The Fly App, for example, already knows where your drone is, transmitting that information to a Remote ID server would be easy. The situation isn't as dire as so many want to paint it. There are way too many Paul Reveres and Chicken Littles in this hobby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of regulation. Some of my previous forum bans have come from fighting over NFZs and regulations. Unfortunately, my job has placed me in a position where I see the other side of it now. 3 drones have been confiscated in the last month or so at out local Airport for flying close to the tarmac or on airport property. One was hovering by an aircraft attempting to get a shot of a kid off to visit grandma! True Story. If the FAA introduced rules that required a registration to buy a drone, I'd struggle to argue against it at this point.

Basically, I've lost the ability to maintain my previous mindset that "we are responsible pilots in the drone community and can regulate ourselves..." Nope. Anyone can stroll into Best Buy and purchase a drone that can fly miles away from the operator, weighing over 1.5 lbs, at almost 100mph. Heck, anyone that shops at Wal-Mart can stroll in and buy a drone... think about that as you watch "People of Wal-Mart" videos.

My plan is to keep a calm demeanor, with my eyes open and see what happens. Quite frankly, this type of regulation is almost impossible to enforce. Unless they can coerce them by attaching it to their FCC permits. I also find it interesting that almost all of the major shipping companies, including Amazon have withdrawn their applications for BVLOS permits. I guess we'll see where this goes.

Reactions: BigSteel
Seems my DJI FPV isn't connected to the app/phone anyway and the only place I've ever flown it is at home above my property. so I'm guessing it may not effect me much anyway.

How can they possibly enforce the use of remote ID devices? I fly my Spark just for fun around my house and other remote areas. I do not use any cellular connections with my iPad Mini 4 as well. I cannot imagine that the local sherriff's department deputies give a crap about whether or not I am compliant flying in these areas.

All current DJI drones already have a version of Remote ID installed. There is also the possibility that the software can run through your mobile device. The Fly App, for example, already knows where your drone is, transmitting that information to a Remote ID server would be easy. The situation isn't as dire as so many want to paint it. There are way too many Paul Reveres and Chicken Littles in this hobby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of regulation. Some of my previous forum bans have come from fighting over NFZs and regulations. Unfortunately, my job has placed me in a position where I see the other side of it now. 3 drones have been confiscated in the last month or so at out local Airport for flying close to the tarmac or on airport property. One was hovering by an aircraft attempting to get a shot of a kid off to visit grandma! True Story. If the FAA introduced rules that required a registration to buy a drone, I'd struggle to argue against it at this point.

Basically, I've lost the ability to maintain my previous mindset that "we are responsible pilots in the drone community and can regulate ourselves..." Nope. Anyone can stroll into Best Buy and purchase a drone that can fly miles away from the operator, weighing over 1.5 lbs, at almost 100mph. Heck, anyone that shops at Wal-Mart can stroll in and buy a drone... think about that as you watch "People of Wal-Mart" videos.

My plan is to keep a calm demeanor, with my eyes open and see what happens. Quite frankly, this type of regulation is almost impossible to enforce. Unless they can coerce them by attaching it to their FCC permits. I also find it interesting that almost all of the major shipping companies, including Amazon have withdrawn their applications for BVLOS permits. I guess we'll see where this goes.
When he said "Best Buy shopper," I raised an eyebrow with concern. But when he said "WalMart shopper," my blood ran ice cold with terror.

Nicely put. I couldn't agree more. I, also, have kind of morphed toward the "maybe some regulation on these drones isn't a bad idea."

D

Like everything else. Rules have to be established because there are some idiots out there. 😙
I totally agree! I am not opposed to having rules and regulations but the remote ID thing in my opinion is way overboard for the pilots that fly any aircraft just for fun in safe manner. As I perceive the remote ID issue, I would have to have a device even on my back yard homemade foamie planes. That is too much regulation in my book.

And as for the "Walmart shoppers", they scare me too. 🤪

When he said "Best Buy shopper," I raised an eyebrow with concern. But when he said "WalMart shopper," my blood ran ice cold with terror.

Nicely put. I couldn't agree more. I, also, have kind of morphed toward the "maybe some regulation on these drones isn't a bad idea."

D
Yea is sad but at some point reality has to sink in. I started building and flying drones about 10 years ago. I was literally the only person I knew that did. Now I see them all the time. I don't think it's a "problem" yet but if you're going to do something about it, now is the time.

Reactions: Noobnoobnoob
Remote Id went into effect last April 2021. They are giving manufacturers 24 months ( April 2023 ) to incorporate Remote Id in their drones and 36 months ( 2024) for the drone public to comply. I think it will only affect drones with 1. GPS and 2. Drones with Geo fencing.......I think. and if you are caught flying a drone that does not have geo fencing or GPS. This is all so Amazon can have drone deliveries. So what will happen to FPV drones that use radio signals and no gps. That is why I am here trying to find my way to 2024. I have a DJI Spark that i am totally addicted to flying. I came from an era when in High School we did not have computers , calculators...i had a slide rule. I remember the day I was taking analog electronics and our instructor came in and told us about a company called Intel and they make something called a microprocessor. So I have seen it all , it's truly amazing and i do not want to lose flying my drone....ever. Even if i have to go to a non GPS drone. i dont think the remote id is software from what i heard it will be cellular.
...and BTW I live in a non fly zone, i bought the Spark thinking I could fly it in my house in my yard, take pictures of my neighborhood...WRONG. I have to drive almost 10 miles to just fly my drone. I buy broken DJI Sparks and repair them, so to test them its a 20 mile round trip. I can't imagine what i would have said if someone told me back in the 70's ..or even 10 years ago I would have a remote controlled flying color camera that takes 720p movies, goes 30mph and it cost under $400.00

Last edited:
Like everything else. Rules have to be established because there are some idiots out there. 😙
exactly , everything needs some rules, but the remote id is way to draconian and its so Amazon can have drone deliveries and make even more money. as far as the rules and idiots i can't agree more. Reminds me of reading about back after WWl ex-military pilots and civilians bought surplus war biplanse and flew around the country. At night or if they met another pilot flying they would land in a vacant field and camp out and take off again in the morning just flying in no particular direction like Gypsies. Then there were the people that were reckless , did not maintain their planes, flew intoxicated. So for the few that were reckless they implemented pilots licenses...some pilots still did not apply.

exactly , everything needs some rules, but the remote id is way to draconian and its so Amazon can have drone deliveries and make even more money. as far as the rules and idiots i can't agree more. Reminds me of reading about back after WWl ex-military pilots and civilians bought surplus war biplanse and flew around the country. At night or if they met another pilot flying they would land in a vacant field and camp out and take off again in the morning just flying in no particular direction like Gypsies. Then there were the people that were reckless , did not maintain their planes, flew intoxicated. So for the few that were reckless they implemented pilots licenses...some pilots still did not apply.
If Amazon, etc. have pulled their BVLOS applications like mentioned above how do you figure the RID rules have anything to do with Amazon deliveries?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax